Aluminum Cylinder Heads

A few comments on if this was mine to build... These are all my opinions based on my experiences with them.
Building bigger will cost no more than building smaller. IMO if you want a 451, just build a 446 (stock 440 with .030 overbore) as they will be cheaper overall to do.
You can use various parts to get the displacement up to 512. My advice would be avoid the 4.15 crank and RB rod. Stick with the 4.25 or 3.915 with the B rod. They will cost the same to build, and the 4.25 stroke will give you a feelable torque boost over the 3.75 or 3.915.
Source is a good place for a kit. Not kit should be ordered balanced by them. No kit should be assumed to be 100% ready to drop in as delievered. Rods will neeed attention at least in terms of serious inspection. I always budget the rods being resized. The pin ends need to be honed to fit - not sanded by hand as Source suggests. The crank needs to be carefully measured and a decision made as to if it's good enough as is or need turning to remove the taper that it will always have. Also check the clearances carefully by measuring - plastigge is not accurate enough to use when working with all aftermarket parts. Most of the kits I've used were tight - almost too tight. B wedge kits will need the rod bearings chamfered before mock up.I build to take advantage of quench. I would be building this with dished pistons and bringing the piston to where I get a minimum piston to head distance of .035 when using a .039 gasket.
The only heads that have straight plugs are the Stealth heads from 'Source. All the Edelbrocks are the same aside from the chamber volume and open or closed. The head choice depends on displacement and pistons used. All will need to go to a good performance head shop to be checked and corrected prior to running. Some may need parts to complete them, or parts replaced due to poor quality and inadequate performance with the cam used.
I would not use an MP cam unless it was forced on me. Ther are MUCH better designs, not necessarilly because they are split pattern, just because they are better camshafts. MP are made as total junk these days. The designs were good when the major grinders were not focussing on Mopar stuff. That was in the 1980s. The heads you're looking at are modern. The pistons are modern. The fuel used is modern. So why would you want to run a camshaft designed with you could get 110 leaded from the pump for $.60/gallon? The cam you will want will be larger than what you're looking at currently. Big engines need a little more static compression, and bigger engines need larger camshafts. Small camshafts can cause problems in big motors on pump gas.
You will also want to use an appropriately sized carburetor. Exhaust manifolds are not a big deal with the Stealths. Headers will be better on any larger engine.

Bob, I don't know what your plans are regarding exhaust, but if you don't plan on running headers it does not seem like the cost of the aluminum heads is justified.
I am in the middle of doing the same thing you are and I am still trying to decide whether to use a massaged set of 906's with HP manifolds or to buy the trick flows and headers. I will be using a forged 440 crank a set of eagle rods and Diamond pistons.
I agree with Moper on never assuming a crank no matter who the manufacturer is, K1, Eagle, Scat etc. you have to have it checked by a really good crankshaft guy.

I remember reading an article when the V10s came out saying bigger pistons are less efficient such as in a big block. Smaller pistons but more of them are more efficient for creating power and burning less fuel. Im not sure how that applies here , I just remember reading it.
What about the whole a stroked engine shorten the life of said engine over a regular build? There is a current thread on here that had that conversation within the discussion. Does it indeed shorten the life span of said engine?

I remember reading an article when the V10s came out saying bigger pistons are less efficient such as in a big block. Smaller pistons but more of them are more efficient for creating power and burning less fuel. Im not sure how that applies here , I just remember reading it.
What about the whole a stroked engine shorten the life of said engine over a regular build? There is a current thread on here that had that conversation within the discussion. Does it indeed shorten the life span of said engine?
I think the shortened engine life of a 451 would be directly proportionate to the self control in your right foot.

I built a 9:1 4.15 stroke 440 based 493 for my New Yorker with 84cc RPM heads. I used a 34cc reverse dome piston to hit that CR. 8.97:1 to be exact at zero deck.

It makes 600 ft/lbs and 500 HP on 87 regular gas with a way wrong for the application MP509 cam.

If I was to do it again it would be a 4.25 stroke 511 with 2.2 rod journals that usually requires zero block clearanceing just because it's 18 more cubes for the same money and less labor. The Mopar size journals require some minor block grinding to fit. The 2.2 Chev journals as a rule don't.

I would also go with the new Trickflow heads instead of the RPM's.

Cam would be an MP528 solid that is very iron manifold friendly.

IMHO a 451 in a NYB is just no bang for the same buck as a 511 which will make enough torque from off idle to make the earth turn backwards.

