Break in oil?

furyus 67

Reaction score
Well, I went with the oil my buddy suggested. The buddy that helped me build my engine. I trust his judgement as I've seen him build several engines. He told me he broke his 440 in with brad penn 10-40. This was back in January . He tells me the other day that he's not sure if it was 10/40 or break on oil as he bought a lot of stuff including his oil from the same person. My question is will the pen 10-40 be sufficient for break in. I've already got 5 quarts in it. I'd planned on running for 15-20 minutes between 2000 and 3000 rpms then draining the oil and running 10-30 for 500 miles or so. I'd hate to waste the oil I've already got in it but if I have to, I have to.

I'd use it. The break in oil might have more zinc in it, but if you lubed the cam and lifters right, you'll be fine.

The lifters were soaked in trans fluid for 3 days, then when I installed everything I used cam assembly lube. Liberally!

Last edited:
I get a small break-in additive from my local parts house. It's made by Comp Cams. Then I can use whatever oil I want...just ad the additive. If your at all concerned just put some additive in it, you are not going to hurt anything by having having it in there.

10202817_com_159_pri_larg.jpg

Brad Penn is the good stuff, you'll be fine.

Back