Beefing up a C body

There is no reference on any of those pages that's says **** about what intake comes with the kit he has! What make you the expert on what intake he has?

The intake in the pic of the OP's engine looks an awful lot like the Performer intake for a RB shown on the Edlebrock website. But then I'm no expert, just observant.
You can always call them and find out.

I have the Performer intake on my 440 (66 Polara) and the air cleaner is trapped between the carb and hood. Thought it was a drop down, guess not. The RPM intake flows better, and moves the powerband up in RPM's.

Has anyone tried to turn their C body into a sleeper? Or do Y'all prefer stock? I got a 68 Fury iii with a 440 from a motorhome with an Edelbrock top end kit and headers . 727 with column shift and 3.23 gears. Plenty of power to move all that steel. My problem now is that the intake is too high for any filter to fit. Now I'm thinking about a gasketed scoop. I just don't want to alter the originality but i think my hands are tiedView attachment 182783 View attachment 182784 View attachment 182785

I also have a 440 from a motor home which was stroked to 500 with 550 hp, 323 limited slip from 1975 Imperial and 727 column shift on my 1972 Fury III. I ordered the lower Edelbrock manifold and it clears the hood just barely with dual snorkel. I am working on getting the shift to work around my headers 2.5" TTI (did you deal with that yet?). Also working on issue with adjusting kick down on 727.

I have a firm feel suspension and cop car wheels - I am sure it would be considered a sleeper as does yours since most people would not expect the beast that lies within.

I am getting a local Mopar shop to help me with my mechanical issues. I need the paint color sanded, waiting on SMS headliner and seat cushions, then I will post my sleeper photos and videos.
1972 Fury with 440 Motor in 2017.jpg
IMG_1394.JPG

Good luck - on your project. Post burnout video someday as will I.

Last edited:
I also have a 440 from a motor home which was stroked to 500 with 550 hp, 323 limited slip from 1975 Imperial and 727 column shift on my 1972 Fury III. I ordered the lower Edelbrock manifold and it clears the hood just barely with dual snorkel. I am working on getting the shift to work around my headers 2.5" TTI (did you deal with that yet?). Also working on issue with adjusting kick down on 727.

I have a firm feel suspension and cop car wheels - I am sure it would be considered a sleeper as does yours since most people would not expect the beast that lies within.

I am getting a local Mopar shop to help me with my mechanical issues. I need the paint color sanded, waiting on SMS headliner and seat cushions, then I will post my sleeper photos and videos.
View attachment 182876 View attachment 182877

Good luck - on your project. Post burnout video someday as will I.
Will you be at Farmington in June?

Yes, but the car may not be there yet, it will be going to Belle Plaine to RT Garage right after the show
I'll see it one of these days!

What issues are you having with your headers, the tubes running through the space where the bracket want to go?

I'll see it one of these days!

What issues are you having with your headers, the tubes running through the space where the bracket want to go?

The exhaust is in the way of the linkage. My motor was placed in and not really completed by the shop I had working on it. I have about five issues they could not figure out, including hooking up the new Sanden compressor to the Mopar AC, finishing the power steering hook up from the new Firm Feel police box, the kick down, and the linkage for the shifter. The motor ran for about five minutes in the car and on the dyno from the builder. It has been a long road. Are you familiar with RT Garage in Belle Plaine they seem to be one of the few places that has the knowledge to finish these issues, really nice people with fantastic Chargers, Challengers etc., all 440s or Hemis, top level cars.

The exhaust is in the way of the linkage. My motor was placed in and not really completed by the shop I had working on it. I have about five issues they could not figure out, including hooking up the new Sanden compressor to the Mopar AC, finishing the power steering hook up from the new Firm Feel police box, the kick down, and the linkage for the shifter. The motor ran for about five minutes in the car and on the dyno from the builder. It has been a long road. Are you familiar with RT Garage in Belle Plaine they seem to be one of the few places that has the knowledge to finish these issues, really nice people with fantastic Chargers, Challengers etc., all 440s or Hemis, top level cars.
I know of them and have see them at the show, definitely some cool cars.

tti has an adapter linkage piece to get around the header. I got lucky on my 66 and it cleared fine. So did the kickdown, I had the three piece style. Hopefully it's all done soon.

No need for me to call, lol. I was being sarcastic. Stubs300 called out another member on his "expertise" when all you had to do was look at Bob68fury's picture to see what intake he has.
Whoops, wasn't paying enough attention. Those three letters stand out on the runner pretty clearly. It's all good.

Has anyone tried to turn their C body into a sleeper? Or do Y'all prefer stock? I got a 68 Fury iii with a 440 from a motorhome with an Edelbrock top end kit and headers . 727 with column shift and 3.23 gears. Plenty of power to move all that steel. My problem now is that the intake is too high for any filter to fit. Now I'm thinking about a gasketed scoop. I just don't want to alter the originality but i think my hands are tiedView attachment 182783 View attachment 182784 View attachment 182785

mine is a sleeper, drive it 70+ miles to the track, bolt on drag radials, make some runs then change tires and head home. It goes 12.35 now.

Performer RPM and quickfuel carb with a drop base air cleaner, it is tight but fits.

There is no reference on any of those pages that's says **** about what intake comes with the kit he has! What make you the expert on what intake he has?
Because I can read? First of all, in his picture the front passenger side runner has "PERFORMER RPM" cast into it. Also, he has Edelbrock aluminum heads. Since he said he used an "Edelbrock top end kit", there is only one kit for a 440 which comes with the Performer RPM and their heads.

I also have a Performer RPM intake myself and I know what they look like. If you bothered to compare the OP's picture with the second one down on the page that you linked to, you'd see that they are identical.

No need for me to call, lol. I was being sarcastic. Stubs300 called out another member on his "expertise" when all you had to do was look at Bob68fury's picture to see what intake he has.

:lol:

Last edited:
There's nothing that says sleeper like a procharger on a 496! And all hidden under the hood. You will hear it though!

20170814_110333.jpg

Nice 69fastop! Now that is a sleeper!!! What is the compression ratio and how much boost you going to run??

I am running 10-1 compression. Should be running about 10 pounds of boots. Getting g ready to take to my builder for break-in and dyno. Really hope she'll be on the road sometime this summer!

Dont forget your video camera for the dyno run!!!

Are you going to run pump premium or race gas? Is the plan to run pump premium? Is that possible with aluminum heads at that boost level? If you have a loud exhaust how will you monitor detonation? Will you have a knock sensor and read out?
Looks great by the way.

Back