Kevin.

Last edited:
Well said moper. Nice to see you over here

451 Manifesto | AR Engineering
Here is a link to the 451 Manifesto . This is for the 451 but it applies through out the 400 stroker range . Its a good read and will explain a lot.
This article was written several years before 440 Source and others came out with kits. Another good stroker is the 383 B Block , like the 400 's there are a butt load of them and stroking really wakes them up.

I see a lot of stroked 400's in race cars.

451 Manifesto | AR Engineering
Here is a link to the 451 Manifesto . This is for the 451 but it applies through out the 400 stroker range . Its a good read and will explain a lot.
This article was written several years before 440 Source and others came out with kits. Another good stroker is the 383 B Block , like the 400 's there are a butt load of them and stroking really wakes them up.

This is exactly why I decided to go with the 451 build.

I'm leaning towards the Mopar Performance 440/6 restoration cam. I actually know 2 guys that have that cam and I have ridden in those cars.

My end goal is to still be able to take her on the road from Maryland to Green bay on pump gas with no worries. And to be able to drive coast to coast at any given time once I retire for good.

I built a 9:1 4.15 stroke 440 based 493 for my New Yorker with 84cc RPM heads. I used a 34cc reverse dome piston to hit that CR. 8.97:1 to be exact at zero deck.

It makes 600 ft/lbs and 500 HP on 87 regular gas with a way wrong for the application MP509 cam.

If I was to do it again it would be a 4.25 stroke 511 with 2.2 rod journals that usually requires zero block clearanceing just because it's 18 more cubes for the same money and less labor. The Mopar size journals require some minor block grinding to fit. The 2.2 Chev journals as a rule don't.

I would also go with the new Trickflow heads instead of the RPM's.

Cam would be an MP528 solid that is very iron manifold friendly.

IMHO a 451 in a NYB is just no bang for the same buck as a 511 which will make enough torque from off idle to make the earth turn backwards.

Kevin.

I believe Matt had a 509 cam in his 71 440 Charger.

I'm still undecided on heads.

Just a reminder that this build is for a 78 NYB.

To start....no one makes headers for a Formal. I don't want to fabricate or mod B-Body headers and will definitely use exhaust manifolds. Angled plug aluminum heads are out. The stealth heads are the only ones with straight plugs. The alternative to stealth heads is that I have 2 sets of 452's with hardened exhausts that I could rebuild and lower the CR a bit. If I go with iron heads I think the max CR I want to run is around 9.5/1.

To start....no one makes headers for a Formal. I don't want to fabricate or mod B-Body headers and will definitely use exhaust manifolds. Angled plug aluminum heads are out. The stealth heads are the only ones with straight plugs. The alternative to stealth heads is that I have 2 sets of 452's with hardened exhausts that I could rebuild and lower the CR a bit. If I go with iron heads I think the max CR I want to run is around 9.5/1.

Bob,
I have a pair of Stealth Heads and it is imperative that you have them checked out before bolting them on. The casting is fine and offers good performance increases. However the machining and assembly needs to be fully checked before use. I had mine shipped directly to Modern Cylinder Head from 440 Source. BTW Modern has a CNC program already written if you want more out of these heads. Alternatively the iron heads with bigger valves and some bowl work would offer some nice gains at half the price of the aluminum heads and if you were ever in the situation where you got the engine really hot the iron heads would be much more forgiving.

Also here is an excerpt from the Muscle Motors website regarding the 400 engine:

400 Block

In my 29+ years experience, the 400 block is THE best wedge block for performance engine builds. There are number of factors that make me say this. 1) bore size: the 400 has the biggest starting bore @ 4.340. Bigger bores unshroud the valves and allows the cylinder head to flow more air. As we all learned in “engine building 101”: the more airflow you have, the more power you can make! 2) The short deck height makes the cylinders more stable, and the block itself fits better in tight fit applications. The shorter deck height also means a shorter/lighter piston. Factory blocks don’t really like a lot of stroke (two bolt mains) so we try to limit performance and race engine builds to a 4.25 stroke. Limiting stroke helps minimize main cap walk and improves block durability. Since we don’t run very large stroke, we can then use a 6.535 long rod and a 1.300ish compression height piston. This creates a combo with a good rod ratio, short/light piston without having the wrist pin intersect the oil ring and a piston that is still tall enough to accommodate any valve pocket depth and or ring package. 3) main size: the 2.625 size main bearing require less oil to maintain a hydrodynamic wedge (this is the “wedge” of oil that separates the crank from the bearings) and the smaller main size also leaves more material in the block around the main studs/saddles. This is important because the block is the weakest link when building a performance engine in a stock block. When we build a high performance 400 or 440 block, we will use a main stud girdle for power ranging from 650-750 HP. For power levels over 750 HP we will upgrade the main caps themselves as well as at least a partial filling of the water jacket with cement for bottom end stability. Other than a somewhat limited availability of good core blocks, the 400 is my favorite engine block to build.

