Aftermarket Volt, Oil, and Temp gauges in 68 Newport?

SGVert

Reaction score
Been thinking of adding volt, oil and temp gauges in my 68 Newport Vert and am brainstorming how and where to mount them. I’d rather not hack up anything up so here’s an idea…

I have an extra radio/vent ducted dash panel for a 68. (I do not have A/C, so my stock radio panel has a plate in the vent area)

upload_2021-6-8_19-46-19.jpeg

After removing the vent louvers and housing the open space on each side is 1 3/8” high x 4” wide.
Too small for even the smallest round gauges I’ve seen, but what about a set of rectangular LED gauges?

Opinions? I’ve only found a Volt gauge that is small enough to fit, but I’d love to make this work if anyone has any ideas…

You could fill the openings with smoke tint plexiglass and mount digital gauges behind. They would only show when the ignition was on.

There's plenty of digital gauges to choose from. You would just need to remove the guts from the housings to make them fit.

Jeff

Why not start off with the old fashioned tried and true DIY style that is completely reversible with no harm done to the dash or car. That way you have time to research what you want and have good working gauges in the meantime. You may just settle with the old way of doing things. I find no problem with it.
I personally find digital anything on an analog car not appealing but that is just me.

20190614_134137 (2).jpg
20191013_145032.jpg
20190614_122217 (1).jpg

Last edited:
I bought a Bosch voltmeter and converted my ammeter over. You can't tell. It all depends on your skill and comfort level. I prefer things looking stock if I can, but then again, I also put in a proper electric oil and temp gauge down by the gas pedal. Both are analogue. I do agree with keeping the look old skool. Digital in an old car just doesn't look right

If you're going with gauges in a panel as the above post... Spend a little more for good gauges. A lot of them are cheap **** and look it.

Back