At what point does one say "screw it!" with cars?

You never, ever, see someone retiring from Autzone, Advance, and O'Reilly's. They must have a 98% turnover after 5 years.
Just the way corporate America wants it.

Thankfully A&A transmission is about 25 miles away from me and they're about one of the ppl i trust with the mechanical work that's out of my abilities and tools

We all have dreams. Some that can happen, but don't for various reasons. Some we can make happen if we are so motivated.

Every do often, I have some dreams of getting the DH43N0D going again. First car I bought in 1975. I imagine how nice it would be running down the TX Interstate at 75mph (383 4bbl/3.23), the a/c blowing cold, the AM/FM-Multiplex with some nice music on it, the lh pwr seat set just right, watching the fuel gauge EASE toward 1/4 tank, and then arriving un-tired of what I'd just been doing! Life was good, driving and enjoying that car! And it can be again . . . if and when.

Or getting the '66 Newport Town Sedan going again. The fun I had with it in my earlier years. The car I took my driving test in, back in high school. The car that I did some upgrades to that really worked (HD shocks and a 2nd rear factory speaker, plus the Holley 2210 replacing the WWC3-262 Stromberg). The fact that it got right at 20mph highway with the 55mph national speed limit. Or the way the old AM radio would pull in stations from FAR away, while heading into West TX to visit relatives.

As noted, working on cars is a great stress-relief from daily life issues. With OR without a secure garage/shop. But we can always dream of these things or remember what great times in our lives they represent. Sometimes, it's best to let others spend money as we admire their results and remember our own related memories.

I generally liked the '66 Chrysler for how well laid-out the underhood area is. Especially compared to ANY Ford or GM from that time. Easy to lean over the hood to do things. Then the fabulous Fuselage cars came online, but with many GM-oriented design features, it seems. Underhood accessibility took a big dump, to me. Many spark plugs suddenly got easier to get to from underneath! Especially #7 plug! When I college, I could slide under the car to do that, but a few years later, that danged plastic water shield for the starter got more and more in the way.

I'm generally working to get things done so I can have time to get back to playing cars. LOTS of fun and enjoyment in doing that in prior times! Hopefully to happen again.

CBODY67

Lowe's has great customer service compared to Home Depot.

Ace Hardware is not bad either for small stuff.
I didn't red X, but I've had even worse experiences with them than Home Depot. At my local Lowes, they have the worst management for customer service... and they've been through several without improvement. I have found their lumber to be in better condition than my closest HD, but I still have to throw the top layer on the floor to get to stuff that's not twisted and warped... if you let them load, guess what you'll be getting.

I've had issues with both. Our local HD has some rude assclowns working there, and Lowes people are more helpful and nicer. Lowes has nicer stuff in the store, but HD lumber is better and having ordered stuff from both, HD is heads over Lowes in that department.

These are just two examples...

Ordered a patio door from Lowes. The installer measured it before it was ordered, but they didn't use his measurements, instead they ordered using my rough measurements. The installer was beside himself but it was usable with a little work, shimming the top and sides and all would be covered by the trim. Lowes wanted more money to do this! So to fix their mistake, I would have to pony up another $175! That went over like a fart in church and I set the phone lines on fire to the local Lowes. They weren't backing down at first, but once they realized they would be taking back a special order $1700 patio door, they backed off. Installer was great though.

Ordered new garage doors from HD. They came out, double checked measurements, ordered and installed doors. End of story.

I didn't red X, but I've had even worse experiences with them than Home Depot. At my local Lowes, they have the worst management for customer service... and they've been through several without improvement. I have found their lumber to be in better condition than my closest HD, but I still have to throw the top layer on the floor to get to stuff that's not twisted and warped... if you let them load, guess what you'll be getting.
I've had issues with both. Our local HD has some rude assclowns working there, and Lowes people are more helpful and nicer. Lowes has nicer stuff in the store, but HD lumber is better and having ordered stuff from both, HD is heads over Lowes in that department.

These are just two examples...

Ordered a patio door from Lowes. The installer measured it before it was ordered, but they didn't use his measurements, instead they ordered using my rough measurements. The installer was beside himself but it was usable with a little work, shimming the top and sides and all would be covered by the trim. Lowes wanted more money to do this! So to fix their mistake, I would have to pony up another $175! That went over like a fart in church and I set the phone lines on fire to the local Lowes. They weren't backing down at first, but once they realized they would be taking back a special order $1700 patio door, they backed off. Installer was great though.

Ordered new garage doors from HD. They came out, double checked measurements, ordered and installed doors. End of story.

My local HD customer service totally sucks. I drive an extra 15 miles to Lowes because of the customer service. Lowes merchandise is generally better and more of a selection. I do admit that HD has a better selection of hardwoods and trim. Lowes has a military discount that you set up by your phone number so everytime you buy something you put in your phone number and it automatically gives you the military discount. HD has a military discount too but you have to ask for it, show your ID, and get a managers approval. HD and Lowes military discount is 10%. It adds up.

I dont have a single complaint about Ace Hardware. The neat thing about Ace is if you buy any grill over $299 they will assemble it and deliver it to your house for free. I don't care about assembling grills. They do it correctly and they know what they are doing.

20171201_103426.jpg

My local HD customer service totally sucks. I drive an extra 15 miles to Lowes because of the customer service. Lowes merchandise is generally better and more of a selection. I do admit that HD has a better selection of hardwoods and trim. Lowes has a military discount that you set up by your phone number so everytime you buy something you put in your phone number and it automatically gives you the military discount. HD has a military discount too but you have to ask for it, show your ID, and get a managers approval. HD and Lowes military discount is 10%. It adds up.

