Another One Before, Well, As The Snow Flies

It's got some dings, but damn, I have a complete set! The car fits my scruffy standard, that's for sure. I bet it was a looker when it was new.
No Doubt. Mine's a little dinged up in places. More worrisome is sheet metal screw someone drove in through the passenger side rocker when it came loose... which I don't get anyway. It looks like a lot of the clips on mine are broken as nothing lines up quite right.... but yea, it's all there!

Wrong carb kit! Got one ordered, I'll see it Saturday. I'll replace one gasket that tore, and putter around til then. Got an alternator belt set aside, and a spare battery charging! Gonna drive it to work tomorrow, it only a few miles away, so why not?

Cleaned up the carb, sprayed all the passages and gave everything a good blasting.

All buttoned back up. Haven't put an alternator back in, all I had is one that is rated for much higher amps than stock.

IMG_20190425_182940.jpg

Then I noticed this, and check movement, it was stiff and sticky;

IMG_20190425_184047.jpg

So I pulled the throttle cable off the kickdown linkage, and things moved much more smoothly. I'll take it out in the morning and see how it runs.

IMG_20190425_184337.jpg

The wipers don't work at the moment, so I applied Rain-X to the windshield, and Rain-X AntiFog to all the interior glass, as the selector doesn't give me the Defrost setting. I am curious how the AntiFog will work, I haven't used it before. Rain-X I was sold on years ago, plenty of past use.

The neighbor came over and gave me some crap about getting another toy. Good to know he doesn't mind my car addiction.

Some more notes on options and their condition.

The cruise control is unhooked at the carb and vacuum tee on brake booster. I have the standard throttle bracket, not sure if I'd need anything else to hook it back up. I'm pretty sure there's another bracket, but I can't recall.

The remote trunk release doesn't work, but there's vacuum lines that are disconnected in the engine compartment I need to chase.

The glove box is in tatters where the button is. That's two cars that need a new glove box liner.

The clock doesn't work.

Heat A/C selector not switching to Defrost, but fan works at all speeds.

Need some bulbs in the dash replaced, and some turn signal bulbs and cornering lights also. And a bright headlight.

All the interior lights work.

IMG_20190425_224204.jpg

Looks hungry.

IMG_20190425_224232.jpg

That's a nice rear end.

IMG_20190425_224247.jpg

Drove the car to work today, what a difference! The car accelerates much better, takes off and goes like it should. I'm sure it needs plugs and wires, at least looked at, but increasing the line pressure in the transmission makes it scoot! Timing to be checked tomorrow if the weather isn't too bad.

Looked for seatbelts in the rear, and found the seat bottom wasn't attached! Made finding the belts easy, and also showed I'm missing at least one body plug in the floor. Perhaps for drainage from the leaky rear window? I'll see if the rain tonight and tomorrow tell me more about it.

I had a fun ride in, still chuggy, but it was fun to press the gas and have the car move out nicely. Not sure how much the carb cleaning did, but at least it got cleaned a bit. And it fired up on the second attempt (fluid still used) without refilling the bowls. Nice to know my pump is strong!

It needs tires sooner than later, got some sweet cracks around the outside of the sidewall.

One pump on the pedal, turn the key, rrr, rrr, and it fired! 39° and the windows aren't fogged over. I'm liking it. It'll sit for a day or two, and then I'll see how it starts.

15563643822534871746507781075680.jpg

More rain, saw this when I got in the car after work.

IMG_20190430_073023.jpg

IMG_20190430_073026.jpg

IMG_20190430_073017.jpg

Judging by the rust looking stuff next to the rainwater, I don't really want to take off the trim to investigate the source of the leak... But I don't want to ruin the seat, either.

When I was walking around the car yesterday I took a glance at the Airtemp decal, it's in great shape and the nicest one I've had on my cars. I guess the car got parked at least that far into the garage it lived in for much of it's life.

IMG_20190429_084110.jpg

IMG_20190429_084115.jpg

More rain, saw this when I got in the car after work.

View attachment 282353

View attachment 282354

View attachment 282355

Judging by the rust looking stuff next to the rainwater, I don't really want to take off the trim to investigate the source of the leak... But I don't want to ruin the seat, either.
Yea, I feel your pain though I’ve still not found water anywhere but the trunk... the mouse crap under the package tray maybe the absorball in my case though.

My feeling is that while opening it up to investigate may be a can o worms, the more crap you can strip away from that area, the less water can get trapped in. I plan on ripping mine open when it gets back from suspension if only for that reason... well, that and to change the mouse poo.

