Brake swap question

mopar Joe 65

Reaction score
Could someone tell me if I do a swap from manual to discs do I need to replace my swing pedal ? And also how hard would it be to find one ?

Could someone tell me if I do a swap from manual to discs do I need to replace my swing pedal ? And also how hard would it be to find one ?

The disc brake conversion would require a power assist. The manual brake pedal has a different geometry to get more pressure on the drive rod to the master cylinder. You will need a power brake pedal and mount assembly. All of the power brake systems whether disc or drums use the same brake pedal and mount. You would also want to upgrade to a dual pot disc brake master cylinder.
There are still a quite a few power brake cars in vintage wrecking yards so you should be able to find the pedal and mount assembly. The main problem is going to be finding the correct Bendix dual diaphragm booster. Disc brakes in '65-'66 were still pretty rare, on police cruisers only in '65.

Dave

Last edited:
As noted above, all the parts are fairly easily sourced by beating the bushes, EXCEPT for the hard to find Bendix Dual Diaphragm power booster. However, some inroads have been made into the question of whether the currently available B Body Disc booster that's in reproduction will work. Some say it will.

Last edited:
1970 Fury Convertible. I did the same conversion using a 1970 Sport Fury Parts car: manual drum to power disk. I did have to change the brake pedal. Also, booster, master cylinder, steering knuckles. Power brake pedal was taller in height than the manual pedal, but bracket for the power pedal to swing on was already present. I used a spacer plate and aluminum MC. The biggest pain was all the measurements it took to assure the spacer plate put the MC at the correct distance from the firewall, given the length of the pedal push-rod. Mancini sold the spacer, for 4-bolt MC to 2-bolt MC conversion.

Back