Are books obsolete?

Rustyrodknocker

Reaction score
I thought this thread was already out there but the search results were all for sale adds.

Do you guys still use dead trees to obtain information or just to enjoy or study? I have plenty of books that I have collected over my 35 years of adulthood but I rarely ever open one these days. Starting to go through the process of what to do with them. It does not feel right to throw them out. But I don't think anybody wants this stuff. Pretty niche subject matter.

I can remember when I started they were hard to get an expensive for a young guy. If we traveled anywhere in the region we scoured every towns used book store.

I remember a couple that specialized in romance novels for woman because that was a huge market. Some times in the attic you would find some real auto gold for cheap.

Parts Books and Service Manuals are so much easier to look through in the "real" format.

What ever happened to 'microfiche'? I know our local library has/had the local newspaper on microfiche going back into the early 90's & 80's, I was of the age when it was introduced in the 1970's to replaced paper parts manuals but I don't see old manuals in the microfiche form for sale at all. (not that I really look for it)

I use books. I also use the net and the service manuals online.

IMG_5085.jpeg

IMG_5086.jpeg

I like both. Any reading I do for pleasure is usually on my trusty Kindle. I really like that I can go anywhere with a half dozen books at my fingertips. Book stores don't exist anymore and Amazon has just about every book available and its cheaper than paper and I can often download a sample of any book I might want.

Technical reading has been easier with paper though. I used to have to read some extremely dry tech stuff for work and I hated when I had to read it on the computer screen.

Service manuals are usually digital though. That reading is short, maybe two or three paragraphs. I often print out a page or two for garage use as that easier.

I have plenty of Mopar magazines that I would like to see go to a good home.
I quit subscribing several years ago as I running out of shelf space. Can't bring my self to throw them out.
I do use the paper editions of service/parts manuals. Lot easier running down part numbers or comparing service 'How To's' when you have multiple editions open in front of you.
Omni

I like books. I can personalize them with drool, sneeze, drip and smear oil, grease, anti-sieze compound, hi-tack, rtv, blood, boogers, chicken grease, French fry oil, while computer screens, websites, YouTube channels only allow cleanable situations, or comments.
It’s nice to have books to reference too.

i will always have books. i always have one i'm currently reading. i have no idea how many i own. i almost never buy a new one unless it's severely discounted. flea markets, yard sales, and libraries are your friends.

I was reading these books last night.
Still plenty of uses for paper.
The computer world is so temporary that it is nice to sit down with a book once in a while.

I like to buy old mopar magazines to go through and look for M46 barracuda's and any build sheets and fender tags.

zx3.jpg

zx4.jpg

zx5.jpg

Nothing like holding the real thing that can’t be altered or censured by some committee that thinks it’s culturally inappropriate, or the information is invalid. I have hundreds of pre internet reference guides for all of my hobbies. I was really pissed when I test drove a ‘23 Challenger, and they couldn’t offer me a paper brochure. That might have actually been the subconscious reason I didn’t buy the car, lol.

Last edited:
What ever happened to 'microfiche'? I know our local library has/had the local newspaper on microfiche going back into the early 90's & 80's, I was of the age when it was introduced in the 1970's to replaced paper parts manuals but I don't see old manuals in the microfiche form for sale at all. (not that I really look for it)

I have all the Mopar parts fische from the 60 and 70s

Paper for me, I find it easier to look back for cross reference and I like the feel of paper. I buy books at flea markets and thrift stores usually paying 50 cents each. I'm reading American Prometheus about Robert Oppenheimer's life, it's a brand new $25 book that cost 1/2 a buck. You can donate old books to Restore or Salvation Army which is what I do so really I'm renting them.

We go through a lot of books in our house. Mrs SPF Required is an educator, and we still have school aged kids. Quite a few years ago I built a little feee library and put it up in front of our house. I am always fascinated by how much ‘action’ that little library gets. We give away a ton of books, but we also get a lot too. It is a fun way to keep the kids reading old school style.

I have plenty of Mopar magazines that I would like to see go to a good home.
I quit subscribing several years ago as I running out of shelf space. Can't bring my self to throw them out.
I do use the paper editions of service/parts manuals. Lot easier running down part numbers or comparing service 'How To's' when you have multiple editions open in front of you.
Omni
I was recently in the attic chasing critters and decided to bring down some boxes. I put that stuff up there for short term storage 22 years ago. I sorted the magazines from the early 90's and threw out the low priority stuff. I never threw out a magazine I kept them all.

It actually felt great to throw out something I had for 30 years. I had never done it. Took my father's camping stuff to donate. Maybe somebody that goes camping will buy it.

I am going to pair down my books, even though I am still accruing them. I will probably start listing my technical books here in bundles on the classifieds when I get time.
Anybody that wants to pay media mail rate can have them.

Sound off with some of your favorites.
Machinery's handbook is a great one..

I was recently in the attic chasing critters and decided to bring down some boxes. I put that stuff up there for short term storage 22 years ago. I sorted the magazines from the early 90's and threw out the low priority stuff. I never threw out a magazine I kept them all.

It actually felt great to throw out something I had for 30 years. I had never done it. Took my father's camping stuff to donate. Maybe somebody that goes camping will buy it.

I am going to pair down my books, even though I am still accruing them. I will probably start listing my technical books here in bundles on the classifieds when I get time.
Anybody that wants to pay media mail rate can have them.

Sound off with some of your favorites.
Machinery's handbook is a great one..
If I remember correctly, it is called the machinists handbook. Lots of reference data.

If I remember correctly, it is called the machinists handbook. Lots of reference data.
Machinery's Handbook is correct. It gets called "machinist handbook" in a lot of shops.

I bought one back around 1975...

My Mother in law gave me an actual book yesterday. Nothing I really want to read, but the thought was there.

On the back was "printed in China". That seems to be the norm these days.

I sat down and read a 10 book fiction -survivalist series 2 years ago. I wish I had more time to hang out and have my nose in a novel.

I love the way my imagination illustrates what I'm reading. Usually this makes novels turned into movies a disappointment to me. Rarely do they portray the book accurately.

Back