At what point does one say "screw it!" with cars?

If I had the money, I'd pay for one last ultimate project and oversee it. The body is shot but my mind still goes at 250%.
What I have in mind could possibly hit 100k so it ain't gonna happen.
I have a friend that has done that with three high dollar cars, including one that he owned since brand new. Beautiful cars, but I can't even imagine what the bill was.

I've pointed and wrote a check more than I used to. Big problem for me is that my favorite mechanic is my age... I don't know what I'm going to do once he retires... Even my NAPA parts guy has set a date for his retirement.

I tried, he doesn't want me to help with the financial part for his car. So i went with my own car when i bought my newport.

And i was willing to jump start his project back up, even got my other siblings to help out. But he's not wanting any of it. I was really looking forward to helping him too. And if did happen, i would never have gotten my newport.
Sounds a lot like my experience with my dad's 66 Windsor sedan project car. After I turned 16 he stopped working on it altogether and it sat in the garage. In my early 20's I got interested in it. I had the time but not the skills, but he wasn't interested in doing anything but criticizing. I wound-up buying my own Chrysler (Windsor 2dht) to wrench on.

In my 30's I acquired two sedans as parts cars for the restoration of my Chrysler. I had a ton of parts he could use, including an excellent front subframe, but everything I gave him just sat outside behind his garage and rusted. Eventually my brother kicked his Chrysler out of the garage to make room to fix his own stuff.

Dad died in 2017 at 73 years old. I inherited his car, but it's just a drivetrain donor now. :( It is so rotten now, my parts cars which would have provided tons of good sheetmetal as well as the subframe are long gone, and I'm not interested in starting another huge multi-year restoration project.

I will be turning 44 this month. My Windsor 2-door has been under restoration for 7 years. I'm excited to be almost "done" and get it back on the road to enjoy. There are also a lot of other things I'd like to do that I've been putting off to make time for this project.

Big problem for me is that my favorite mechanic is my age... I don't know what I'm going to do once he retires... Even my NAPA parts guy has set a date for his retirement.
And you hit upon a huge problem these days....
Most of the people don't even know what a ballast resistor is so that they throw that in the soup.
No body shops. Everybody is a PPG approved Collision Repair Center only doing insurance jobs.
Can't trust the guy who's doing your alignment.
Engine swap? Fergedabouddit...

Last edited:
Patrick:

I understand your feelings about the hobby and the burden we all sometimes feel concerning our C-Bodies - and the time and attention they require. I also appreciate other's statements about the too fast passing of time and the effects of aging (hell. . . I'm gonna be 119 in June). Also, as others have mentioned, a bunch of my car friends, work friends and others around me have passed on; not only has that taken a toll on my desire to continue with the hobby, but also forces me to more directly confront my own mortality.

I have never thought much of retirement; therefore, I'm still working. Now I'm beginning to think that what I really need is more time to work on and enjoy my cars. Fortunately, my health is still pretty good, and my Garage Mahal is finally usable.

I think I'm gonna buy a lift at Carlisle this summer (because its no fun crawling around under a car anymore). and I'm gonna retire after Christmas.

My love of carz started about when I started driving, at 12 YO BTW with Gramp's '39 1 1/2 ton Dodge 5 spd goin' back and forth to the fields harvesting grain. That'z where and when I got introduced to beer too 'cuz if you worked the fieldz every 2nd trip into the grainery Gramps would make ah trip to the root cellar and If you worked you got one! Started working on 'um when I bought my first one 2 yearz later .. The reason? I waz too fricken' poor to pay anyone for doing ANYTHING. Think I mentioned on here once that I cleaned the spark plugz with a spark plug sand blaster and miked 'um with ah hacksaw blade. We used to do that az an honest procedure for extending plug life. Every gas station and corner garage had ah plug blaster back then. For me the car thing really intensified in the summer of '80 when our home waz violated and all the Guns, Jewelry, pocket watches, Knives in my collections were removed without my consent and they walked right past probably 15K-20K of power and hand toolz and never touched 'um in their comings and goings. In my mind I made a vow to never keep anything on our property again that waz worth steeling. Toolz and Carz being the exception and in the almost 40 intervening yearz since I've held true to that vow. In the late '90s I got up to 12 carz at one time. For me that waz stupid too 'cuz if you spread your play money over 12 vehicles it getz tough even doing right on your 2 D.D.s? Talk about runnin' around like ah two headed chicken tryin' to feed it self by pickin' up corn! Like most stupid Birdz, You got TWO Peckerz tryin' to pick up the same Kernel and well DAH? So I pruned the fleet down to 4. 2 D.D.s and 2 toyz. It waz tough but the right thing for me. Down to 3 now because Mamma doesn't drive at all anymore, But that ah story I prefer not to talk about. I owned the '61 Chrysler 300 Batwagon for totally 28 yearz. Workin' on 16-17 yearz for the Funny little truck "FLT" GT Scamp FWD Turbo Pickup. Ground up on both of those and I'm done with that ground up stuff. Maintenance only now. Hell the Scamp needz a new Walboro fuel pump. I've had the pump and can't hang onto my Dawg Bone Creeper-Sleeper long enough to get under it, drop the fuel cell and swap out the pump? Gettin' real close to breakin' to My Daughters home and gettin' That creeper back. I'm done on this thread FOR NOW, Jer

Last edited:
Patrick:

I understand your feelings about the hobby and the burden we all sometimes feel concerning our C-Bodies - and the time and attention they require. I also appreciate other's statements about the too fast passing of time and the effects of aging (hell. . . I'm gonna be 119 in June). Also, as others have mentioned, a bunch of my car friends, work friends and others around me have passed on; not only has that taken a toll on my desire to continue with the hobby, but also forces me to more directly confront my own mortality.

