And Then It caught Fire

david hill

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
On a short test drive My very reliable 300 jerked twice. Pulling into the first parking lot wisp or black smoke appeared. Opening the hood revealed a fire down by the fuel pump. I immediately put the fire out. Damage was contained to a cooked dist. and dist. cap. burned wiring to the temp sender, alternator and melted the fan shroud. Most parts I can source except for a fan shroud. Do any members have one I can buy. I am traveling to Fl. on 11/4 I have this car entered in the MOPAR'S w/ Big Daddy car show. All help would be deeply appreciated in locating parts.

On a short test drive My very reliable 300 jerked twice. Pulling into the first parking lot wisp or black smoke appeared. Opening the hood revealed a fire down by the fuel pump. I immediately put the fire out. Damage was contained to a cooked dist. and dist. cap. burned wiring to the temp sender, alternator and melted the fan shroud. Most parts I can source except for a fan shroud. Do any members have one I can buy. I am traveling to Fl. on 11/4 I have this car entered in the MOPAR'S w/ Big Daddy car show. All help would be deeply appreciated in locating parts.
Damn, that doesn't sound good. Post up a parts wanted thread to attract some attention for the parts you need..

Dave, what size radiator for the shroud? A/C car? I may have a shroud..

David: Do you know what caused the fire? Fuel line? If all other sources prove unfruitful, you may want to try here:

Fan Shroud 66-70 C Body 26" - 2785479

Rip

Years ago with my first New Yorker I experienced something simaliar to the jerking. What it turned out to be was the firing harness right behind the alternator was shorting together. Mine didn't result in a fire. It sounds like you will have to replace this wiring so if it was the cause it should be fixed.

I'm sure glad that you caught it as quickly as you did.

Damage was contained to a cooked dist. and dist. cap. burned wiring to the temp sender, alternator and melted the fan shroud.

I'm glad you caught it before things got out of control.

I do have a NOS 26 shroud

20211021_225118.jpg

20211021_225124.jpg

20211021_225133.jpg

David, Manny's NOS one is your best bet.
Given the time constraint for the show, Im afraid the used shroud I have will not get to you on time.
Manny is closer to you and given the quality of your car the NOS would be best.

I am Having problems w/ finding a dist. pick up for my 300. At no surprise the manufacturer quality found is pretty bad to NFG. Example, Standard Ignition pickup are made in China w/ not worth a crap quality. The exact problem none will plug into my engine harness. What is currently being offered the rubber shoulder is shorter than the original OEM. It leaves the terminals w/o enough depth to clip together, see pics below. Does anyone have a proven source for correct parts and part #'s. I would settle for a use good pickup as Ocala is a little over a week away.

I am Having problems w/ finding a dist. pick up for my 300. At no surprise the manufacturer quality found is pretty bad to NFG. Example, Standard Ignition pickup are made in China w/ not worth a crap quality. The exact problem none will plug into my engine harness. What is currently being offered the rubber shoulder is shorter than the original OEM. It leaves the terminals w/o enough depth to clip together, see pics below. Does anyone have a proven source for correct parts and part #'s. I would settle for a use good pickup as Ocala is a little over a week away.
I’d check with @halifaxhops…

Back