Bess's Phantom Blow by Problem

Mick

Reaction score
My '66 Imp was blowing oil (I thought) out of my breather cap and onto my exhaust manifold, creating periodic smoke episodes. PCV? Clogged breather cap? Stuck rings? New pcv valve and some seafoam. No change. What I had noticed was the oil collected on the forward sparkplug wire separator, the brake fluid reservoir appeared damp, and the high pressure power steering line appeared slightly shiny close to the pump end, as did the black insulation padding on the steering line. Finally, after pulling that insulation back, I realized that it was soaked! Of course, I immediately checked the PS fluid. Damn near empty.
Long story short, put a new line on, problem solved- almost. Tried the bleeding method of turning wheel to each stop like thirty times. No bueno. Noise still there when wheel brought to stop.

Suggestions?

I'd venture to say it's time for a new pump especially if the noise is from cavitation caused by excessive clearances at the internal rotor. And now that you've remedied this issue here's some enlightening info on that new PCV valve you just bought:

Ask Away! with Jeff Smith: How to Choose (or Build Your Own) PCV System to Control Oil Vapor
The problem's not the PCV valve itself, it's what the parts houses are selling you and you believing that you've got the right one.

Now look this over:

Dual Flow PCV Valve – FAQ – M/E Wagner Performance Products

Last edited:
I'd venture to say it's time for a new pump especially if the noise is from cavitation caused by excessive clearances at the internal rotor. And now that you've remedied this issue here's some enlightening info on that new PCV valve you just bought:

Ask Away! with Jeff Smith: How to Choose (or Build Your Own) PCV System to Control Oil Vapor
The problem's not the PCV valve itself, it's what the parts houses are selling you and you believing that you've got the right one.

Now look this over:

Now look this over:

Thank you for the info!

Let the car sit overnight, top off P/S fluid, pull coil wire on dist cap to prevent it from starting, crank engine for 10 sec, recheck P/S fluid, crank for 10 sec, check level again, crank 10 sec, check fluid, start car and let idle. Should make noise go away.

Jeff

Back