Battery Cable Source???

DeMopuar

Reaction score
I'm looking for the right battery cables for my 1973 Newport. It looks like the Mopar repops are not being made for this car, is that correct? I know that I can buy them on RockAuto.com, but they aren't even close to the correct look.

Any tricks that can be done to get the original battery cable look with using some of the other repop battery cables, or is this a no no? I know that they are expensive, but I don't like the cheapo ones from RockAuto, they really are useless, at least the ones that I saw that were listed for a 400 V8.

Battery cables are not body specific. The battery, starter, starter relay, and engine are all in the same location on 73 b bodys as they are on 73 c bodys. You can even use an E body cable for 73.

Hmm, nothing about this battery - starter cable resembles the original one in my 73 Polara.

This is supposedly a 73-74 B body

a207916143876ce8206092_m.jpg

Battery cables are not body specific. The battery, starter, starter relay, and engine are all in the same location on 73 b bodys as they are on 73 c bodys. You can even use an E body cable for 73.

I'm not familiar with B bodies, but I am familiar with E bodies. E bodies have the starter relay mounted on the inner fender about halfway towards the front of the fender, and then the positive cable goes from this location in a cross country deal right to the starter. On the C body, the starter relay is mounted very close to the brake power booster, and the large positive cable actually wraps around the top of the power booster and then slides into the starter area from the firewall towards the front behind the exhaust manifold. I measured the length that I need for the largest positive cable and it's 68 inches. I measured the same on my E body, and it's 56 inches -- so just the large positive cables are way off.

Sounds like none of the vendors are making these -- I'll try Mega Parts and see if Roy or Jaime know anything about this.

Anyone know how to make these, or is there a company out there that makes custom battery cables that is good? Looks like this is probably the route I'm headed to if this other doesn't pan out.

Thanks for the responses guys!!!!!!!!!

Custom cables will bankrupt you.
Depends on you.
You want good looking cables that do the job or exact reproductions?

And how did they turn out Alan?

Like NOS (less a part number label).
The starter end is moulded like the original, the relay end like original, wrapped like original (same cloth like tape), mounting peg attached like original,all with a new fusible link with the correct connectors.

They were given a sample and also have original drawings.
IMG_0270.jpg

Alan

IMG_0270.jpg

AAP and AZ have cables for $10-$15 on the shelf......yeah they aren't original.

I have yet not been able to come up with a good looking cable set by mixing and matching parts stores stuff. Sometimes you have to use a little ingenuity.

The starter end is moulded like the original, the relay end like original, wrapped like original (same cloth like tape), mounting peg attached like original,all with a new fusible link with the correct connectors.

View attachment 56911

Alan

What was the price Alan?

View attachment 56911

Alan

That looks really good. That's the kind of quality that I'm looking for. What's the best way to get in touch with M & H? I'm going to be flying out to L.A. this next week, so I can definitely drop by if that would be the best.

Thanks for posting this good information.

Sales and Customer Service

(562) 926-9552

Technical Support

(562) 926-9562

24 Hour Fax Line

(562) 926-9572

e-Mail Address

sparky@wiringharness.com

Please do not e-mail us technical related questions. Call our Tech Support line instead.

Mailing Address

M&H Electric Fabricators, Inc.

13537 Alondra Blvd.

Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670

M&H is not a company that normally deals with the public. Normally you go through Year One. On stuff not in Year One's catalog they can deal direct. They are not a retail operation. I would initiate contact prior to dropping by.

Alan

Back