Anyone ever see Deep Plum on a Imperial or Chrysler?

Zymurgy

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I love how many colors used to be available on our cars I was looking at the chart for '66. I have never seen a Deep Plum on a car. I found one on-line, on an Imperial, but it was re-sprayed and it was originally spice gold.

Anyone own a car in this color or see it in person? It looks great on this Imperial, very classy.

Here is the source I used. It is full of very cool info, if some of you haven't seen this site before. The 1970 Hamtramck Registry - 1966 Paint Chip Charts Slideshow

I also thought it was interesting see how colors were only available for one year like Deep Plum and Saddle Bronze, which is the color on Goldie. :)
66 Imperial Deep Plum.jpg

Last edited:
I have seen a couple of 70 Imp's for sale on this site several years ago with M9 Deep Plum.

Julian's '69 Coupe is deep plum iirc..

I do remember seeing this color on a '69 Imperial. I loved the color so much is why I purchased my '66 Olds Toronado in the same color. Olds called it Dubonet for my car.

100_0314.JPG

I do remember seeing this color on a '69 Imperial. I loved the color so much is why I purchased my '66 Olds Toronado in the same color. Olds called it Dubonet for my car.

View attachment 89093

I have always been a little curious regarding this series of Toronados. Since they are front wheel drive and have some pretty unusual parts as a result, are they hard to maintain or really expensive to own? Are they pretty reliable in your experience and are they reasonable to work on? I have always loved the car, although I believe the Riveria was at least as good looking, so I have always wondered. I would probably opt for the rear wheel drive Riveria but I wouldn't turn away a nice example of the Toronado either if I were in the market for one of these.

In my opinion the '66-70 Toronados are much better styling than the same year Rivieras. Whether its the exagerated wheel openings to the barrel speedometer the Toro stood out. The cord grill in the front to the chrome exhaust tips cut into the rear bumper. These cars were over engineered because of the front wheel drive. Heck the front motor mount is solid 12" wide piece of steel mounted to the front crossmember and don't forget the steel transmission linked chain. There are two areas to watch out for: outer floor pan rust and the rubber drain tubes in the trunk. To the best of my knowledge the Toro value is greater at least for the 1966 model. However for me the '71-'73 Riviera are better styling and value for the same year Toro's.

I Owned a 69 Imperial coupe for a short time. It was deep plum with a white vinyl roof and burgundy cloth interior. It was originally purchased in Vancouver.

Back