I dont have a single complaint about Ace Hardware. The neat thing about Ace is if you buy any grill over $299 they will assemble it and deliver it to your house for free. I don't care about assembling grills. They do it correctly and they know what they are doing.

View attachment 266703
Mmmmmmmmmm.......grill:lol:
Been months since I got to cook out and sip a cold beer on the deck!!

I've shovelled the deck 20 -25 times, but heck we got so much snow I can hardly see my grill, plus standing outside grilling in -10 weather losses its appeal.....lol
I'm not that desperate....yet

You never, ever, see someone retiring from Autzone, Advance, and O'Reilly's. They must have a 98% turnover after 5 years.
Just the way corporate America wants it.

I used to have a commercial account at AZ. Got to be pretty good friends with a couple of the older guys. They stop over and drink beer, tinker with stuff, good dudes with old cars.
Got a little insight on how AZ thins the herd of higher paid employees.
3 guys almost retirement age got dicked around a lot. Cut hours, purposeful scheduling bullshit among other things, coming down from territory management levels as I understand it.
Screwing with someone's paycheck= screwing with their family
.I'd just roll on the floor laughing to see the smug little college degree manager get ***** slapped by one of these guys on their way out.

1 guy just said f*ck it and retired, his wife is a nurse, could afford to.
The other 2 guys went to Orielly's, which is where I followed them to.
They still only get 30 something hours to keep them from being full time. How the hell they can expect someone to live on a $360 a week gross paycheck these days is a mystery to me.

Management seeking to motivate workers (who know more than they do) to go somewhere else is not limited to the auto supply chains. I saw it happen at a Kinkos I frequented. New manager was transferred in to "clean things up", from a smaller west TX location. First thing he did was to change hours of the more experienced employees (one of which told me what was going down), who had been there long enough to have had a few incremental pay increases. New "trainees" didn't know squaatt. Wanted me to leave my work to be copied, although it took me 30 minutes (one way) to get there, rather than wait while they ran it (usually 15 minutes). Didn't understand "I'll wait on it", NOR how to make things happen that way. Customer service skills were only scripted responses, rather than having any real knowledge of what was going on. The damage that manager did was permanent as the old customers left and new ones were not treated well. THEN they wondered why business was down! Which then justified the removal of about 1/2 of their machines (with flat tables put in their place). Just LOTS of mismanagement, period.

Some car dealer parts departments aren't much better, unfortunately. More interest in gross profits than making long term customers with friendly and knowledgeable customer service. But that's a whole nuther story!

CBODY67

I used to have a commercial account at AZ. Got to be pretty good friends with a couple of the older guys. They stop over and drink beer, tinker with stuff, good dudes with old cars.
Got a little insight on how AZ thins the herd of higher paid employees.
3 guys almost retirement age got dicked around a lot. Cut hours, purposeful scheduling bullshit among other things, coming down from territory management levels as I understand it.
Screwing with someone's paycheck= screwing with their family
.I'd just roll on the floor laughing to see the smug little college degree manager get ***** slapped by one of these guys on their way out.

1 guy just said f*ck it and retired, his wife is a nurse, could afford to.
The other 2 guys went to Orielly's, which is where I followed them to.
They still only get 30 something hours to keep them from being full time. How the hell they can expect someone to live on a $360 a week gross paycheck these days is a mystery to me.
Last week, I stopped by the local 24hr AZ (not as big an advantage as you'd think, read on)... the idiot behind the counter and I had an exchange much like this...

I need a radiator for a 99 gmc suburban c1500 with a 5.7.

2009?

chevrolet?

gmc, but it doesn't matter.

oh, a pickup truck?

NO, a suburban.

I don't see suburban...

I point to the "sub" on his screen

is it a half ton? (I had just pointed at the 1500)

yes, C1500

he then bypasses the engine altogether... I'm wondering if the diesel takes the same radiator

What part are you looking for?

a radiator.

He then can't figure out how to get the listing for "radiator" to come up and asks the other idiot...

As I'm walking away, "come back, sir, I have your radiator"

"nope, no you don't"

But it's right here... why are you leaving?

I'm going to buy from someplace else... you have a nice day.

I pretty sure he was swearing as I left, but I don't speak the language he was using...

Make it easy on them, just give them the part number, that you researched for 5 minutes
They have not been taught to search by part number. All they know is how to work with the drop down menus. If it doesn't show up there, they are screwed.

I'll call the parts house with the part number in front of me --- "I need a exgronificator, it's a Grubelfucker part number 12345-AB, you have one? And if you can cross-reference that to see if an ElastoFart or BigJugs equivalent is available, cool!" --- too easy.

Last edited:
Just as a little plug for Napa, if you have your own business you can get in independent truckers discount, it depends on the parts line but it does take maybe 10 or 20% off of hard parts, like Parts behind the counter, doesn't do much with oil or anything out front though. I always go to Napa if I'm going by there but O'Reilly's is point nine miles from my house and Napa is 5 so I end up going there more often than not. Then there's RockAuto which is most always the cheapest, but with its own set of problems.

Just as a little plug for Napa, if you have your own business you can get in independent truckers discount, it depends on the parts line but it does take maybe 10 or 20% off of hard parts
Goddammit, here I thought Napa Joe was doing me a solid, hmmmmm.

BTW my car crazy obsession will give up when they roll the box into the oven/incinerator.

Back