Boom

Not sure if we'll ever know. It's really bugging me because I had the rear out last winter. Replaced the leaky seal and axle bearings, U joints too. So naturally now I feel like I did something wrong. I've never had a problem before however..

Did I understand you to say the rear joint was still in the yoke on the diff? Did the drive shaft break at the yoke and leave the whole joint attached to the diff?

The reason I ask is you said you replaced the U-joints recently and it reminded me of a similar incident I had in my misspent youth.

I had just replaced the rear joint on my Belvedere and while I had installed the circlips on the cups on the drive shaft I neglected to do so for the ones on the yoke because I thought the straps would secure them and i was WRONG!!! LOL.

I was on my way to town after doing the deed and was wringing out the 318 and about halfway thru Drive after taching out second, there was an earth shattering kaboom and the shaft went spinning in a shower of sparks out from under the car. Straps were still on the yoke one broke and cups long gone.

Long story short installed a new joint with all FOUR circlips and drove on.

So did you install all your circlips?

Kevin

Yes...ALL clips. I have been through many lessons of Transmission , motor mount and U joint replacement as a kid ( pre 25) I think most of us have thrown drive shafts from the rear especially when we were kids.

Now, if something wasn't installed correctly or it was is probably why I started the thread.

Yes, the U is still bolted to the rear. The car had about 75 miles on it since I replaced them last winter

Did you get it fixed and re installed? I was just thinking about it and wondered

Me too....have you figured out why it went boom?

Not yet . Obviously I have it out , I picked up a core from Murray last week with another driveshaft. The housing and the core will go to a guy to get redone in a few weeks . With a little luck I can use the numbers matching front half and the tailshaft from the core . We'll see if the builder finds any damage within. Since it is the end of the season and having other cars makes this a no rush job ...

Back