Bought this 1974 Imperial LeBaron 4dr today

Nice looking Imperial you got there!
I was unaware they offered the underhood megaphone option in 1974, what code is that on the fender tag? :lol:

1656762757937.png

For a vehicle that has unobtainium or $$$$$$ brake rotors, it seems to make sense that brake frictions which degrade the rotors the least, while still offering OEM levels of stopping performance, tend to make sense. I highly suspect that asbestos pads will work well and still offer the needed fade resistance needed to stop the car, even in the mountains.

When semi-metallic pads came to prominence, one factor was the lighter cars of the earlier 1980s AND that the brake components were downsized according for a lighter total vehicle weight. Using more agressive frictions allowed for smaller pads than had previously been used at the OEM level of things. Similar pad friction materials were expanded as asbestos use in brake frictions was decreased for "health reasons", too. More recent s-m frictions have had their copper content decreased to allegedly decrease copper content in fresh water rivers (which are fished for sport and food), as I understand it.

IF the older OEM brake frictions would orchestrate wheel lockup on dry, high-friction roadways, which they usually would, then a tire upgrade would be in order for better stopping power and decreased stopping distances.

It should also be mentioned that the old high-metallic brake frictions (as came OEM on the 1961 Impala SS cars) had poor "first stop" performance as those high-metallic frictions needed a certain amount of HEAT for them to work at their best. On those Impala SS cars, many owners took the OEM brake shoes off and put normal shoes on them, just so they could stage the car at the drag strips, from what my late machine shop operative/drag racer mentioned to me. Yet, from a 100 mph police pursuit stop, those high-metallic brake shoes worked great (as evidenced in police car testing situation in 1955, when the Dodges went through the brake testing tests TWICE with very little performance loss, which impressed everybody as the brake drums were glowing red, Curtis Redgap at www.Allpar.com). BTAIM

Certainly the modern version of semi-metallic brake frictions have their places on vehicles, but their use on some older vehicles (with already-known brake rotor availability situations) might need to be considered by the owners of those vehicles. More-careful driving with the older OEM-spec brake frictions might result in those vehicles still being usable rather than parked, by observation.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

This is very interesting stuff. @69CoronetRT should see this and maybe he can tell us what the “Q” is in the VON.

Typically dealer demo/demonstrator of some sort.

Is there a picture of the fender tag?

Has anyone looked for the broadcast sheet?

Nice, never seen one before
I suspect the "factory alarm" is similar to the earlier unit from a few model years earlier. A Lee Trevino tv ad demonstrated it. Probably on YouTube now. Nothing close to modern car alarms, but still there and "advanced" for back then.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Back to my Imperial, LOL....

This is the inventory card from the Lynch Road lot. Looks like they added radial tires and an Automatic Height Control from a different 1975 car?

View attachment 541442

Good to see the sequence "040917" actually being called the "Build Date" in a contemporary document. That is, if it is identical with the MDH code on the door sticker.

In my virtual collection I've found two more fender tags for 1974 Imperials with "Q" in the VON. The second one even has "P42". These may help in deciphering the tag for the car under discussion.

74-167921-YM43T4C167921.JPG

74-175027-YM43T4C175027.jpeg

This blue one has the “Special handling“ tag too. May have went hand in hand with the Q VON.

Congratulations on the new ride! It's nice to finally see someone else with a blue 74. I'm the 2nd owner of mine. 34,000 original miles. My grandfather bought it in January of 74. I still have the original bill of sale and all of the other paperwork. When he passed away, he left it to me. This car means the world to me. Anyway, I hope you enjoy your new living room on wheels lol. Safe travels!

Screenshot_20200720-155157_Messages.jpg

Congratulations on the new ride! It's nice to finally see someone else with a blue 74. I'm the 2nd owner of mine. 34,000 original miles. My grandfather bought it in January of 74. I still have the original bill of sale and all of the other paperwork. When he passed away, he left it to me. This car means the world to me. Anyway, I hope you enjoy your new living room on wheels lol. Safe travels!

View attachment 541772
Nice. Love the fact that it came from your grandpa.

Back