Bleeding powersteering pump...

At this point I would put the old pump, (since it worked), back in the car and see what happens. I have gotten so many bad rebuilt parts from Rock Auto, I will not buy from them unless I have to.

I'm sending the pump back to RA. 3yr/36k mile warranty. Maybe I got a bad pump. My return hose is new, and my hi pressure line is clear. Like I stated before, all was good...until I replaced the pump. Which I never should have. That was my fault.

Rock Auto sell a lot of Cardone remans and you can figure about a 50/50 chance that it will be one that works.

Dave

The Chrysler psf seems to have a wax content in it, where atf has none, from how they look. BUT very similar viscosity (about 10W?). Viscosity affects flow, additive packages don't. BUT as some gears might be sensitive to the wax build-up internally, the atf might clean them out?

I'll concur, that with Chrysler psf, no leaks or seeps, but if the oil is reddish, even seeps through the rubber in the pressure line. New, correct psf always fixes that.

Ford does spec their ps systems to use THEIR atf. Perhaps Type F fluid might not have the seep/leak issues Dexron-family fluids tend to have? No need to experiment when the stock-spec psf has worked well for me.

Keep us posted,
CBODY67

At this point I would put the old pump, (since it worked), back in the car and see what happens. I have gotten so many bad rebuilt parts from Rock Auto, I will not buy from them unless I have to.

I can't put old pump back in.....it's in pieces in a box. :(. I cant remember how all the shims and stuff go back in. Damn! Going to call a few rebuild shops on the internet that rebuild old pumps.

I can't put old pump back in.....it's in pieces in a box. :(. I cant remember how all the shims and stuff go back in. Damn! Going to call a few rebuild shops on the internet that rebuild old pumps.

If you are that ambitious, the FSM has good diagrams and instructions on assembly/disassembly.

Dave

I think I will try that. Watching football now, but I think I downloaded some stuff off the web about rebuilding the Federal pumps. I'll research tonight. Thanks!!
www.mymopar.com has the FSM for free download. You will find the service manuals in the Tools/Reference section from their homepage.

Dave

Well, well, well. Went back to work, and messed up ankle again. OMG!!

So, decided to rebuild old pump....period correctness! Have all I need but the Oilite bushing for the front of the shaft/housing. I saw it on ebay, but it's part of a kit for 40 bucks. Looking on the web, see numerous sizes, and only couple bucks. Anyone know the size of that bushing, or a source where I an get it for a decent price? Thanks!

Bought a 5/8"ID by 3/4"OD...seems to fit perfect. Could only find 1" long. Need to trim to maybe 1/2" long. Still need to measure that. Only a buck a piece!

I'd be interested in seeing this process. I saved my factory pump. I had some trouble getting a good bleed on mine. I used part store power steering fluid. I finally just started driving it. Seems like road vibration and use does the best job sometimes.
I've had the same expeirence with some brake systems.

Back