Beware AAA Motor Club

traintech55

Reaction score
AAA letter.jpg

Well guys, let me tell you about this one, seems like another good company gone down the toilet. I have been a member with them for the past six years, my membership is a "Premier RV" . One of the perks of the membership is towing up to 200 miles. This summer I went to have my Newport towed home from Indianapolis, (175 miles). When I went to get it towed, they refused the tow saying "Because of Covid, they could not do long distance towing". I would have to get it towed, and submit a reimbursement. I did this and the tow was $563.00. They did give me the reimbursement, but it is a crock, you pay for a membership, use it once in two years, and then they drop you.
So can anyone recommend another motor club?
Bill

I've been a premium member for over 12 years. Never had a problem or complaint with them. And I have used the services a lot. including more roll back rides for old cars than I can count. One 175 miles. They have changed tires, brought me gas and towed me from a ditch. I figure I'm way ahead of the game, even if I sign up for the next ten years.
I never heard of someone being canceled for overuse.

I've been a premium member for over 12 years. Never had a problem or complaint with them. And I have used the services a lot. including more roll back rides for old cars than I can count. One 175 miles. They have changed tires, brought me gas and towed me from a ditch. I figure I'm way ahead of the game, even if I sign up for the next ten years.
I never heard of someone being canceled for overuse.
You did see the copy of the letter?

Appreciate the heads up, I to have had AAA for a number of years mainly because of the classics cars I’ve owned, I’ve even gotten AAA for my 2 older children. And I’ve never had an issue, the only thing I can think of is it might be geographical. It might just be your areas local AAA office covid protocols. Just a guess.

@traintech55 I'd suggest you remove or blur out your info in the letter (name and address etc.) Someone might have a car towed to your house. :lol:

That’s a bizarre looking letter. Are you sure it’s legit? Did you call them? I’ve been a member for 40 years. With the kids in college 90+ miles away over the past 8 years, I’ve had their cars towed home dozens of times, and never an issue. Once it was over the limit and I paid the $2 per mile, all of $60. Every year like clock work they send the bill for the membership.

That’s a bizarre looking letter. Are you sure it’s legit? Did you call them? I’ve been a member for 40 years. With the kids in college 90+ miles away over the past 8 years, I’ve had their cars towed home dozens of times, and never an issue. Once it was over the limit and I paid the $2 per mile, all of $60. Every year like clock work they send the bill for the membership.
No I didn't call them yet. I was to angry when I got the letter. I was going to cool off and call them Monday. Keep you all posted.

I have some friends who have there parts cars,non running project cars towed by AAA road service. They abuse the system and nobody ever says anything about it?

Wow that is too bad I have been a plus member for over 30 years. There were years I even exceeded my maximum tows for the year, and they still covered it. I have noticed they have definitely changed policy over the years. I have been fortunate not to need their services at all, during Covid.

I have the plus AAA plan too. Rarely have I ever used it. No tows so far.

I've been a member for 4 years but fortunately have not needed to use it

I have some friends who have there parts cars,non running project cars towed by AAA road service. They abuse the system and nobody ever says anything about it?

I'm one of them, and I feel terrible about it.
A few months back I had a new top installed on the Polara. The trim shop is about 45 miles away and I couldn't find someone to drive me over there. It was late on a Friday. and there was risk that the car would have stay outside if I didn't pick it up. I drove the Mustang over, called AAA and they came and hauled the Mustang home. I gave some lame excuse that it was stalling and nothing else was ever said. The driver drove it on and off the roll back. Never questioned it.
I did feel like a criminal though, but got over it.

I should have tried to get them tow my 61 back from Texas.
I'm one of them, and I feel terrible about it.
A few months back I had a new top installed on the Polara. The trim shop is about 45 miles away and I couldn't find someone to drive me over there. It was late on a Friday. and there was risk that the car would have stay outside if I didn't pick it up. I drove the Mustang over, called AAA and they came and hauled the Mustang home. I gave some lame excuse that it was stalling and nothing else was ever said. The driver drove it on and off the roll back. Never questioned it.
I did feel like a criminal though, but got over it.

Hey Trev, please clean out your inbox. I have a message from a mutual acquaintance.
OK, I promised I would let you all know after, I called AAA motor club. They are not renewing my service because of the tow last summer. Like I said, another good company down the toilet.

Back