Boom

Not that this will make you feel any better but the same Mopar mechanic has never seen anything that bad before.

had a spag pop out , an cough'd the motor . shear's rod bolts n sent two rods n pistons lose . it stopped turning of course . and a bunch of parts later (block , head , rods , crank , cam ) . back to the track , oh and a bolt in spag in that trans .

Not that this will make you feel any better but the same Mopar mechanic has never seen anything that bad before.
I have never seen the tail shaft housing come apart like that, crack in half, yes. Whole pieces of the front side come out from under the car and chase people away from the starting line.
Jeff is scaring me now because my Challenger trans has had a shatter spot right on the driver's side where the park pin rest (dark metal area), I J.B. Welded it years ago to stop the ooze of trans fluid.

I have never seen the tail shaft housing come apart like that, crack in half, yes. Whole pieces of the front side come out from under the car and chase people away from the starting line.
Jeff is scaring me now because my Challenger trans has had a shatter spot right on the driver's side where the park pin rest (dark metal area), I J.B. Welded it years ago to stop the ooze of trans fluid.
Keep her out of the burn out contests... IDK what else you could do to predict that kind of problem.

Keep her out of the burn out contests... IDK what else you could do to predict that kind of problem.
I figured it would crack more and I would have to deal with it but it has probably been 10 years since I patched that over and it.oozed for.a long time before that.
I have never given it much thought till now

I figured it would crack more and I would have to deal with it but it has probably been 10 years since I patched that over and it.oozed for.a long time before that.
I have never given it much thought till now
It's too easy to drive yourself nuts worrying about mechanical stuff that isn't a problem... and I'm sure you must have something around there that actually needs attention.:) As I recall you have another car for the abuse of horsepower... I'd leave it until it starts to leak again.

Not sure if we'll ever know. It's really bugging me because I had the rear out last winter. Replaced the leaky seal and axle bearings, U joints too. So naturally now I feel like I did something wrong. I've never had a problem before however..

My buddy read through the thread and thinks that without being able to inspect the remains that the output shaft simply failed. It isn't common but does happen and he said that the age and weight of the vehicle could have caused it. That being said his is just an opinion from the evidence in this thread. He also would rule out the universals for the lack of symptoms.

The sprag failure that I've seen is mostly to the main case and parts grenading thru the tunnel, so I'm not sold on that being the cause. Odd the tail shaft housing is destroyed here.
View attachment 140282 View attachment 140283

Dayum! Dave. . . That's really ugly. Glad you're ok, and the car wasn't trashed. Hope you find the cause of this mayhem.

When was the last time you checked the txsm fluid level? Jeff brought up a good point where the case appears to have been cracked for a long time. The txsm fluid could of leaked out and lack of lube and extreme heat buildup could of grenaded the txsm.

If it was even a quart low it wouldnt have moved.... Since they all leak due to age and lack of miles fluid was topped off every time theyre used

Not sure if we'll ever know. It's really bugging me because I had the rear out last winter. Replaced the leaky seal and axle bearings, U joints too. So naturally now I feel like I did something wrong. I've never had a problem before however..
If the car has put any miles on... and I know it has... don't blame yourself unless you find a a loose bolt in there. Given the circumstances, I would give the rear a thorough inspection to rule out any damages and to give yourself peace of mind that it was/wasn't the cause.

My thoughts tell me if it were the rear I would have had a moments notice before the mishap. This was a sudden loud bang then massive vibration until she stopped.
Not saying I won't look at the rear, with all the brain trusts here saying so I have to.
( which is why I posted)

My buddy Nate is interested in more and detailed pics including the disassembly process if you're the one to do it.

Not a chance will I be doing it but photos may be possible. I will try and revive the thread when this goes to the reassembly process

I gotta believe the output shaft failed. Question is why. I would plan to look at the rear end, and I'd expect the transmission to have big damage inside to. Without the tailhousing bushing the front section only has the rear support and the input shaft. I'd imagine there's problems inside the case now too.

Back