Blower motor on a '69 NY.

celticwarlock

Reaction score
Are these things weak from the factory, or what? I could use one with a bit more grunt. It works alright, but the force it generates is fairly weak. My car (for those who don't know) was equipped with AutoTemp, and long ago someone put in a switch to operate the blower. When you turn on the heater & A/C controls, the blower motor comes on low automatically, and when you hit the added switch, it comes on faster, but it is still not as forceful as I'd like. Is there a way to upgrade, or get more speed out of the existing motor? Also, does anyone know how many speeds the blower motor for an AutoTemp system is supposed to have?

You could add a relay to the blower wiring and eliminate the voltage drop through the switch... But speaking of switch, is the switch that was installed a good one? Wiring proper sized? Are you sure it's direct to the blower and not through the resistor for "medium" speed?

One issue I've seen over and over is folks don't understand what kind of current draw something like a blower motor will have and use undersized wiring or a crappy switch.

The gauge of the wiring is very much adequate, and I do not know if it is wired directly to the motor. This, it would seem, is really the operative question. The switch itself is a good quality one from years ago. This retrofitting was likely done ages ago when the AutoTemp quit working properly, which could have been 30 years ago. I checked the wiring thoroughly before leaving for Carlisle, and it looked very clean. Whoever was in there was pretty careful. Though, one important question remains: How many speeds is the fan supposed to have with AutoTemp? Also, where is the motor resistor hiding? I have not located it yet.

According to my 70 FSM, 5 speeds for A/C and 4 in heat mode. Looks like the resistor is to the left of the center outlet of the heater box.

Do you have the FSM? There's a whole section in mine about the auto temp.

There's no 1969 FSM listed, but grab a 1970 version from here: MyMopar - Mopar Forums & Information - Service Manuals

Most likely, it's all the same between 69-70. If nothing else, it will get you started.

Back