Any organists out there?

^^^^^^ I agree with mrfury and I'm one who disagreed with you but for the reasons above. The Hammond is a great organ, I'm sure you church organ was also, but there is a time and place for everything.

My sister used to be the choir director and organist at St Louis Catholic church in Buffalo N.Y. back in the late 70's We as a family spent lots of hours on the choir loft and behind it watching it work and also in front of that organ. Totally awesome! It would rattle the windows!
Like I said, time and place for everything..

Kimball Organ > About > Saint Louis Roman Catholic Church
No offense was meant Scotty, please don't make me look for the lighten up clip:poke::lol:

Digital keyboards have pretty much taken over.
Bingo!!!

I know all about Hammonds; I grew up with them too. I just never liked them, or the Leslie - especially when a person tried to emulate that vibrating sound while singing. Yuck!! If you like the sound of flute stops, you'll love the Hammond. If you like the sound of a good Pipe Organ, with many more facets of sound, many more organs will satisfy far better. We had a Rogers 330 in a Church in Bakersfield. I would bring people in, ask them to tell me whether it was a Pipe or electronic organ? Wished I had been a betting man - that thing was wonderful!! It had a 32 foot stop!!! Would rattle the walls!

I know the history of Hammond. Even so, to me, they are lousy and second rate to so many others.

After just 13 months of proud ownership of my Hammond M3, I just picked up a Leslie 120 to run it through! The 120 is a smaller, non amplified rotating drum speaker. It does not have the rotating horn for the higher frequencies like its bigger brothers do but it was only $200 bucks and had the modified input and power / speed switch for the 2 speed rotating drum with a 12 inch speaker. I have the organ running through an old Harmony bass amp into the Leslie. The sound is amazing and it can crank up! I can get a gritty distorted sound or a smooth flowing tone out of it. I'm still learning more chords and progressions as I go and having fun doing it, as is my son. Ever since I bought the M3 I had hoped to find a Leslie to run it through.
IMG_0258.JPG

After just 13 months of proud ownership of my Hammond M3, I just picked up a Leslie 120 to run it through! The 120 is a smaller, non amplified rotating drum speaker. It does not have the rotating horn for the higher frequencies like its bigger brothers do but it was only $200 bucks and had the modified input and power / speed switch for the 2 speed rotating drum with a 12 inch speaker. I have the organ running through an old Harmony bass amp into the Leslie. The sound is amazing and it can crank up! I can get a gritty distorted sound or a smooth flowing tone out of it. I'm still learning more chords and progressions as I go and having fun doing it, as is my son. Ever since I bought the M3 I had hoped to find a Leslie to run it through. View attachment 435004

Let me know when it's time to channel your inner Jon Lord.

The M3 has a slightly brighter sound than the larger organs (like my A100), and will sound quite good through the Leslie 120's...…….. which are also lighter/easier to move than the larger ones.

A LOT more recordings were done with these spinet organs than you realize. It usually boiled down to what was on hand at the studio. It's only the last 20 years or so that anytime the organ is heard, it is told as "Hammond B-3" when they had NO idea what was actually used at the time. Inaccurate, but fine by me, as it keeps prices down on other organs, like these.

Since my Hammond lives in a 600 sq. ft. 1bdr shoe-box apt (along with a Baldwin Spinet piano) I just don't have floor space for a separate Leslie, so I stick with the A100. ENJOY.

The M3 has a slightly brighter sound than the larger organs (like my A100), and will sound quite good through the Leslie 120's...…….. which are also lighter/easier to move than the larger ones.

A LOT more recordings were done with these spinet organs than you realize. It usually boiled down to what was on hand at the studio. It's only the last 20 years or so that anytime the organ is heard, it is told as "Hammond B-3" when they had NO idea what was actually used at the time. Inaccurate, but fine by me, as it keeps prices down on other organs, like these.

Since my Hammond lives in a 600 sq. ft. 1bdr shoe-box apt (along with a Baldwin Spinet piano) I just don't have floor space for a separate Leslie, so I stick with the A100. ENJOY.
Neat.
On the other end of the spectrum, Orchestrions. I saw one of these at the Nethercut Museum and they are quite the machines.

Orchestrion - Wikipedia

Back