Battery Tender?

53ryder

Reaction score
I bought a 'battery tender' for my Monaco. Never had one before. So I just plug the tender into a socket and connect the leads to my battery and leave it alone until the next time I take car out for drive?

Glenn

Well I thought I'd ask anyways. Hate to fry something because I left it on too long.

Glenn

I have a four bank tender. I take the batteries out of the cars and put them on the counter and charge all four all winter long. If I left them in the car I personally would disconnect the battery

I know people who have used them and have had good luck, disconnecting the battery would be a good idea but not necessary

I bought 6 trickle chargerz from what was Murrey's at the time here in Michigan and has now been absorbed buy O'Reilly's. 10 yearz or more now and one went bad and they replaced it. Lookz kinda funny on my work bench all winter but It workz and savez $, Jer

A tender is a good idea and will lengthen the life of your battery. A good one will shut down at full charge and reconnect "as needed".

I'm doing a pro touring build for a client now and have a tender permanantly mounted in it. I installed a battery kill switch but there are also several "memory" features on the car which require a constant 12V feed.

57 batt charger (Large).JPG

I have the battery tender on one car. I just plug the pig tail on the charger after a run. I've done it for several years with no problem. The rest of my cars, I disconnect the battery. I have the Optimas in those, and several have told me not to use a battery tender with them. I have never looked into the validity of that claim however.

I've always disconnected the battery whenever I've used the tender. Over the winter, I usually put a battery in my basement walkway on the tender. Come the spring, it's always ready to go.

Back