And so it begins...

That is going to be one badass combo, has2bmopar! Keep us posted, I can't wait to see it!

Well, I've gotten some more detail items worked out on the ol' girl. I got an alignment and was able to get some more caster in it, so she really seems to track much better now. I cleaned up the fender mount signals and they both now work. I finally found a cowl drain plug, so no more ugly hole in the firewall to have to look at. I tinted the windows, so she looks a little more low key now. I also got the missing plastic dash piece for under the steering column, and I'm trying to get a color match on some paint for it right now. And, I got some color matching (well, almost) floor mats.

Round 2 of the bigger stuff will be taking place within the next week or so. On the agenda this go around is a 3.23 sure grip pumpkin, a mild B&M converter (2400 stall), a trans cooler, a radiator boil out and pinhole leak repair, massaging the rear inner fenders for tire clearance, and losing those exhaust tips for some Super Bee style ones. I'll post up some more pics when I clear this next hurdle.:toothy9:

Last edited:
God that's beautiful! That has to be one of my favorite Mopar colors of all time.

X2! That is a beautiful car man and I love it ... you are doing exactly what I would do with it except I'd be running some Dunlop GT Qualifier or Firestone Indy RWL tires and 68 Dodge R/T or Superbee chrome extensions but you said you plan to add them. Great score brother.

The grill emblem your buddy made is quite tasteful and way better than nothing or the broken original. Oh, one other thought I'd probably put a 383 Commando (or is it a 440?) pie pan on that chrome air cleaner.

Thanks, Tallhair! I've tried to keep the mods subtle with it. I kind of go back and forth on the RWL tire thing. It looks good on some cars, but I just thought it was a little too "aggressive" for this sled. And although this is definitely no drag car, I think the gears and stall will help it out of the hole with the cam and 29" tall rear tires I have on it.

The grill emblem did turn out pretty well as it is, but I am actually going to try to add a small later model Newport emblem I scored on Ebay into it to give it some depth. We'll see how that turns out.

And I agree that the air cleaner needs something. I was looking around for a twin snorkel one to use, but they want a dang mint for those things! Sheesh! I myself had also thought about the 383 pie pan for the air cleaner, and may just wind up going that route.

Thanks again for the input!:icon_thumright:

Welcome brother. You could also put the pie pan decal directly on the chrome air cleaner .. http://www.classicindustries.com/mopar/parts/md910.html. I ran Firstone Raised white outline tires on road wheels on my 67 sport fury and it looked great.

md910.jpg

Came across this 68 300 w/ white letters for ref

15936129-770-0.jpg

md910.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, that 300 droptop looks great with the RWL tires. I dunno, I'm gonna leave 'em for now, but something to think about I guess. Speaking of thinking about it, that pie pan sticker is looking real good to me!

Round 2 of the bigger stuff will be taking place within the next week or so. On the agenda this go around is a 3.23 sure grip pumpkin, a mild B&M converter (2400 stall), a trans cooler, a radiator boil out and pinhole leak repair, massaging the rear inner fenders for tire clearance, and losing those exhaust tips for some Super Bee style ones.

I have purchased 2 B&M Holeshot converters in the past, and will not do it again.

The 1st one I put in my '70 Road Runner and it holds as tight as a factory 12" converter... :thinker:

The 2nd one destroyed the front pump in the transmission and filled it with filings within 10 miles due to a very sloppy weld on the hub... :rant:

I would recommend looking into a Precision or Dynamic converter.

Hmmm, I hope their quality hasn't gone into the toilet. I had one many years ago that I put into a Duster I had. I have since sold it, but it's still in service as far as I know. I do have a Dynamic in my '77 Charger, but it's a blown drag car. To be sure, it is damn near bulletproof, but it was also $1400. With this being a driver, without big power and no real plans for the track, I was hoping to avoid the big $ that those go for.

Let's just say that I sincerely hope you are wrong in my case, as it is sitting right here and I've already made plans to meet my buddy at his shop tomorrow evening for the install. We shall see. I do appreciate the heads up, though. Fingers crossed...:eusa_pray:

Let's just say that I sincerely hope you are wrong in my case, as it is sitting right here and I've already made plans to meet my buddy at his shop tomorrow evening for the install. We shall see. I do appreciate the heads up, though. Fingers crossed...:eusa_pray:

Once your bell housing is tight and you are ready to put in the converter bolts, be sure that you can push the converter back away from the flex plate.

If you have some play forward and back, there should be no pressure against your front pump.

Well, it took longer than expected, but round 2 is finally complete. I must say, it has just been one thing after another. First, the converter had a different bolt pattern, so in came a new flexplate. Then, we found out the radiator core was cracked and almost unfixable, so I had to get a new radiator. Then, the temp gauge shot craps, so I had to have it warrantied. Finally, I discovered a split in the sidewall of one of my new tires, so I had a replacement shipped to me. Whew! Now that it's done though, the difference in driving is dramatic! The converter, shift kit, and gears really woke the car up. It is much quicker away from a stoplight even with less throttle. And with the Sure Grip, I can now blow through my tire budget twice as fast!:3gears: The new KYB shocks really firmed up the handling too, without adding any harshness. I also finally got those "frame tubing" tips changed out for some more subtle ones. In addition, I installed a trans cooler, got the windows tinted, added a proper side mirror, got some color matching (well, close anyway) floor mats, and added a cool vintage, "no name" tach I found on Ebay. It's been trying at times, but she's really starting to come together!:grin:

2013-06-07_10.25.44.jpg

2013-06-07_10.26.51.jpg

2013-06-07_10.36.32.jpg

2013-06-07_10.28.32.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome! Thanks for the updates .. hows about you get a friend with a camera and take us on a virtual ride along

KYB's are amazing shocks and a great suspension improvement!

x2 on the pictures request.

The tach is in the very similar design of the Sun tachs of the day used by Chevrolets for example from the factory, maybe a little earlier till the mid 60s. Fits in nicely.

Last edited:
Sounds like you've been having fun.........Always nice to see a project in motion.Excellent!

Well, I will fall somewhere in between those, but definitely closer to the first pic. So I guess that puts me in kind of semi-chub territory then? :laughing7: There is some chrome, but just a few bits to set off that beautiful turquoise! Here are some in progress pics so you can kind of see where I'm heading with this thing.

You could always consider something like this...this was the engine in my 63 Dodge 440.

Engine exposed.jpg

P1010057.jpg

Back