bought a pristine complete 1981 Imperial, may switch to carb

I have two 1978's....

Fixing the Lean Burn was easy......

s-l225.jpg

Fixing the next generation with Fuel Injection....

Not so easy......

I know exactly what Im going to do to fix the fuel system if it comes down to that. But, I still have some tinkering to do before I give up

I had never seen one of these EFI systems but does the FSM give the specs on the control pump? Pic's of the system would help a lot.

still munchin away I am...View attachment 127147I love to see this kind of troubleshooting...

Btw Stan, is that hoffa in a Bus Driver's hat?

I didnt see it in @cantflip's thread as an option. lol
Sorry, not a teamster... wouldn't want to disrespect another man's(woman's) uniform... (might not be true, depending on your view of the babushka)

I know exactly what Im going to do to fix the fuel system if it comes down to that. But, I still have some tinkering to do before I give up
Its been a while since your last update! Fill us in on what you have done and hopefully success! I still would take the support plate *** off your hands if you convert to carb

DSCN1954.JPG

Looks like he's given up....

1981 Chrysler Imperial
If I was close (thank heavens I'm not) I'd be there with a trailer and some cash, bring it home and swap on an intake and carb while getting the EFI redone. Then slapping it back together in stock form. Did I just say that out loud? This site has changed me...

If one just shitcanned the whole engine and started from scratch by dropping in a crate SB, are you going to lose the instrument displays? Sounds like they are pretty connected at the hip. The transmission, too.

If one just shitcanned the whole engine and started from scratch by dropping in a crate SB, are you going to lose the instrument displays? Sounds like they are pretty connected at the hip. The transmission, too.

No and no.

The dashboard (might) have some difference in recieving input from the fuel pump controller vs. simple fuel flow meter, but I even doubt that. In a conversion the only functions you lose are instant/average/dte fuel functions. The level display functions off a standard sending unit. You can even draw fuel through the in-tank pump. The rest of it is idiot lights and a mechanical speed sensor outputting to the digital display.

The trans is stand issue 999 lockup auto. No tie in to the EFI.

However, your propsal is akin to replacing the interior of your NYB with one from a Newport because power seats are just to "complimacated" to fix. You just killed a good portion of what made the car interesting.

Now if your NYB had a Tazmanian Devil locked inside it, and replacing the interior saved the car, I could accept the logic.

"complimacated" to fix. You just killed a good portion of what made the car interesting
Yes, I'll venture to say that this dumb truck driver could sort it out especially since he got it running which means the wiring and plumbing are not hopeless.

Yes, I'll venture to say that this dumb truck driver could sort it out especially since he got it running which means the wiring and plumbing are not hopeless.
The guy selling it seemed to have good troubleshooting skillz, I'm surprised he pulled the ripcord.

Although I often feel like pulling the cord myself!

BARF....BARF, BARF. I falsely had it in my head after watching Carmines video that that the Imp. in Tacoma waz White on White and then my head said $800 plus $1400 to get it to Wilmington, plus maybe $1500 to $2000 to change ah few thingz and stack an after market EFI on it, or maybe ah tad more. BUT NOT MAROON, EVEN WITH MY FAVORITE SNOW FLAKE WHEELZ UNDER IT. BARF, BARF..Ah well, like I've been sayin: THIS 'OLE BUTT ONLY FITZ ONE CHAIR AT AH TIME and I'm gettin' too old to slip-seat. So many carz, so little time? Jer

BARF....BARF, BARF. I falsely had it in my head after watching Carmines video that that the Imp. in Tacoma waz White on White and then my head said $800 plus $1400 to get it to Wilmington, plus maybe $1500 to $2000 to change ah few thingz and stack an after market EFI on it, or maybe ah tad more. BUT NOT MAROON, EVEN WITH MY FAVORITE SNOW FLAKE WHEELZ UNDER IT. BARF, BARF..Ah well, like I've been sayin: THIS 'OLE BUTT ONLY FITZ ONE CHAIR AT AH TIME and I'm gettin' too old to slip-seat. So many carz, so little time? Jer

Actually, I think only the hood is maroon. The rest looks brown. :rolleyes:

Back