Anyone try these OER NP6157 "Federal clone" pumps yet?

Gerald Morris

Reaction score
I ask because I might need to service my venerable '59 DeSoto 5 1/8" TRW power steering pump, and if so, I need a good replacement immediately to keep Gertrude on the street. The new OER pump appears to be a reasonably priced, faithful copy of the original article,

NP6157 - 1963-76 Chrysler/Plymouth/Dodge; Power Steering Pump; Federal Style; with Reservoir

vastly preferable to a cheap "reman" from CarDon't which I could try from Retard Autoparts, despite their putative warranty. I LIKE the big old TRW pump and the self adjusting bracket and always will run one, if I can keep one running. Hopefully, a little adjustment and a better bracket which I rehabilitated will do to keep what we've run for nearly 2 yrs, running for many more. BUT, if I have to break that bump down, I want a viable substitute handy.

Thus, the Title Question of this thread.

Thanks in advance to the Moparian Wise Elders here.

I bought one of those and have had no problems with it. If I am recalling correctly, it is made by BBB industries and they typically make quality reproductions. I also have one of BBB Industries' mini starters for some of my big blocks and they are the only ones that I have learned to trust. On their box they indicate they copy faithfully the Nippendenso starters that were sold by the OEM manufacturers with no short cuts in quality anywhere in the starter in order to ensure long life. After having many mini starters supposedly like the original Nippendenso ones fail when they are "rebuilt ones" from China, I now only buy them from BBB industries and have had no failures. They have won my confidence in them. The also make an aftermarket steering gear for our cars that don't look exactly the same due to using their own housing; I did install one also in one of my cars to see if they had better steering feel/feedback on center than the original ones - and they do have better feel driving down the road in a straight line by providing some feedback, unlike the original ones. They are also much less expensive than a rebuilt one from Firm Feel or Steer & Gear.

I bought one of those and have had no problems with it. If I am recalling correctly, it is made by BBB industries and they typically make quality reproductions. I also have one of BBB Industries' mini starters for some of my big blocks and they are the only ones that I have learned to trust. On their box they indicate they copy faithfully the Nippendenso starters that were sold by the OEM manufacturers with no short cuts in quality anywhere in the starter in order to ensure long life. After having many mini starters supposedly like the original Nippendenso ones fail when they are "rebuilt ones" from China, I now only buy them from BBB industries and have had no failures. They have won my confidence in them. The also make an aftermarket steering gear for our cars that don't look exactly the same due to using their own housing; I did install one also in one of my cars to see if they had better steering feel/feedback on center than the original ones - and they do have better feel driving down the road in a straight line by providing some feedback, unlike the original ones. They are also much less expensive than a rebuilt one from Firm Feel or Steer & Gear.

XLNT! I too happily use a BBB steering gear, or did until Mathilda got her front end busted up so bad last year. I plan to take that gear off Tilly and install it to Gertrude this coming winter, as it doesn't leak at ALL.

Thank you for this information! I may even go ahead and buy the new pump soon so I can remedy this venerable, but excellent big De soto pump if anything beyond belt alignment and tension afflict it. Thus far, after 2 years of steady use, the old pump doesn't leak at all, though the steering gear it's on does.

I'll show your Good Words to the Babushka, as SHE fetches the paycheck these daze.....

I know this thread is old, FYI I ordered a NP6157 from classic industries and its a Cardone, not happy about that (see photo).

IMG_20230612_133706892.jpg

I know this thread is old, FYI I ordered a NP6157 from classic industries and its a Cardone, not happy about that (see photo).

View attachment 601464

If it is in fact 100% new, that part is likely made by BBB Industries and sold also under the Cardone name since the only all new such pumps are made all made by BBB Industries in the U.S. I have a couple of them and one is on one of my cars and it seems to operate fine.

See my previous post about BBB industries and their all new remanufactured steering gears as well also in this thread.

Last edited:
It looks new, they say its new and I got the one maker I try to avoid. Sounds like it will be ok if its BBB. Classic industries list it as OER pump and several others list the NP6157 with no manufacturer listed.
Thanks for the response I was considering returning it.

pump.png

specs.png

From what google has to say and we know, not always accurate, Cardone and BBB like to sue each other so there is no relationship. Cardone does make a new pump part# 96-6184 and BBB INDUSTRIES #N7222103.
OER appears to be a middle man with marketing NP6157 which can be found on many sites. On the picture above you can see the Cardone name and part number 96-6184 with a NP6157 sticker on top of it, this one came from Classic Industries under the OER brand. Not sure where Cardone makes the pump but they are in our market place. The OER About Us web page appears to be Classic Industries.
Link OER | Restoration Parts | Mopar Parts | Camaro Parts | Firebird Parts | Nova Parts | Impala Parts | Chevy C10 Parts | Tri-Five Chevy Parts. I know there has been some interest in the NP6157 so I thought I would share my experience, Buyer Beware

All I can say for sure is that I bought 3 of them about 3 years ago from NAPA Auto Parts. That part is shown in this link:

The price has gone up compared to when I bought mine.

If you actually open the Warranty link as part of the NAPA listing, it indicates their builder is BBB industries:

So I really do not know who makes the one from Cardone given what @Stormrider is saying.

Last edited:
Thanks Saforwardlook I ended up returning Cardone pump to Classic Industries and purchased A BBB pump from Rock Auto for about the same price. Napa Auto was like a $100 bucks more (crazy).

Back