Body Accent Paint Stripes

Georg/BBTR

Reaction score
Hi guys

I wondered how they laid on the body accent paint stripes on Chryslers and Imperials back in the day. Did they use a template at the factory or were the stripes hand applied by pinstripers?

Does anyone know the answer?

Georg

Depends a bit on the car. On lesser cars like ABEs, you'll note the stripes run in a simple straight line with open ends. This is done by dropping a metal fixture down next to the bodyside which clamps against the car. Then a little "slotcar" with wheels that run through a paint can turn against the body is pushed down the length of the track. This leaves a painted stripe.

99% the same idea for an Imperial, except that they actually had a real skilled pinstriper who could finish the ends of the stripe in a point.

Hi guys

I wondered how they laid on the body accent paint stripes on Chryslers and Imperials back in the day. Did they use a template at the factory or were the stripes hand applied by pinstripers?

Does anyone know the answer?

Georg
Hi I have a 73 Navajo Edition Chrysler Newport with orange pinstriping on it. Back about 10 years ago at the Chrysler Carlisle show I had a gentleman come up to me and tell me he probably painted that stripe on my car. Story goes he worked in the plant and one of his jobs was to paint the stripes on these Navajo Editions. He said a large template would come down and suction itself in place on the body of the car then he would run his pinstripe roller in the template and hand paint the stripe. I found that information very interesting and appreciated the conversation. Another reason everyone needs to go to Carlisle . It is a wealth of info!

Hi I have a 73 Navajo Edition Chrysler Newport with orange pinstriping on it. Back about 10 years ago at the Chrysler Carlisle show I had a gentleman come up to me and tell me he probably painted that stripe on my car. Story goes he worked in the plant and one of his jobs was to paint the stripes on these Navajo Editions. He said a large template would come down and suction itself in place on the body of the car then he would run his pinstripe roller in the template and hand paint the stripe. I found that information very interesting and appreciated the conversation. Another reason everyone needs to go to Carlisle . It is a wealth of info!

Yup. Template = fixture. There are some old super 8 type films of these cars being built. I've seen them "inside" Chrysler. Usually some kind of video montage that shows old-timey cars on an assembly line. I recall the pinstripe operation being shown.

Dodge Main 1973 used the jig template also. They were applied in the Final Repair area. We were building "E" and "A" body 2drs. then.

commo-strich-01.jpg

Just to give you an idea of These templates, as applied on a German GM product.

yep , we used a wheel type pinstrip roller machine for replacing factory stripped car in the body shop . only custom stuff got it done by hand . i did a hd tank and fenders for a bud years ago , with flames coming out the scallops , there were 194 flame tips on tha tank and fenders , the pinstripper said it was a new record for him on pinstripping flames on a single bike . sorry i'll try to get a pic of it but it was 30 years ago , lol that long ago what i'm nuts to think a can get a pic of it now .

Back