Austin, TX

LatPeahy

Reaction score
Gonna be heading out to Austin in the middle of April. Anyone on here from there that wants to hang/ take a drive/ knows of some good junkyards/ might have a couch to sleep on?

Gonna be heading out to Austin in the middle of April. Anyone on here from there that wants to hang/ take a drive/ knows of some good junkyards/ might have a couch to sleep on?
You gotta go see the bats, eat some bbq over by the convention center(can’t remember the name, Ironworks maybe?) and go hear some live music. Other than that I don’t know, it’s been over 18 years since I’ve been there.:lol:

Franklin's BBQ. Be ready for "the line to get in"! www.tmbbq.com for other similar places down there. Also for Austin-area specific, www.MotorAustin.com and the companion www.MotorTexas.com . Click on all the icons and links! I'm sure there are some budget bed-breakfast places down there, too.

Have a great excursion!
CBODY67

All the live music iz on 6th st right down town. Want some "Boot Scuttin' music, try the Broken Spoke on south Lamar. I walked in there one evening back in the late '90s and Willie waz in there just jamin' away. Everybody ravez about the "SALT LICK" FOR RIBZ AND BRISKET including Sandra Bullock. Find it on 1826 south off of 290 just west of Oak Hill. Az for bone Yardz, Best yard I know of iz half way to Huston in a town called LaGrange across the 4 lane from the Chrysler Dealership. Place called "Black Tire co."They crushed the '40s + '50s stuff back in '97 but the '60s and up stuff north of the RR trackz waz still there when I left in the fall of '99. Couple dozen B-bodyz az I recall that were still sportin' their dual snorkel air cleanerz. Tejas just ain't Mopar country, Jer

In some of the links at MotorAustin, there are some custom car shops down there. There are several shops in Austin per se, which might be good sources for the current salvage yard locations. Reason is that when our Mopar club trekked to Austin for the Mopar Muscle Cars of Austin yearly show, one of our guys had heard of a large yard north of Austin that allegedly had lots of B-body stuff. When we got there, all primed-up to see lots of needed parts, we were greeted with bare earth . . . they'd had all of that stuff until about one month earlier. So we continued on to the motel ion Austin. In the salvage yard industry, they were just doing their normal "inventory adjustment" activity, as they had to make room for new inventory coming in from various sources. To them, it's just "metal". All yards do this to varying degrees, which can also relate to "slow business periods", crush-out to pay bills and such.

Check the "Member" links on the MMCA club website for some local contacts in the Mopar area. Unfortunately, the last update date was in 2013. Hopefully, you'll find somebody with some needed information. Perhaps they've transitioned into Facebook?

March and April are when "car season" usually starts in TX. Moreso in the central and sourthern areas of the state. Weekend cruises, swap meets, etc. LOTS of nice scenery, too.

CBODY67

will definitely be checking out the bbq spots. Flying in so if I can get wheels and have time I’ll try to check out some of the junkyards

Back