Bend torsionbar , problem or not?

Trace score:

Torsion bar snaps—zero
Car hits—zero
Lightning strikes—zero

:thumbsup:
Only one lightning strike for me.

I was driving to Erie, PA back when I was working for GE. I had my co-worker and good friend Bruce with me. (C-Body content, he used to own my 300). We had the GE Ford Aerostar (referred to as the Death Star) and in the course of the 4 hour drive from Syracuse, the conversation turned to religion.... Something I generally don't talk about... Bad rainstorm with a little lightning... Suddenly, there was a huge flash and crack and we were hit by a lightning strike. It was so bright that it blinded me... So there we were, hurtling down the Thruway at about 70MPH in the rain, at night... and I couldn't see anything... Fortunately, we were the only ones on the road at the time and the road was straight so I could get it slowed down for the scary few seconds of not seeing where I was going.

I told Bruce that we needed to change the subject.... We were getting paid "time and a half" though!

Joe Btfsplk!!

For those of you who don't know: Joe Btfsplk - Wikipedia
Nope, really not me... I had a friend that was him though...

Two examples come to mind... One was I saw him one night after he got out of work... He was working for Carrier at the time. He was walking down a hallway and a fitting broke off an airline that was about shin height. It smacked him in his shin just like he was shot. Did a bunch of damage to his leg.

Another time, I was watching the news and I saw what was left of an older NYS State Trooper car.... And then I realized it was his (he had a few over the years) . The roof was cut off. This got my attention and the story turned out he was hit head on by a drunk in a Camaro.... 9AM on a Sunday morning. How does that happen? Anyway, he's built like a freaking tank and the docs said that was the only reason he came out alive, albeit some internal bruising that put him in the hospital.

That's just two stories.... This guy always had something in a sling or bandaged up. Really nice guy too.... I hadn't seen him in a few years and ran into him at (of course) my pain management docs a couple years ago.

And because it must have run in the family... His father was out fishing on one of the lakes one night and was hit by a drunk in another boat. Unfortunately it killed him.

That's just two stories.... This guy always had something in a sling or bandaged up. Really nice guy too.... I hadn't seen him in a few years and ran into him at (of course) my pain management docs a couple years ago.

But he wasn't hit by lightning.

:rofl:

Torsion bars break typically when cooling and shrinking(car not moving)... Every time you drove the car you mini heat cycled it since the exhaust is right next to them.. Its like "cold cracking" due to corrosion... This SAVED Chryslers hide in 57 when they started failing due to rust compromising it (back in the housing and underneath). I noticed my 58 torsion bars were almost like powder coated and they stuck a rubber cover so the corrosion wouldn't get in the retainer(stuck full of grease also) They would have caught even MORE hell if they started failing while people were driving, holy ****... Always check your torsion bars for any corrosion underneath(typically in the back, underneath).

Broken Torsion Bars are great for chopping holes through ice for fishing.

Torsion bars twist, not bend. Any longitudinal bend is better known as a break. It was not straight from manufacture. Of no consequence.

Back