Brake spring noise when applying brakes

darth_linux

Reaction score
When I apply the brakes I can hear the return springs stretching out. Is this common? Any way to reduce the noise if so? It sounds just like when your getting the springs installed after having everything apart.

Thanks!
[66 Newport]

I have never heard of that before. Are you talking about when it is all assembled, and you are in the car driving? Are you sure the springs are on correctly? I would double check everything. I would think that something is wrong if you can hear them from inside the car with the drums and wheels in place.

I have never heard of that before. Are you talking about when it is all assembled, and you are in the car driving? Are you sure the springs are on correctly? I would double check everything. I would think that something is wrong if you can hear them from inside the car with the drums and wheels in place.
Yes I can hear the springs actuate when I come to a stop. I did a visual inspection today and didn’t notice anything unusual, but I’ll take the springs off and put them back on again and make sure all of the lube points have grease. I’ve been servicing drum brakes on my cars for 30 years now and I’ve never heard them actuate until getting this Newport.

Strange,
I've had Mopars for over 50 years and have done lots of drum brakes in that time. I've never come across what you are experiencing. It has to be frustrating. Did you get new springs when you redid the brakes and did they match the old ones? Don't give up, you'll find it.

Strange,
I've had Mopars for over 50 years and have done lots of drum brakes in that time. I've never come across what you are experiencing. It has to be frustrating. Did you get new springs when you redid the brakes and did they match the old ones? Don't give up, you'll find it.
The PO put all new everything on before I bought the car. I just upgraded to a ‘67 Master Cylinder so I took all 4 drums off just to do a visual inspection and confirm that everything was new.

Can you post a picture of what the brakes look like with the drums removed. Maybe someone on here with the same car as you might see something.

Can you post a picture of what the brakes look like with the drums removed. Maybe someone on here with the same car as you might see something.

IMG_2465.jpeg

Might look for a picture in the FSM, or several FSMs online, to see if there might be some inapropriate contact going on. Usually, you can hear the brake shoes sliding on the contact tabs (which should have some appropriate lube applied when the shoes are installed, but little else. I could hear THAT happening with the drums on, but "normal" so I never worried about it. No "spring" noises per se.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Looks to me like the left return spring is hitting the adjuster cable guide. That could cause it.
It's a poorly lit photo taken at a poor angle, so it might look bad but actually be fine. I will pull everything apart and make sure it's done right. Thanks.

Back