Talking about mortality. I'm starting to hear a little now about the death of Luke Perry. Not my generation so I am only vaguely aware of 90210 but apparently he was a heartthrob. Now he is dead and not from drugs, alcohol, or reckless driving. He had a stroke. Think that is bothering a few in their 50s just like him as there are some things you have absolutely zero control over. That group is realizing they too are no longer as young as they imagine themselves to be and sometimes your ticket is punched and bam..........................

I had the world's worst experience at Home Depot yesterday. Lumber dept.
Absolutely pathetic and maddening.
I could try and write a letter and get these guys reprimanded but all I would get is a 10% off coupon. :BangHead:
I can't go anymore. I won't go anymore.

I can't go anymore. I won't go anymore.
I then loaded up a cart of 2x4s in front of them, pushed it to the checkout, swung it around to block the aisle, and then walked out and went to Lowe's.
:icon_fU:
They wanna be assholes? I'll be a bigger *******.
I vote with my wallet.

I then loaded up a cart of 2x4s in front of them, pushed it to the checkout, swung it around to block the aisle, and then walked out and went to Lowe's.
:icon_fU:
They wanna be assholes? I'll be a bigger *******.
Well done.
I've experienced more lumpish bullsh** there than I care to recount. I'll drive 100 miles to get stuff from a specialty supply house before going there.

Lowe's has great customer service compared to Home Depot.

Ace Hardware is not bad either for small stuff.

Lowe's has great customer service compared to Home Depot.

Ace Hardware is not bad either for small stuff.
I've thought of going there as it's right across the street from Home Depot but then I'd have to be somewhere else at Buckland Hills Mall in Manchester, CT.... which is like the home of the asshat.

Like most of the other responders, I too am in the 55+ crowd, and have noticed the same “after effects” of crawling around under a car as others in my age bracket, and even some younger guys have mentioned in this thread, about the aches and/or pains, that we never felt in our yout. Surely in a lot of cases, it’s not only the ability to work on our cars without becoming sore, as it is in how the routines in our daily lives dictate when we have time to work on them.

Without knowing what my mobility in the next maybe 10, 20 or 30 years will be, I hope I am still capable of, and having the same interests, in these old cars as I do now. Knowing I can’t do too much about the aging factor, I’ve been trying to gain that edge by staying healthy through diet and exercise, hoping it may prolong the inevitable. This may not be the answer or advice for everyone, but after losing 25 lbs., quitting smoking and cutting back on the alcohol over the last year, upon my recent annual check-up, my PCP seemed relatively glad that I took his advice last year by changing some habits, that were causing high cholesterol, breathing issues and high glucose counts, bordering on pre-diabetic. So it’s not true when it is said, “you can’t teach an old dog new tricks”.

But, when the day arrives that I can’t tackle a job or two, or to help a friend out with their project, fretting about all the pain I would be in if doing so, or putting off a job because my body is telling me “NO”, I know the one thing for sure I’ll be comfortable telling myself in the future, is that it’s time to start getting rid of the cars I’ve had over the years, and to sell them off so someone else can enjoy them.

Some members have reached that point already, and I cannot find any fault in their decisions to thin their herd, (some of you guys have some pretty freakin’ big herds) be it for the difficulty of working on them, loss of interest, or other life priorities. We each have our own reasons.

What you may already know is that you have had a lifetime with your cars, whether it had been the enjoyment of driving them, buying/selling them, or while working on them, even when that 5/8 wrench gets thrown across the garage in a moment of frustration, but eventually reaching that level of satisfaction that put a smile on your face, is what it’s all about. We’ve all been there at some point. The C’s have been a big part of your life, from what I’ve seen on your posts here on FCBO.

@patrick66, if and when you get rid of your cars, for whatever the reason it may be, I hope you get every dollar you have valued them at. Expect some seller’s remorse. But life goes on.

And on a side note, I’m not surprised there are others in this thread that have given it a thought once or twice about similar thoughts you mentioned in the OP, even me. At least you know you’re not alone with that mindset.

Here is another thought My buddy raises foster kids "troubled teenage boys". If i have something that my body can't due I hire them for a day $10.00/per hour and food and drink. I mainly use them for stacking wood, digging ditches , and pounding post and fixing fences. But they could be taught to work on cars motor swaps, gear changes, or just tune ups. PS my boys have no interest in working on cars

It is interesting that most of us know people that work on cars, that are retiring soon. My general mechanic retired last year. My friend who is the auto shop instructor at the vo-tech, retires in May. The guy who put the killer tune on my Coronet two years ago is recovering from cancer surgery and is in his third round of chemo. So, it's difficult finding someone familiar with our cars, that wants to work on them, that is healthy enough to work.

Even my NAPA parts guy has set a date for his retirement.

I know you don't know me but this NAPA guy has too. 4 years, 5 months and 24 days.... :)
I hope my body holds out. I've had one knee scraped and the other isn't doing well either.

Back