WANTED bendix booster

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluefury361

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Contact seller
Found one. Thanks for your input guys.

I need a bendix brake booster to fit a 1969 Chrysler w/disc brakes. Part number is 2883091. Parts book says all 69 C body, inc Imperial, will interchange. Not sure about other years.
Thanks. Will.

rockerarm@juno.com

Last edited:
Every time you go to order one of those boosters, they usually say they are not available anymore, despite Cardone's listing. And they substitute a newer style booster probably not made by Bendix originally. Part of the problem is that the booster than Will wants is also used on the Hemi cars in 1969-1970 at least, so they are rare to find anymore and/or very high priced. Best route is to find a used one from a C Body and have it rebuilt by someone like Booster Dewey.

Agreed - but I find it never hurts to ask the big rebuilders first anyhow just in case. You'd be surprised what's still sitting on warehouse shelves.

Often I try going direct to their product rep, and tell him why I don't want a substitute. I find they're usually quite eager to help as it helps their company maintain their good reputation. I get him to confirm warehouse stock of the right item, then reserve it pending my order from their vendor.

I've had good luck that way. from 4 Seasons and Wagner and Cardone.

[QUOTE="saforwardlook, Part of the problem is that the booster than Will wants is also used on the Hemi cars in 1969-1970 at least, so they are rare to find anymore and/or very high priced. QUOTE]

Parts book shows a different number for Hemi cars. But likely they will interchange.

Technically ours is slightly bigger... I think 8 3/4 inch dual diaphragm compared to
8 1/4 for hemi cars... can't remember.

They do exchange I believe.

I pulled a booster and master cylinder off a 1 ton motorhome that looked like it would be an option. The dimensions on the mount studs are off though. I suppose I could center it up and re drill the plate but I'd prefer to find a correct booster first.

I tried ordering one of those for my wagon years ago when I did the disc swap, but it was not the proper Bendix unit like the picture showed, nor what I expected. It was a generic 80's(?) booster for a B/D series van/truck. I actually called Cardone and asked about this and voiced my displeasure, and they stated that the generic booster would/should function the same as the Bendix unit....even if it does not look correct.

Yup - that happens - I usually climb up their ladder a bit to the managerial level and see what action I can get. Usually a few sugar coated compliments gets the manager sourcing the right one for you. It can take a bit of time though...

I don't know about the diameter of the Hemi booster, but it does have larger-dia studs that go through the firewall than a C-booster does, If you find a Hemi booster, you need to sell it for big $$ and wait for the right booster to come along.

71-up used a larger-diameter single-diaphragm which is still available if you're not worried about appearance. $90 at RockAuto. This booster reportedly has an interference on Slab cars with column-shift AT, the booster blocks the shifter from hitting 1st gear. I would think it would fit a 69 with no issue if it fits a 71???

And whatever you do, don't get tricked into a drum-brake booster. A drum booster will give false sense of proper operation in normal use but does not give sufficient boost for discs during heavy braking (although some drum-brake cars (Imperials?) do use the Bendix dual-diaphragm booster).

upload_2017-4-9_22-53-26.png

O'Reillys list them but it says unavailable or out of stock for my 70 300 with disk brakes. But if you have a guy at the counter guy who's paying attention to the computer it says you can send yours in to get rebuilt. I just did my booster. Their list price on the part was $103 for a remanufactured. To get yours rebuilt they send it out and it still only cost the $103 but you have to pay shipping. I think it was around $125 with shipping and it took about a 4 weeks to get it and it's the same one you sent in so you know it fits. Hell of a lot cheaper than buying a repo or rebuild from other places or even the price on a used one if you can find one.

O'Reillys list them but it says unavailable or out of stock for my 70 300 with disk brakes. But if you have a guy at the counter guy who's paying attention to the computer it says you can send yours in to get rebuilt. I just did my booster. Their list price on the part was $103 for a remanufactured. To get yours rebuilt they send it out and it still only cost the $103 but you have to pay shipping. I think it was around $125 with shipping and it took about a 4 weeks to get it and it's the same one you sent in so you know it fits. Hell of a lot cheaper than buying a repo or rebuild from other places or even the price on a used one if you can find one.
Will's car is his DD. Sending the booster out will put him out of commission for gawd knows how long.

Will's car is his DD. Sending the booster out will put him out of commission for gawd knows how long.

No Stan. It's for Jazabelle. I made calls to every parts supplier on the web and got the same answer ..... Not available.
It seems I'm OK now, one has appeared. :thumbsup:

I had another spare I sent in. But yes waiting is the only bad part but my car was parked for winter so wasn't an issue. But it's nice to know that option is there.

I had another spare I sent in. But yes waiting is the only bad part but my car was parked for winter so wasn't an issue. But it's nice to know that option is there.

Do you have a link to the rebuilder you used....? or did you just send it through O'Reilly's. The local store here didn't offer that option.

Booster Dewey told me that the internals are different than the B-Body (Hemi) one, I had two and got credit for one of them, he mixed and matched parts on the rebuild.

Alan

Do you have a link to the rebuilder you used....? or did you just send it through O'Reilly's. The local store here didn't offer that option.
I sent it through Oreilly's. I would be they can do it there but the person who helped you at the counter didn't know it was an option. Only one guy at the counter knew it was possible when I did mine and the other guys there never knew. When I did mine it was the 1st one the store manager had done in the few years he had been there and only the 2nd time the regional manager had done it. I believe if you ask them again or ask the manager about it specifically, I would think they could find out how to do it. I do know they have to go into the product description or details to see where it says that its possible to send it in. The first screen just says unavailable and then the guys working do not look farther into it. Otherwise ask them to call the Oreilly's in Belvidere IL and have them ask the manager here how to do it if their manager doesn't know how. I believe they sent it off to cardone to have it redone even tho it came back with their house brand BrakeBest on the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back