Ah, the Great 383 Hemi!

Snotty

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Do any of you receive Hemmings Motor News? If so, did you read the results of Amelia Island Auction?

If not, turn to page 60 and read the description of the 1963 Facel Vega that was sold there. can't believe what I read:

"Several years ago, the car was restored in medium blue (and red leather), and a Chrysler 383-cu.in. Hemi V8 engine replaced the original Chrysler 383 wedge."

Wow! where can I get one?

I expect such a comment at a gas station and some car shows, but in this magazine?

Ever meet anyone that writes for these magazines? I've met several over the years.

You wouldn't be impressed.... and I'm being nice.

:lol:

It was bad enough about 8 years ago when they slammed a '69 Charger for being sold as "all original," when "We can see by the VIN that this car came with a 318, not a 383 as the seller states. We know this by the G in the VIN."

That would have been true, if the car were a '70!

The 383 Hemis were actually very strong performers in prostock in the late 70s.
Show me a picture, please. And, of a Mopar, not a stroked Chevy 350.

Also, the auction said it was restored with a "Chrysler 383 Hemi." I don't believe such an animal exists. I know in the 90's some companies were offering Hemi heads to convert LA motors, but a 318 Hemi was never built by Chrysler either.

So, if you have pictures and documentation, I'd love to see it.

sources: Hemi heads for the LA engine, the new hemi

"Welcome to the website devoted to the new HEMI. Based on the popular 340-360 Mopar
block, we have increased performance dramatically by making the small block breathe.

The heads were designed to bolt on to the small block and increase horsepower and torque by leaps and bounds.

The custom intake we offer allows the buyer to run a single 4 barrel, 2 fours or even a 671 blower
."

1686684212881.png

1686685882000.png
1686684251053.png
1686684292233.png

Two 360 Block Offerings (specs below), and one R3 (340-based?) block Option ($35K, 392-443 cu. in., 1,400 HP)

1686685309741.png

Last edited:
The 383 Hemis were actually very strong performers in prostock in the late 70s.

Show me a picture, please. And, of a Mopar, not a stroked Chevy 350.
Actually, there were plenty of destroked Hemi motors racing Pro Stock. John Hagen's Arrow is one example. John Hagen Pro Stock Arrow | Remlinger Muscle Cars Actually, I beleive that Hagen's engines were based on a 383 block and built by John Hietz. Sox and Martin ran a 396 and there were also 404 combos too. Some got as small as 366, and I believe that Don Carlton ran one for a while. IIRC the 366 was used in NASCAR because they didn't have to run restrictor plates in 366 and under.

There was a significant weight savings using a low deck 400 or 383 block with the Hemi heads. No, it's not a bolt it together in your garage deal... Lot's of $$ of custom work involved, but we are talking Pro Stock.

Actually, there were plenty of destroked Hemi motors racing Pro Stock. John Hagen's Arrow is one example. John Hagen Pro Stock Arrow | Remlinger Muscle Cars Actually, I beleive that Hagen's engines were based on a 383 block and built by John Hietz. Sox and Martin ran a 396 and there were also 404 combos too. Some got as small as 366, and I believe that Don Carlton ran one for a while. IIRC the 366 was used in NASCAR because they didn't have to run restrictor plates in 366 and under.

There was a significant weight savings using a low deck 400 or 383 block with the Hemi heads. No, it's not a bolt it together in your garage deal... Lot's of $$ of custom work involved, but we are talking Pro Stock.
Thank you :BangHead:

Tomorrow morning I will post some photos of 383 blocks modified by Gary Ostrich from Nevada, Iowa who raced Super Stockers and did experimental work for Chrysler Corp. He modded 383 blocks to accept Hemi heads for Pro Stock cu. in. restrictions.

Last edited:
Tomorrow morning I will post some photos of 383 blocks modified by Gary Ostrich from Nevada, Iowa who raced Super Stockers and did experimental work for Chrysler Corp. He modded 383 blocks to accept Hemi heads for Pro Stock cu. in. restrictions.
The hard part was welding the tube bosses for the intake head bolt.

383 block 2.jpeg

383 block.jpg

sources: Hemi heads for the LA engine, the new hemi

"Welcome to the website devoted to the new HEMI. Based on the popular 340-360 Mopar
block, we have increased performance dramatically by making the small block breathe.

The heads were designed to bolt on to the small block and increase horsepower and torque by leaps and bounds.

The custom intake we offer allows the buyer to run a single 4 barrel, 2 fours or even a 671 blower
."

View attachment 601595

View attachment 601603View attachment 601596View attachment 601597

Two 360 Block Offerings (specs below), and one R3 (340-based?) block Option ($35K, 392-443 cu. in., 1,400 HP)

View attachment 601602

Thanks for this, as this is what I was talking about. Funny how they seemed to vanish once Mopar started producing the 5.7 in their new cars.

To the rest who are talking about destroked motors, or altered 383s, my issue is with the statement, copied from the magazine, of "...and a Chrysler 383-cu.in. Hemi V8 engine replaced the original Chrysler 383 wedge." Are the rest if you trying to suggest that someone dropped a race block into a 1964 Facel Vega? If so, seriously, who would want to buy it? That would be like buying a Ferrari in which someone dropped an LS3 into. No thanks!

Back