Brake proportioning valve

Scott79

Reaction score
Any ideas on how to find a brake proportioning valve for a 68 Newport? Or do you recommend a good universal? It’s still drums all around.

Any ideas on how to find a brake proportioning valve for a 68 Newport? Or do you recommend a good universal? It’s still drums all around.

'68 does not have a proportioning valve, they use a brake warning valve. Among others www.inlinetube.com has them some of the time, if not try a google search for '68 mopar brake warning valve.

Dave

Last edited:
Proportioning valves were usually on disc/drum systems. OEM-production proportioning valves are around and in repro.

The master cyl bore diameter and the wheel cyl bore diameter, plus the different brake shoe widths were how the drum brake systems were "proportioned" f/r, usually.

Adjustable proportioning valves can be found in the Mopar Performance catalog, usually, and the similar Ford and Chevy Performance Parts catalogs, too. Probably other places too.

Happy Holidays,
CBODY67

This is what I pulled out of my 68. It looks like a proportioning valve to me. I put it in a hydraulic tester and it wasn’t exhausting out of the rear outlet port.

D4108E67-B872-45F6-8A92-E7543F8DB98A.jpeg

This is what I pulled out of my 68. It looks like a proportioning valve to me. I put it in a hydraulic tester and it wasn’t exhausting out of the rear outlet port.

View attachment 424772
That's a distribution block/safety switch and not a proportioning valve.

All it does is if you lose pressure on front or rear brakes, the pressure in the working side pushes a small piston up far enough to turn on a warning light. That, and provide a good place to split left to right, is all it does.

I suppose it could be gummed up and/or the piston could be stuck.

A cross section. I've never had one apart, but it looks like it could be taken apart easily. Also really not all that crazy expensive to replace.

131607.jpg

A good run down of proportioning valves here:

Proportioning valves were usually on disc/drum systems. OEM-production proportioning valves are around and in repro.

The master cyl bore diameter and the wheel cyl bore diameter, plus the different brake shoe widths were how the drum brake systems were "proportioned" f/r, usually.

Adjustable proportioning valves can be found in the Mopar Performance catalog, usually, and the similar Ford and Chevy Performance Parts catalogs, too. Probably other places too.

Happy Holidays,
CBODY67
Interesting...I always thought they were proportioning valves.. learn something every day! Just like newer ford oil pressure gauges are just off/on, they don't represent actual oil pressure!

The early brake fluid loss divider blocks can tend to look similar to the 1970+ GM proportioning valves which also have that fluid loss switch in them. But if it's a drum/drum system, the only thing there is to divide the f/r fluid and turn on the warning light when one end of the car looses brake pressure. No more, no less.

GM terms their proportioning valves that also have the fluid loss sensor in them as "Combination Valve". On disc/drum vehicles.

Happy Holidays!
CBODY67

I swear someone posted a "poor man's" dual master cylinder upgrade, using a simple distribution block, and people chimed in saying you'll need a proportioning valve, otherwise rears will lock up

I swear someone posted a "poor man's" dual master cylinder upgrade, using a simple distribution block, and people chimed in saying you'll need a proportioning valve, otherwise rears will lock up
Someone probably did, but that doesn't mean that you need to do it. Always done with good intention to help, we all occasionally give bad advice.

I've done a couple dual cylinder upgrades and never had any problems. I've used OE distribution/warning light blocks from later cars and an aftermarket blocks too.

Upgrading my single pot master in the F100 to a dual master plus a power booster. Everybody asks about a proportioning valve but in a Ford it is a distribution valve with the brake warning light when four wheel drums. Now in my upgrade, since it is damn near impossible to find a decent distribution valve I will be using a proportioning valve under the master which came in an assembly kit. So I can adjust the pressure down in the rear since more braking effort comes from the front anyway.
s-l161200.jpg

Upgrading my single pot master in the F100 to a dual master plus a power booster. Everybody asks about a proportioning valve but in a Ford it is a distribution valve with the brake warning light when four wheel drums. Now in my upgrade, since it is damn near impossible to find a decent distribution valve I will be using a proportioning valve under the master which came in an assembly kit. So I can adjust the pressure down in the rear since more braking effort comes from the front anyway.
View attachment 425400
Link, please. That setup looks great!

Link, please. That setup looks great!

Got off ebay after a fellow F100 forum member showed it to me. Saved it to my list and the next day the seller emailed me a new price at $81.62. Right now it is awaiting installation as I am dealing with the rod between my master and power booster being too short despite adjusting. So that comes first.

Yes, I saw GM and ignored it since the person who referred it was reliable.
GM Disc/ Drum Brake Proportioning Valve Distribution Block Kit + Bracket & Line | eBay

I'm a recent owner of a 66 Plymouth Fury that came with front disc and rear drum brakes with a SSBC proportioning valve (see attached pic). Since I am replacing the brake lines and all brake parts, I was curious if I should replace the proportioning valve. I have no clue if it works since I took the car out of commission a couple of days after buying it. Aside from leaving it installed and once I have everything connected, test it while making test runs with car, anyone have a suggestion as to how to test these on a bench? Blow thru it? :) Should I replace it and with what?

20220713_215744.jpg

20220713_215744~2.jpg

Back