Ain’t gonna be no rematch!

Triple Pickle

Reaction score
A few days ago my 70 Fury that you might be familiar with experienced multiple problems at once.
First, an intermittent ignition failure that shut off the engine and turned it back on a few seconds later while going down the road, which caused a backfire that blew up the muffler. I suspect the orange box was the cause of that.
Second, the oil light came on and,long story short, the cause of that was a spun cam bearing.
I glad nobody bought this when I had for sale here!
I haven’t the energy or desire to go another 12 rounds with this Slant 6.
So, it will be going up for sale pretty soon, price adjusted accordingly.

7FC22A9B-E0FE-43C1-A144-EA12AB8BD99C.jpeg

Be sure to check the wires going to the coil, if the nut backed off it will have that affect, that's a pretty scary boom.

Be sure to check the wires going to the coil, if the nut backed off it will have that affect, that's a pretty scary boom.
They were plenty tight when I took them off to remove the blown up engine! Lol

wow Marty that sucks big time!! All the love you gave Mickey and he croaked,just sucks

wow Marty that sucks big time!! All the love you gave Mickey and he croaked,just sucks
I’m just glad it didn’t happen to someone else! I had every confidence in it. It did great until it didn’t.
Oh well, I’m thinking about taking up quilting and get out this wrenching on stuff.

I would have to know why it lunched itself.
I pull out of the garage and headed to town,it died and then came back to life blowing out the muffler. I turned around to head back home and when I pulled in the garage the oil pressure light came on. Upon investigation, the #3 cam bearing had spun and walked out. That’s about all there is to it. It all happened within 3 miles. I’m totally apathetic about it. I’m planning to list it on here as soon as I come up with a fair price. If it doesn’t garner any interest it’s going out in the pasture.

Last edited:
What is involved to fix a spun cam bearing? Can a new bearing just be pressed in or do all the bearings have to be removed, line bored and new ones pressed in as a set?

What is involved to fix a spun cam bearing? Can a new bearing just be pressed in or do all the bearings have to be removed, line bored and new ones pressed in as a set?
It all depends on the extent of the damage done. That includes what damage occurred due to loss of oil pressure to the crank and rod bearings.

1971 slant 6 225 3.7L 3787cc w/ 1BBL Holley 1920 carb would like to sell the engine (air-cleaner to oil pan) and 904 trans to someone looking for a complete turn key setup. Can also consider throwing in the new 2.5” TTI exhaust system and new Aluminum Champion Radiator and other extras. OEM A/C system Drop it in your Mopar or hot rod rat rod
385739673_10220325729328252_4065953581174098858_n.jpg
384517044_10220325729288251_7089350987472237794_n.jpg
383980452_10220325729248250_3090255203618804844_n.jpg

I would be doing this :BangHead: and would not stop. Can't imagine the frustration.
I have a a bunch of time and money in that engine and a lot of frustration. Not counting what I put in the car.
If it doesn’t sell I’m going to park it out back and when I get the notion to buy another project I’ll go out and stare at it. That’ll save me a lot of money in the future. So in a way,it’s really going to pay off! No such thing as a free education and I don’t even have student loan debt to worry about!

I’m done with this car. it’s cursed! All these people who say they’d put a 440 in it can step right up, Ill cheat you right! I mean treat!
LOL.
That sucks. Cool car. Sometimes I want to putter around in my yard and forget my cars exist. Weedtrimmer zone out.

[/URL]

1971 slant 6 225 3.7L 3787cc w/ 1BBL Holley 1920 carb would like to sell the engine (air-cleaner to oil pan) and 904 trans to someone looking for a complete turn key setup. Can also consider throwing in the new 2.5” TTI exhaust system and new Aluminum Champion Radiator and other extras. OEM A/C system Drop it in your Mopar or hot rod rat rod
View attachment 619780View attachment 619781View attachment 619782
That’s a good deal! I wish that was available when I started this project. I’m slightly tempted but, no. Although this would be a great combo for someone.. my car and this engine.

I’m done with this car. it’s cursed!

I think just the engine is cursed. After all the trouble you went through in your excellent thread "1970 Fury I stripper!", this really is disappointing. I've blown up a couple of sets of mufflers due to those damn intermittent "brain boxes", but it didn't have any effect on the engine, though both times it was in park.

Could it be coincidental that these things happened so close together? How many miles since the rebuild? And I recall your wait time at the engine shop being lengthy, dare I ask what their policy is in these situations? Apologies for all the questions, not trying to rub dirt in the wound, just curious.

Back