Battery issues

I did just change out the voltage regulator about 5 months ago. I will say this alternator looks pretty old lol

In case the alternator is ok don't rule out the voltage regulator. I bought a non-solid state regulator it lasted 1 year.

Okay guys thanks a lot. My next day off is Friday and I'll check on things.

Well I'll be a monkeys uncle lol. So step one check the battery while connected but everything off. Dc volts reading 12.6.
Step 2 turn the car on, DC volts drop to 12.42. Step 3, replace voltage regulator with the old that had came with the car. Results, DC volts climbed up from 12.42 to 13.33 and climbing slowly. So I guess the answer is the brand new regulator was to blame?

Doesn't surprise me. I have learned not to trust any new electronics. Glad it seems you have solved your problem.

So about a month ago my battery (new) just up and died on me. Now I'm sure there's probably a short somewhere but I disconnect the battery each time she sits and come out to find it dead again. What could eat away at my battery life? Could it be a bad alternator while I'm driving that's draining it or possibly just a bad battery ?
Dan
ground one of the field winding from the alternator it should go to full charge put a good volt meter on the battery . with the car running it should show at least 13.5volts if it dosent then the alternator is bad. now if the alternator is putting out 15 volts + all the time then its OVER charging & it boiling the battery dry. how many times has the battery gone dead? if it gose dead 1 time u have loosed 50% of the capacity of the battery ,if it gose dead again u have lost another 25% of it now its hurt but if it gose dead 3 times its shot . the battery tester the stores use will show it as a bad battery
now also make Shure the cables r good .a bad cable will make u think u have a dead battery.is there a way we can exchainge phone numbers with out everyone knowing them?R u in face book? im in it .I have been working on mopars D& cars in general most of my life im marty koirtyohann in facebook. if we can exchange # I think I can help u

Agreed something wrong in the charging should be upper 13 amps at least when running. If you want to rule out the alternator, take it off and have it checked. Mine last summer was my voltage regulator. Buy the solid state one if only 10-15 dollars more if it is not the alternator.
May be as simple as needing new brushes in the alternator. Extremely simple to replace. Sometimes can be done without even removing alt.

Back