400 stroked to 451,
9.0:1 CR,
Purple cam,
and using reworked 452 heads.
This is a NYB...

B0220000GR0000027700808080346WH0000AFA,dont-hate-because-im-sensible.jpg

Bob,
I have a pair of Stealth Heads and it is imperative that you have them checked out before bolting them on. The casting is fine and offers good performance increases. However the machining and assembly needs to be fully checked before use. I had mine shipped directly to Modern Cylinder Head from 440 Source. BTW Modern has a CNC program already written if you want more out of these heads. Alternatively the iron heads with bigger valves and some bowl work would offer some nice gains at half the price of the aluminum heads and if you were ever in the situation where you got the engine really hot the iron heads would be much more forgiving.

Also here is an excerpt from the Muscle Motors website regarding the 400 engine:

400 Block

In my 29+ years experience, the 400 block is THE best wedge block for performance engine builds. There are number of factors that make me say this. 1) bore size: the 400 has the biggest starting bore @ 4.340. Bigger bores unshroud the valves and allows the cylinder head to flow more air. As we all learned in “engine building 101”: the more airflow you have, the more power you can make! 2) The short deck height makes the cylinders more stable, and the block itself fits better in tight fit applications. The shorter deck height also means a shorter/lighter piston. Factory blocks don’t really like a lot of stroke (two bolt mains) so we try to limit performance and race engine builds to a 4.25 stroke. Limiting stroke helps minimize main cap walk and improves block durability. Since we don’t run very large stroke, we can then use a 6.535 long rod and a 1.300ish compression height piston. This creates a combo with a good rod ratio, short/light piston without having the wrist pin intersect the oil ring and a piston that is still tall enough to accommodate any valve pocket depth and or ring package. 3) main size: the 2.625 size main bearing require less oil to maintain a hydrodynamic wedge (this is the “wedge” of oil that separates the crank from the bearings) and the smaller main size also leaves more material in the block around the main studs/saddles. This is important because the block is the weakest link when building a performance engine in a stock block. When we build a high performance 400 or 440 block, we will use a main stud girdle for power ranging from 650-750 HP. For power levels over 750 HP we will upgrade the main caps themselves as well as at least a partial filling of the water jacket with cement for bottom end stability. Other than a somewhat limited availability of good core blocks, the 400 is my favorite engine block to build.
I once spent 85 dollars for a 69 polara. It had a 71 casting date with HP on the pad and was orange in color. I've said since the first day I drove a car with that engine it was my best engine ever. I'm glad they're getting recognized.

I don't think you would do bad with iron heads Bob.
I would be tempted to have them cut to almost eliminate the dead area across from the valves, creating a quench or turbulence to stave off detonation, they would need to be cc'd but you should end up somewhere in the low 80s then calculating with the piston at zero deck figure out flat top/dish to adjust your compression around 9:1.
Since you will not be running a big camshaft you will not need to reduce the size of the guide bosses for dual springs (saving some money).
You can play with some porting before you send for a valve job, knock the bumps off the bowl area, profile the guide in the ports and gasket match and straighten the pushrod pinch (basically blend it into the gasket match). With the cam you are looking at anything more will end up wasting time and or money.

Last edited:
I don't think you would do bad with iron heads Bob.
I would be tempted to have them cut to almost eliminate the dead area across from the valves, they would need to be cc'd but you should end up somewhere in the low 80s then calculating with the piston at zero deck figure out flat top/dish to adjust your compression around 9:1.
Since you will not be running a big camshaft you will not need to reduce the size of the guide bosses for dual springs (saving some money).
You can play with some porting before you send for a valve job, knock the bumps off the bowl area, profile the guide in the ports and gasket match and straighten the pushrod pinch (basically blend it into the gasket match). With the cam you are looking at anything more will end up wasting time and or money.

Dave/Stan, and others....

This is looking more like the direction I will probably end up going. It'll be a a sustainable engine when done. I will be able to run on pump gas and drive anywhere with it. The best part is that it will bolt back together with ease.

Back