Blinking problem

At some point in a car's life, the turn signal switch goes bad, and can lead to weird happenings with blinkers and brake lights.

But it's a worst case scenario.

In the meantime, pull all of your bulbs, clean all the sockets from corrosion as needed, I use contact grease in the sockets personally.

At the same time, make sure any grounding wire terminals that you can see are clean and corrosion free.

I like to undo crusty looking grounds - tread lightly, do no harm, use plenty of proper penetrating oil and needed time to loosen fasteners - clean the metal lightly, rub a layer of Moly grease on the area and reattach cable or wire.

Also look at all your bulbs to make sure nothing is shorted or open, replace as necessary with quality bulbs, not bottom of the barrel Chinese parts store junk.

On many old rigs, you see added ground jumpers from bulkhead to fenders, pickup beds to frame, etc, whatever it takes to establish a sound ground between parts, but corrosion from time and the elements will disable the connections.

Last edited:
I would check all grounds first. If those are okay, then I would look at the turn signal switch. I had an electrical problem on a 1968 Chrysler New Yorker, and it took me a week to trace it back to the turn signal switch. Be sure to get the electrical diagrams and blow them up to where you can read them and also use colored pencils to mark the wires path in the diagram. Electrical diagrams also let you know where to look for the grounds are located.

Agree with
*Clean out light sockets
*Check ground at light sockets
Also
*Disconnect turn signal switch connector under column. Rig input power with jumper wire. Actuate turn signal lever. Voltmeter at connector: If you are getting power to both left and right blinker, I'd condemn the turn signal switch. Note: in 1972 Fury bad hazard light connections in the switch will make it blink both sides.

Back