Anywhere to see the available paint choices to FLEET customers?

CbodyLuvr

Reaction score
We all know about the available colors to civilian model cars but is there a big binder of paint chips/samples out there to show what colors were available to fleet (taxi/police/etc) customers? Especially looking for what might have been available to customers from around 1969 til 81.

For example as to what I'm looking for, here's a current list of paint shades available to fleets for the Dodge Charger Pursuit in the present model year: https://www.fcausfleet.com/content/...1/2021_Dodge_Charger_Pursuit_Buyers-guide.pdf

You could get pretty much any color listed in the DuPont auto paint book for fleet cars, if the buy was large enough. US Government used to buy pumpkin orange, god awful tan and puce green for example. Some fleet colors were extra charge, some were not. Most fleet cars were done on a low bid basis, so extra charge colors were less common.

Dave

On the GM/Chevrolet side of things, there was one or two pages of national fleet colors (with specfic company names) in the front of the Dealer Order Guide. If not every year, then every other model year, from what I have seen. In some cases, they'd allow regional dealer groups to get a "next year's potential color" through this program, too, if the group order was about 1200 vehicles or so.

The similar Dealer Order Guides I'd see at the local Chrysler dealer had no such fleet color pages for national fleet accounts. I suspect that the Chrysler color chip/fleet color ordering formation was in the zone offices where the national fleet accounts were administered. Out of the hands of the local dealers.

On the vehicle build sheet, I believe there is a section noted as "Special Mask", which would apply to law enforcement vehicles and their particular sheet metal with buyer-specific paint schemes that could be done in the assembly plant. Might even be where the national fleet account paint schemes were noted, too, plus possibly in the "Special Instructions", too?

Similar to the GM and possibly Ford national fleet account colors, there would be a minimum order quantity of vehicles. So the assembly plant could run them all at once, economically, if they required non-production paint codes/schemes.

Posssibly something at www.hamtramck-historical.com? Seems like there is a column in the "Library" listings for fleet items?

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Back