BIGGEST WHEEL & TIRE Size for Rear Axle on 1971 Chrysler Newport

Pablo

Reaction score
Hi ALL :)
I'm looking to raise the rear of My Newport ( to get that 70's - 80's Street Machine Look )
& am looking to see if anyone know what is the widest & tallest tire I can put on the rear axle , with out tubbing the car?
I would really like to put a deep dish 15 x 10 wheel in the axle
Picture below is the look I'm going for... but in My C Body.

http://vipernationinternational.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/71-Satellite-GTS-001.jpg

Last edited:
Your pic is not a C body of course ,,Let's see your ride and then we may be able to advise you. What Newport you got? You can put lipstick on anything but it won't make everything look better. It could make you look really stupid. welcome by the way!

Last edited:
he has a " 1971 Chrysler Newport"
that he wants to make it so that it handles like crap and
look about the same....
Not to mention illegal as most states have height laws....

Here is a picture of My 71' Chrysler Newport Custom.
20170607_155832.jpg

'71 Newports are road machines. You need to be a couple feet shorter to be a "street machine". On top of that your car was designed as a "luxury" car with severely low, overhanging quarter panels. 15x10s won't fit ( possibly with low profiles ) but how ridiculous would that look? Deep dishes aren't going to work either. Do yourself and your car a favor and find a good set of 15x7's and 235/75R15's, and call it a day. In your defense, these cars did drag their butts in stock set-up, an extra leaf slid into place with the others often remedies the problem. My '70 Newport convertible underwent the full '80's rocker transformation, torsion bars jacked up as far as possible and ten leafs per side and coil overs on the rear -
WP_20170815_15_58_29_Pro.jpg

WP_20170815_15_58_29_Pro.jpg

Dang, I took too long typing my response. Don't change a thing. Mirada wheels look great. Stance is perfect. Just need to swap those RWL's with white walls and you're on your way. Beautiful car, enjoy.

Hello Pablo and welcome. A very nice looking Newport, you should be proud! It would be fun to see it in person at the Volo C body gathering.

Nice car Pablo!! Please don't put lipstick on her! She is beautiful just the way she is. Classy.:thumbsup:

@Pablo I honestly do think that is a very nice ride as it is. Something I’d love to daily. But ultimately it is your car. You’re the one who turns the wrenches on it. Although it’s not what Chrysler intended at all - it is possible to do it tastefully and suttely to give it a more Muscle look. One the other gear heads and even C Body guys could appreciate. It’s a 2 door and a fusie so you at least checked off those 2 boxes. These are the only 2 71’s I know off the top of my head with the look but I’m sure there’s more. One of which belongs to a member here.

B139007A-E30D-45FE-B890-4E5DB2749D59.jpeg

EF08293E-A060-47B6-97BB-05D89F3D3BD9.jpeg

39596D1A-2AA1-4A40-B3D4-7EF80462CAC2.jpeg

Well truthfully I did go abit down that path with my 69 Fury Pablo. I was a kid once and remember the extremes that these cars went through in looks ,good and bad. In the rear of my Fury I felt the 235 70 15's on the car looked like a girl in a skirt with too skinny legs. I went to a 15/8 steel wheel with 275/60/15 in the rear. The front I kept to 235/70/15s to keep the same outside diameter if I remember correctly. I also lowered the front end a tad.

@Pablo I honestly do think that is a very nice ride as it is. Something I’d love to daily. But ultimately it is your car. You’re the one who turns the wrenches on it. Although it’s not what Chrysler intended at all - it is possible to do it tastefully and suttely to give it a more Muscle look. One the other gear heads and even C Body guys could appreciate. It’s a 2 door and a fusie so you at least checked off those 2 boxes. These are the only 2 71’s I know off the top of my head with the look but I’m sure there’s more. One of which belongs to a member here.

View attachment 168949

View attachment 168950

View attachment 168951
You know what I'm talking about
& Thank You for the info
Much Appreciated :D

I don’t recall anybody jacking up a “c” body in the 70s and 80s.
Your car looks great just as it is.

Back