Aftermarket pulleys

Bayoulee

Reaction score
IMG_5877.PNG
IMG_5878.JPG
changing 383 from ac to non ac, and trying to find least expensive options (theyre all expensive). Ive had no luck finding used. Bouchillon has the pulleys but $$$$. I found this aluminum crank pulley on ebay for $30 less than the $92 from Bouchillon. Anyone had any experience with these or advisement? Thank you/ Lee

View attachment 141918 View attachment 141917 changing 383 from ac to non ac, and trying to find least expensive options (theyre all expensive). Ive had no luck finding used. Bouchillon has the pulleys but $$$$. I found this aluminum crank pulley on ebay for $30 less than the $92 from Bouchillon. Anyone had any experience with these or advisement? Thank you/ Lee
I trust you went to Bouchilon's site and read their ditty all about their pulleys. I'm sure there's a reason why their pulley is $92 and from my experience with purchases from them they don't peddle trash. As for the aluminum pulley, who ya gonna call if things go south with that one? Pulleys are like flex plates, some certified others look the part but have limitations, disastrous ones at that. A pulley stays in place by two means, hub-centricity and pressure applied by the retaining bolts. The rotating strength comes from the number of bolts against a certain material, it's thickness and resistance to distorting the retaining holes in an oblong manner. Unlike steel, aluminum has a tendency to compress under pressure so the maker of quality aluminum billet pulleys will tell you exactly what grade and spec of aluminum is used. They'll also tell you the thickness of the mounting web. Try pricing the one you're looking at from March which is aluminum as well. WTF! I don't know what grade aluminum they use in China but I think that's where all our obsolete fry pans go to make **** like that. One question, If your cranks turning 4000 rpm at the center, what do you think the rim of a 7" pulley is doing. If you can't afford $30 more that's fine, just be willing to take personal responsibility for any mishaps. "Live and learn" my dad use to always say. So my advice is to buy a quality part because I've never heard of or can imagine a quality billet aluminum pulley for $62.

Last edited:
I trust you went to Bouchilon's site and read their ditty all about their pulleys. I'm sure there's a reason why their pulley is $92 and from my experience with purchases from them they don't peddle trash. As for the aluminum pulley, who ya gonna call if things go south with that one? Pulleys are like flex plates, some certified others look the part but have limitations, disastrous ones at that. A pulley stays in place by two means, hub-centricity and pressure applied by the retaining bolts. The rotating strength comes from the number of bolts against a certain material, it's thickness and resistance to distorting the retaining holes in an oblong manner. Unlike steel, aluminum has a tendency to compress under pressure so the maker of quality aluminum billet pulleys will tell you exactly what grade and spec of aluminum is used. They'll also tell you the thickness of the mounting web. Try pricing the one you're looking at from March which is aluminum as well. WTF! I don't know what grade aluminum they use in China but I think that's where all our obsolete fry pans go to make **** like that. One question, If your cranks turning 4000 rpm at the center, what do you think the rim of a 7" pulley is doing. If you can't afford $30 more that's fine, just be willing to take personal responsibility for any mishaps. "Live and learn" my dad use to always say. So my advice is to buy a quality part because I've never heard of or can imagine a quality billet aluminum pulley for $62.
Point well taken I thought that one seemed awful inexpensive.. On the topic, is aluminum preferable for puleys, if it's quality aluminum?

Point well taken I thought that one seemed awful inexpensive.. On the topic, is aluminum preferable for puleys, if it's quality aluminum?
You need to talk to the folks that manufacture the pulley and see if they are certified and to what RPM. Because liability comes into play, they're usually honest about their product. Weight doesn't make a difference down there but strength and durability does. Even some suppliers of steel pulleys put a max RPM on their product before the stacked pulleys come apart. This particular pulley can do the most damage seconded by the fan pulley and a broken water pump shaft. Misalignment and over tensioning belts is the hardest on any pulley as well as the belts themselves. A point in note, I've never seen or heard of an OE pulley going ballistic even 50 year old ones. Some may differ.

Back