Brake Booster Options

Shazbot

Reaction score
I have a buddy that is trying to get a 71 Newport on the road quickly.
(Winter beater challenge on Cold War Motors youtube channel)

He needs a new brake booster but none of the usual parts places can help him. Do any later years fit/work that might be more available?

We are both b-body guys and quickly learning about the parts situation you c-body guys suffer with.

I have a buddy that is trying to get a 71 Newport on the road quickly.
(Winter beater challenge on Cold War Motors youtube channel)

He needs a new brake booster but none of the usual parts places can help him. Do any later years fit/work that might be more available?

We are both b-body guys and quickly learning about the parts situation you c-body guys suffer with.
I saw that episode. Pretty cool

Does you friend have a Bendix dual diaphragm booster or the larger diameter single diaphragm, both of these were used with disc brakes in '71. Also used was the small diameter Bendix single diaphragm booster with drum brakes. None of these will be a stock item at you local parts house. Best bet would be to find a local brake shop and have it rebuilt. www.deweyboosterexchange.com does a really good job of repairing boosters but you would be looking at about a 4-5 week turn around.

Dave

Its a disc/drum car. Not sure which booster he has I'll have to ask. 4-5 weeks would be too long unfortunately for the contest was hoping there might be something that can be swapped easily.

You're not going to find anyone with a new or reman booster in stock for a C body.

In a pinch, any C body booster from 1965 to 1978 will bolt into his '71 and work good enough to get the car back on the road. Maybe you can find someone that has a good used one that you could buy or borrow.

If someone in your circle of friends has some fabrication skills, you can adapt any B body booster to work in a C body. You have to drill or slot out some holes in the firewall of the car and modify the brake pedal rod on the booster.

You might also be able to adapt a booster from a newer pickup or van, but then you would need to switch to a 2 bolt master cylinder. The diameter can't be to big, or it will hit the steering column and maybe the valve cover.

Jeff

This may be resolved since a month has passed.
Obviously you are talking about Myles. I have been watching his segments.
I was in need of a dual diaphragm bendix I belive unit on short notice and found that they could be bought on line or at parts store for a late 70's D150.
I needed to modify the mount but it was not a big deal. I just made a new plate and kept all my original parts and I just paid the core. I'd rather have my originals for the cost difference.
This was part of a disc swap and the large diameter 73 style booster will not work.

Myles better get a move on or he will be entering the spring beater challenge!

Well it's official, Myles took #1 in this years winter beater challenge and rightfully so. What a great effort in thrashing together a great car. I would actually look forward to winter if I was busting out with that Newport.

Back