Fuse box "Console", no fuse in place?

daMoose52

Reaction score
Bought my 70 Newport last fall, had it long enough to get her running with new carburetor and brakes and make a list of items to look into before storing it for the winter. Bigger issue was a lack of a working gas gauge, but the radio, odometer, and trip odometer weren't working either. On the gas gauge I found a few posts here about issues with the electrical being the cause, and with the radio not working too I figured that first chance I got I'd look into the electrical. Storage facility did the pick ups today, so I got her back out, did some cleaning and touch ups, and took a quick look at the fuse box. I seem to be missing a fuse for "Console," but its also missing a clamp on the right side?
Am I on a right track, that fuse impacts my gauges and radio and I am missing something here, or is that slot just not used on the 70 and I'm chasing a red herring?

438051469_428145333236242_6928276663330094356_n.jpg

I'm pretty sure that's empty unless your car has that option.
Gas gauge is usually the fault of the ground strap under the car at the sending unit.
I'd check the antenna connection for the radio then the power connections.
I've never had a 70 Chrysler dash apart like I have a fuselage dodge and Plymouth. The odometer is mechanical, not electric. If your speedometer is working I'd presume that assembly has to come out to see what is amiss.

I'm pretty sure that's empty unless your car has that option.
Gas gauge is usually the fault of the ground strap under the car at the sending unit.
I'd check the antenna connection for the radio then the power connections.
I've never had a 70 Chrysler dash apart like I have a fuselage dodge and Plymouth. The odometer is mechanical, not electric. If your speedometer is working I'd presume that assembly has to come out to see what is amiss.
Speedometer is working fine (thankfully!), radio doesn't seem to have power period so I'll root around that. I DID see the grounding strap conversation about the fuel gauge so that was my next stop if the fuse box wasn't the case, so thanks for confirming the likelihood of that one :)

I don't have a great spot right now to "work" so I couldn't get a great look at the gas tank for the sending unit/ground question.
BUT, I did get into the engine bay today for some poking around. Found a disconnected connector, which would appear to plug into the empty portion of the fuse block in the engine bay. I'm going over some of the diagrams and manuals now as best I can, but figured I'd drop a pic here as well and see if anyone had some thoughts.
I'm more of a computer/arcade/video game console repair tech than a car guy, but unplugged connections always raise eyebrows; sometimes its just not used and the connection dangles, sometimes its "I can't get the damn thing to work but I can live without it so I'm going to leave it unplugged." If it jumps out to anyone as something that SHOULD be plugged in, let me know :)
Connector has wires in the two lower ports, and the cable seems to run back up to the dash.

438065369_979675140391632_2597789115519149649_n.jpg

Back