C Body 4 speed pedals??

I know the MB/PB pedals are different, pivot point and pedal position. In looking into converting mine to PB, (I never found a set or did), it looked like, regardless on which type, the rod from the master/booster would still connect. What is the effect of using a MB set with power or vice versa? Just curious at this point.

gotta love this site!
i have a 70 fury vert. and was pondering the thought of putting a bench seat pistol grip 4 speed w/od trans for cruzing. and yes the price is probably closer to 4-5k. in real world.

I forget what I paid for my 1st Newport 3 speed, less then $200 probably, from a buddy's back yard, his private stash. I'd been coveting it.

I was driving an '64 Valiant Signet, white, red interior, factory four speed, 225 /6 running through dual straight pipes - well ahead of the curve for the time - when I got the Newport, so I was quite adept at driving a stick around town, and also had fantasies of being an excellent quasi race car driver on the street and the Newport was an absolute animal.

It was a rainy afternoon, and after turning off of Leroy's street - same street as my buddy with Fury project lives on now - onto an arterial next to a golf course on the edge of town where you could open it up, the car just fishtailed endlessly in any gear, I'm guessing someone had ordered the Sure Grip, I've rarely had a car that would fishtail like that, really dangerous in traffic.

Driving cars like that help you survive life on the road later on in life, serves you well. 20 years later in the same neighborghood, while driving to work on glare ice in the early morning in my '65 W200 Power Wagon, I more than fishtailed but inadvertently did pirouettes in the middle of the road, eventually ending up backwards on the wrong side of the road but still alive to tell about it.

I know the MB/PB pedals are different, pivot point and pedal position. In looking into converting mine to PB, (I never found a set or did), it looked like, regardless on which type, the rod from the master/booster would still connect. What is the effect of using a MB set with power or vice versa? Just curious at this point.
This a good question, and there was a thread about how to convert them.
Maybe someone will remember it??

65 to 68 c body pedals are the same.
Long story short, you get a power brake pedal and mounting bracket from a auto trans car.
Next you swap the power brake bracket for the manual brake bracket. Its self explanatory when you have it on your bench. Plus the FSM shows pictures
Next you need to weld the top portion of the power brake pedal to the bottom portion of the manual brake pedal.
It's fairly easy to figure out were to do the cut. The tricky part is welding the pedals together so the lower part of the pedal is in proper location
The manual brake pedal rests even with the clutch pedal. The power brake pedal rests closer to the firewall by aprox 1 inch.
In a perfect world you would install the brackets in the car with the brake plunger in place, and then tack weld the brake pedal.were you want it. Then remove everything and weld it.
I'm not real smart and I didn't have a lot of trouble figuring it out.

Fussy pedals are converted in same way.

Last edited:
'65-'68 Slab pedals; note the pedal pivots are on 2 different plains meaning this is for power brakes:

View attachment 562024

'69-'71 Fusy pedals; note the pedal pivots are on the same plain meaning this is for manual brakes:

View attachment 562025

Power brake Fusy clutch pedals are a unicorn. I have only ever seen one car supposedly equipped as such and it was in Europe.
Awesome pictures. Thanks!

1665372311847.jpeg

1665372346448.jpeg

If you use a power pedal on a manual brake setup you'll have very hard pedal and you'll not get enough pressure, very poor performance. Never done the opposite but presumably you'd be putting your teeth in the steering wheel all the time

I inadvertantly put a power booster on MB pedals in my 4-speed car back in 1992 or so.
Had to grind the pedal bracket a little for the snout of the booster to fit in. Not much. Should've been a good clue, but I was young and was installing a 71 booster into a 65 car, so figured it was part of the deal. I was doing a disc-brake conversion and there was no internet to consult.

Results:
Brake pedal felt mushy, like the brakes need bled, but 5-6 bleedings over weeks made no difference.
The car stopped better than my sister's 91 Camaro.
Due to the longer travel of the MB pedal, control was actually pretty good, not touchy at all.
You could do a panic stop with an egg under your foot if you wanted.

I consulted numerous brake shops and 'experts', told them teh whole story (including the manual conversion to power) and not a single person diagnosed the problem.
I learned the error about 15 years later. (didn't drive the car much, I was buying selling other cars and it was always sitting as a project car.)

C body clutch/brake pedals rare?

My st C body was a '63 ish 4 door Newport with 361, 3 speed stick on the floor, no power steering or brakes, just power to the rear wheels.

Sadly, it was stolen, crushed, but not before having the engine/trans cut out with a torch, I actually recovered the engine and trans. The tough part was that a "friend" of mine stole it. We were out partying, he was passed out and I left him in the car. He woke up, keys were in the ignition... he started it and left, and then sold it to the guy who cut the engine out of it.

I found another same car years later in the paper, $375, dropped everything, went to look at it and bought it. This is that one.

View attachment 561899View attachment 561900

Manual windows, radio delete, totally stripped down model. You can see the factory shifter hugging the seat in 2nd gear. Toughest 4 dr car I've ever seen, red light bandit, total sleeper. I always wondered if GM/Ford offered stickshift equivalents in their bigger platforms lower end offerings?

Can you image a Caddy with stick on the floor from the factory?

I think not.
That’s wild, my buddy bought an identical 63 Newport 361/3spd in the mid-late 90’s, same color and all. He sat on it for 5 or 6 years and then scrapped it. He pulled the motor/trans and hauled it off. I saw it on the trailer heading to the wrecking yard. He didn’t tell me he was doing it, or I would have got the pedals linkage and steering column out of it. I did end up with the motor/trans which ended up going to Sweden I think it was.
Travis..

Back