Bat Mobile seen in St. Catharines, ON

General Discussion

1. DonC

DonC Member

And the center of the controversial replica is what's known as a Bob Butts bodyshell, they all have certain features that the Barris fiberglass replicas dont have and that is twisted in rear quarter panels. There is no explanation for this 'deformity'. It is a telltale sign when looking at replicas. The St C replica doesnt have the rear twisted qtrs, his buddys with a Butts replica does/did and his other buddy has a freaks replica..which is a completely different bodyshell altogether. Butts- Butts3.jpg
    Butts-6.jpg

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  2. 68PK21 440.6bbl

68PK21 440.6bbl Senior Member

The Klassix Auto Batmobile came up I thought recently in our local rag of a newspaper, I tried searching for the article to no avail but IIRC it was about the ongoing court case specifically for the Batmobile. Two or three parties were involved fighting over the back track sale of the car, and Klassix Auto was in bankruptcy and I guess had a loan to purchase the Batmobile.
    No mention of Barris involved in the case, fingers pointing here and there, Think the Klassix guy pocketed big cash and banks were chasing him, he was going after whoever he bought the car from and I think the auction house was involved as many cars from that museum were liquidated.

Never had a follow up article about the outcome of the case so don't know really what the end all was.

We all locals shook our heads when they built the Museum out by the Flea Market, the lot was kinda weird as it didn't have proper 'Frontage' and was confusing to get into the place. They thought they would get exposure too the I-95 traffic but it is at the confusing 1-95 & I-4 interchange (more confusing now, TY FDOT) and you couldn't really notice it even from ISB the main boulevard that Daytona Speedway is on. Doomed to fail. The only article I found was when the museum closed in 2003 and a bigazz wanna'b MotorCycle Dealership moved in to the building, FAIL, then it turned into some kind of Restaurant gambling joint called Lucky's which didn't last long now it's a "Shop, Shoot, Eat & Drink" Gun Range with a "upscale whiskey bar & grill" another head shaker but I just checked the web and via the glitzy webpage seems to be doing well. We all thought bad idea, sort of gun range theme park for the Florida man to get liquored up and shoot off guns. Check it out.

VOLUSIA.TOP.GUN.SIGN.001.jpg

Volusia Top Gun. Shop, Shoot, Eat & Drink in Daytona Beach

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Sport Lux

Sport Lux New Member

Super cool car! Way to embrace the spirit of the whole thing, Nicely done.

4. DonC

DonC Member

Currently up on ebay for $138 +K is this prime example of a replica at just a little over market price. This is the 'other ' bodyshell shared by Fiberglass Freaks, known as a Hines bodyshell. Compare this replica with the St C replica and one gets a understanding of handmade quality fit and finish of handmade metals that give it it's ' bling', continuity in the interior...ie door panels line up to dash panels etc gloss paint and the fact that the St C replica was bought for at under $50K vs no gloss paint and readily made off the shelf available items to fill the interior with no engine detailing on this example.

Tvenow370.jpg Martinos5.jpg
    Martinos6.jpg Martinos8.jpg

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019 at 2:25 AM
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  5. Mike66Chryslers

Mike66Chryslers Well-Known Member

Wow, learning a lot about the Batmobile enthusiast community on this thread. Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. cantflip

cantflip Old Jagoff with a Hat FCBO Gold Member

I kept walking past the place going to the races... I never did try to find my way in. IDK about now, but "free" parking and easier access to Tomoka Farms Rd (as a 2 lane) was a big appeal... the ability to set up a grill in the shade and tailgate was nice too.

I did always kinda want to go in to see the Bat Car... but I don't think they were even open for arguable the highest traffic weekends that intersection sees.

Liquor and guns holds little appeal for me... and if I really wanted, downtown is just a few miles away... head toward town in the wee hours and there's a fair chance you can find both.

• Like Like x 1
  7. DonC

DonC Member