I made the mistake of screwing with the timing, and now it runs even worse! But I shouldn't have touched it to begin with as the carb hasn't been squared away yet. Got the correct kit for it, will go through it today or tomorrow. A shot of my Pertronix(?) in the distributor.

IMG_20190505_152413.jpg

So I moved on to checking the bulbs that aren't working. I grabbed the owners 's manual to find out what bulbs I'd need, and discovered I have the original owners manual. Pretty neat to have that ride along with the car it's entire life. And it's mint, I thought it was a reproduction. Even has the original owners name, and the selling dealers name. The Jones Motor Inc, which is still in business today. I got the information I didn't think I'd get for the car (FCA/Chrysler Historical only goes through '67 if I'm not mistaken) and I had it all along. I just glanced at the manual, said "cool", and put it back in the car's folder. Gotta check paperwork! :BangHead:

IMG_20190505_161729.jpg

So the carb needs to be gone through, the distributor might need the vacuum advance adjusted, and hopefully it will get worked out sooner than later.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:Now a new question comes to mind. Which car will you bring to Volo Il. In June. Excellent score right out of my home town.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:Now a new question comes to mind. Which car will you bring to Volo Il. In June. Excellent score right out of my home town.
She's probably the one. Just chasing the timing/carb issues. I have carbs laying around, might swap distributors and do the electronic ignition route. Still going to play with the current configuration, it ran great, but it wasn't right. Timing was all the way in at idle, no vacuum advance hooked up. All kinds if little things to fix. Lights are on my hit list right now. Those side marker lights look like they'll be fun to replace!

Hopefully the previous owner can make it to Volo, I'd love to see his car again. @Sam392 :poke:

Well, I did a little dinking around in the car today, went through the distributor, trying to find something wrong with it, and I couldn't. But I took.it apart and made myself familiar with it,and the Accel XR700 ignition system (now Fireball in name). The vacuum canister worked when I sucked on the hose, I thought I was getting full advance at idle, but now I'm confused. I'll check the timing,and will probably end up putting a spare Edelbrock carburetor on, but I'll try to get the Holley running first. Time to go do some quick reading, and get back to it, so I can take this to the show Friday. New tires should be at the shop waiting for me.

IMG_20190529_132745.jpg

IMG_20190529_132803.jpg

Also put an o ring on the distributor, as it didn't have one, but it does have a gasket for the hole you drop it in! Engine has original soot and grime inside, I left it for posterity.

Last edited:
Scott, I took this distributor and coil out of my 300's 413. I'm not real familiar with these. Accel electronic conversion, I think. This is the distributor number too. Any thoughts?

20190529_171004.jpg

20190529_171149.jpg

Scott, I took this distributor and coil out of my 300's 413. I'm not real familiar with these. Accel electronic conversion, I think. This is the distributor number too. Any thoughts?

View attachment 290091

View attachment 290092
It's definitely Accel, maybe a newer version, the pickup wheel has vertical slots vs mine with the horizontal slots. Did it work? Mine works, just not sure what's the issue in my car, and need to sort out the carburetor also.

So I got kicked in the nuts by the car.

IMG_20190529_193300.jpg

I'll have to see if my Chinese aluminum radiator will bolt in. I also have to dig through my pulleys to find a dual groove to use so I have an alternator that works. The single groove pulley I have rubs the power steering pump belt. Nothing like seeing how close I can cut it.

It's definitely Accel, maybe a newer version, the pickup wheel has vertical slots vs mine with the horizontal slots. Did it work? Mine works, just not sure what's the issue in my car, and need to sort out the carburetor also.
Yes, it ran fine with the Accel set up. It's for sale if anyone interested.

Welcome to my world. My fuel leak is the sending unit where the tube comes through the faceplate. I dropped a fuel tank out of the parts car that ran most recently and it was way uglier than I expected - no where near usable. So we'll show up in the Longhorn so I can pick up a new tank/sending unit.

View attachment 290112

I'll have to see if my Chinese aluminum radiator will bolt in. I also have to dig through my pulleys to find a dual groove to use so I have an alternator that works. The single groove pulley I have rubs the power steering pump belt. Nothing like seeing how close I can cut it.
Same thing happened to me when I did my timing chain. Rad was fine when it came out .. handled it real gingerly .. leaked like a sieve when I filled it back up.

Same thing happened to me when I did my timing chain. Rad was fine when it came out .. handled it real gingerly .. leaked like a sieve when I filled it back up.
I don't even think I touched it! I opened the cap to see how the level was, LOW! I heard dripping later, and looked down to see the above view. Laura asked me what I was going to do. "Grab a spare I have. Good thing for hoarding parts." She rolled her eyes and muttered something under her breath.

Back