Broken ignition part2 ... hear the sound...

Hansson72

Reaction score

Finaly i could drive the car to my home...
But now i found another issue and I have no clue how to get further...
I think the green plastic wheel is missing two teeth and thats why i can’t get i to go from P to N, any suggestion where I can get one? And also... where do I find the actual switch and how do I get to it.
57345AC4-D65D-4364-B0DE-1EE211C225EC.jpeg
042C75D1-5E32-49F4-B3BC-1BCE34C553BB.jpeg
6F109096-32A5-4B8C-9254-76EDF29347BD.jpeg
The switch I bought from rockauto is probably not the right one...or?
36165DA8-7749-4521-A633-6C0AC2E1AB27.jpeg

YES, that is the wrong ignition switch. Your car has a "Tilt" Column, and the one you ordered is for a "Non Tilt" column. The switch for a "Tilt" column is mounted outside on the shift tube, you will need to drop the column for access. Best is to remove the switch and try to turn the mechanism from the top. It was not uncommon for the switch to go bad, and lock up the rod.

Curious . . . how does that green gear on the incorrect ignition switch keep the shift linkage from going from P to N? Not aware of any interface between the ign switch and the shift linkage?

Just curious,
CBODY67

Curious . . . how does that green gear on the incorrect ignition switch keep the shift linkage from going from P to N? Not aware of any interface between the ign switch and the shift linkage?

Just curious,
CBODY67
The green gear moves the geared rod in and out when the key is turned. The rod corresponds to an opening in the shift bowl to lock the column in park.

The green gear moves the geared rod in and out when the key is turned. The rod corresponds to an opening in the shift bowl to lock the column in park.
Is the ignition switch located behind ”blue circle”? And how is the ignition switch activated. I cant understand how it all works....
8238757B-EA36-457F-9508-E80214D77B9B.jpeg

Is the ignition switch located behind ”blue circle”? And how is the ignition switch activated. I cant understand how it all works....
View attachment 452167
The ignition switch is mounted on the outside of the column, under the dash. You will have to remove the cover under the column, and the left A/C duct and then lower the column to access the switch. ON A TILT COLUMN THE IGNITION SWITCH IS NOT INSIDE THE COLUMN.

There are some on E bay right now under KEM brand, good stuff.

I found the switch and it works just fine. The bad boy in the drama is the green plastic wheel. The last tooth is broken and that made the plastic wheel jump out of bounce... the last tooth is engaging the starter through the rod. Anyone that know the accurate name of the plastic wheel and perhaps has one for sale.
E07F2ECF-C516-4B2B-BD4A-EC6B7157DA52.jpeg
5C8C4EDE-FED3-4895-8E61-99866825853C.jpeg

GM made the tilt columns for Chrysler. They used the same part into the 90's. I don't think it would be available from Chrysler anymore, but maybe GM, or a bone yard.

When I had to do the dimmer switch on my7 '80 Newport tilt column, as it didn't click any more, the outside of the column looked just like what we had in the middle '80s Caprices, so I thought "no big deal", but I bought the items from the Chrysler dealer we got parts from. I was familiar with the innards of the GM tilt columns as there were many that needed various parts, back then. When I got the parts from the Chrysler dealer, they looked nothing like what the GM parts were, although Saginaw Gear built both of them. Ended up having to replace more parts to make the new parts work (as in new turn signal stalk!) than suspected.

By observation, the Chrysler tilt columns had a smoooother feel as they did their work than the GM-spec columns did. Which pointed out that although GM/Saginaw might have built the column for Chrysler, they built them to Chrysler's specs rather than GM-use specs. In the case of "smoooothness", it could just have been a better quality grease for the ball bearings sets which supported the inner steering shaft, for example.

Even in the GM/Saginaw columns, there were several different styles of those sector gears, other than just "tilt or non-tilt", by observation. Including the number of teeth and whether or not there was an extended tube the ign key cyl indexed with. They were not all the same, although some were more common than others.

Glad you found one that works! Not sure how the approx $9.00 that those gears retailed for in the 1990s might equate to modern money, but key thing is that you found one that will work.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Back