Broken Torsion Bar...

Brakes, Suspension, Rims and Tires

1. cbarge

cbarge World Famous Barge in a Budget FCBO Gold Member

Is the bar really broken?? Could the frame around the t bar anchor be rotted out?
    Any other frt end damage when bar broke? Ball joints? Strut rods and/or bushings?
    Things to check before you buy.

• Like Like x 1
  2. mrfury68

mrfury68 Well-Known Member

Totally agree. I have seen rust where the torsion bars mount cause them to fail. Keep us posted on your progress. You know we like pictures. Good luck.

• Like Like x 2
  3. twostick

twostick Senior Member

If you come across a mechanic that has a 3 foot pry par in his box with a hex knob on one end and a 30ish degree taper on the other, it's a safe bet he did his training in 1957 and has been retired for many years.

Kevin

4. Kernel Sanders

Kernel Sanders Member

lol Funny you mention 76 Dart... I bought mine many years ago for $250 because it had a broken torsion bar and the old guy couldn't be bothered finding and paying for them to be replaced... I stuck a piece of hardwood between the lower control arm and frame and drove it to a buddy's place. While at my buddy's place one night, the other bar let go and he woke thinking it was a gunshot (shotgun) right outside his place and was pissed off but never seen anything. We had a good laugh when I noticed it and asked him if he heard anything.

• Like Like x 3
  5. 68PK21 440.6bbl

68PK21 440.6bbl Senior Member

I use to use a broken torsion bar to knock out the cat element on mid-70's Mopar Cats.
    Can't remember where I got it from as I've never had one break on any of my vehicles.

6. live4theking

live4theking Old Man with a Hat

Well, it's going to be a few weeks before I even get to look at it, if it happens.

• Like Like x 1