benefits to using steel braided brake hoses???

moonrunner1972

Reaction score
First, I would like to thank everyone for their feedback regarding my last question regarding the swap from a cast iron master cylinder to the newer aluminum style. I have decided to stick with the stock setup. Since I am getting ready to replace the calipers on my 1973 Polara since the passenger side has begun to freeze up, I wanted to know if there are any advantages of upgrading to the stainless steel braided style or stick with the OEM kind. Aside from the differences in price (roughly $40 to replace all three hoses with the OEM style versus $100 for steel braided), are their any advantages for a daily driver?

None for a daily driver.

The real advantage in a good (emphasis on good) braided hose is the hose does not expand as much under pressure. In theory, this gives better braking response, but unless you are autocrossing or road racing, you will never see the advantage.

You probably wont see any difference in performance. The steel braid exterior holds up better and does not flex like the rubber but I dont know for sure what it is lined with if it's rubber it will rot over time just like the rubber hose. I would just stick with the OEM for a driver just my 2cents

You probably wont see any difference in performance. The steel braid exterior holds up better and does not flex like the rubber but I dont know for sure what it is lined with if it's rubber it will rot over time just like the rubber hose. I would just stick with the OEM for a driver just my 2cents

Good (again, emphasis on good) braided brake line is stainless braid with a teflon liner.

Back