best cleaner for small chrome items

bollotti

Reaction score
What have others found as best product to clean small chrome items, for example window winders, door handles etc...

Thanks

I like never dull for that stuff.

I have mothers, i was thinking more along the lines of something i could leave to soak in overnight.

Are the chrome items covered/preserved by nicotine? Just wondering.

In general, considering that most "coverings" might be of an oil-based source, using an oil-based cleaner/polish might be more appropriate. Where the oil in the polish would help dissolve the coating and then the small amount of abrasive would help clean it up manually. For example, I've come to rely upon "cleaner wax" to remove road tar rather than the liquid tar/road oil removers. Put a coat of wax on it, let it sit a bit, then more wax, and it'll come off easily (turning the towel often) and leave a coat of wax when it's all done. WITHOUT the smell of other "remover" liquids.

CBODY67

simple green and a tooth brush seem to work good for cleaning. #0000 steel wool followed by windex polishes well.

New window cranks are 5 bux a pop. Just sayin'
Interior door pull handles and arm rest bases are also in reproduction.
Vent window cranks are NOS or used.
I use Mothers for small chrome bits .
Also I have a buffer with different wheels and rouges.

New window cranks are 5 bux a pop. Just sayin'
Interior door pull handles and arm rest bases are also in reproduction.
Vent window cranks are NOS or used.
I use Mothers for small chrome bits .
Also I have a buffer with different wheels and rouges.

Repros can be nice AND are needed sometimes. When we were doing the Superbird, a major repro supplier was used for everything that was needed. It was easy to tell the repro outside door handles from the OEMs, due to the fact the repros were glass-smooth chromed whereas the OEMs had a visible (upon close inspection) uniform "slight scratch" pattern under the chrome. IF you look for it, it's there. Otherwise, a bit dull, in need of some wheel-buffing, possibly.

Other repro items, as good as they might be, even if they are still available from the OEM, usually are not quite as good as the orig items, unfortunately. Not just related to Chrysler products, either. Be that as it may.

The trend is to get repro when necessary, but refurb OEM might be a better option for some.

Just some observations,
CBODY67

thanks for the replies, looks like these parts are more suitable for small hands to clean. Now where are my boys....

I have used this for years. I was amazed how dirty my door sills were after using it. My application cloth turned blackish as I wiped it over the parts. By the third application the cloth looked clean. Great for pieces that haven't been cleaned in years like my door sills after buying the car.
PRO Car Beauty Products: C-92 GADNIUM™ METAL POLISH

C-92-Pb.jpg

I just used some old Chrome Cleaner or Rubbing Compound that's been sitting around the garage for ever.
Just enough abrasive to clean any gunk or rust & polishes the chrome. Have used these on bumpers and wheel covers etc. for ever to remove surface rust and stains.

I’ve used the Mother’s chrome polish, never dull and even the CLR tarnish remover.
Once I got the shine desired, I coated the part with the old Liquid Glass sealer
Lasts a good long time

Back