C-Body Wheel and Tire Survey

Which wheels and tires do you like on C-Bodies?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

amazinblue82

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I joined FCBO to understand some of the comments made about the wheel/tire choice on one of MY cars. It was fine .. it wasn't contentious, I wasn't defensive, but people had various opinions, pro and con.

Since then, I have seen many observations here about wheel/tire choices seen on C-bodies. Most recently, it was this one (not mine) that just sold - some folks preferred OEM style whitewalls, some folks liked it "as-is", etc.:

2-1.jpg

So, here's a survey question: Which wheels and tires do you like on C-bodies?

Even if you don't post anything, please try to take time to vote?

Survey will run for TWO months (or until it fizzles out, whichever is sooner), you get to vote on one, two, or three responses out of the four choices, you can change your votes later, and the survey result percentages will be public.

The last survey choice is intended to indicate "people will do whatever they want -- their car, their money -- so I might like it, I might not".

I tried to keep it simple and short. I didn't eliminate the "slammed cars" (I like some of 'em), the "donks" (I wouldn't do that) or "monster truck wheels/tires" (I wouldn't do that) for example .. somebody might like those looks and they can vote accordingly.

Feel free to post pics of things you like, or things you wouldn't do .. but can we please refrain from any NEGATIVE PERSONAL comments (e.g., "that car is stupid and so is its owner") that aren't really needed to make our opinions known? This is intended to be informative and interesting.

If folks participate, I think I know how this will turn out. I have written down the percentages I think we'll see .. but I could be surprised. :)

Last edited:
I voted for factory/factory and "any" because there are exceptions.

Generally luxury cars came of this era with w/w tires. Of course there were (and should be) exceptions for the sportier offerings. But a 3x black '73 NYB looks silly as a NASCAR stocker.

Would white letters look OK on a '69 300, which has a lot of the same parts but a different vibe? Obviously I thought they did...

69300ft-rr-1.jpg

In the C-body specific world, I don't think you should run white letters on any Formal. Sporty Fuseys and Slabs can, but not NY'ers. Newports can go either way. Only police cars and people trying for the moonshiner-look should run blackwalls on Ply/Dodge C's.

Another exception would be 14" tires on C's which I think were an engineering mistake. I'd run a set for show use, but for serious driving I'd want at least 15" tires. That means some era-appropriate aftermarket rims are OK because you can't run road wheels on everything, so give me 17" torque thrusts on a '66 300 and I'm good with it. I am also OK with spinning 15" 60 series white letter tires into whitewalls, which I have done several times. I like a big footprint for the control aspect.

I guess it's like a woman knowing when she should wear a two-piece. There is no stock answer, but you know when it looks wrong.

Geez .. what goof-ball did this? (easy before you all agree and hurt my feelings again .. this is MY car :) )

IMG_6105.JPG
IMG_6084.JPG
IMG_6085.JPG

Last edited:
That falls into my Newport grey-area. Blackwalls would also be acceptable. Whitewalls not with those rims. Whitewalls with hubcaps or road wheels, OK.

guess I wont show you what i have done since ... same setup, OEM road wheel centers.

I have always been a fan of the factory wheels with white wall tires. The wheel does not have to have been an option for that year, but a factory option. Right now I have factory locking wire wheel covers on my 66 300 but I could always change to road wheels.

these look like 20's at least .. biggest I would do is 20 .. but one of my C's "felt funny" when I did 18's on it..

00-1-1.jpg
00-1-2.jpg

Last edited:
101_0439.jpg

I installed these pitted Cragars w/ww to sell the car so I could keep the road wheels. I imagine that was some kind of sin. Oh well, it was headed for derby before I bought it.

101_0449.jpg

101_0439.jpg

I installed these pitted Cragars w/ww to sell the car so I could keep the road wheels. I imagine that was some kind of sin. Oh well, it was headed for derby before I bought it.

101_0449.jpg

I generally don't do SS's with whitewalls, or blackwalls ... just the whiteletter variants. i got nothing against other looks.

i am solidly in the category of people do what they want .. their money, their car :)

i'da kept the roadwheels too...

I generally don't do SS's with whitewalls, or blackwalls ... just the whiteletter variants. i got nothing against other looks.

i am solidly in the category of people do what they want .. their money, their car :)

i'da kept the roadwheels too...

I think the ww were already there when I bought the rims on CL. But I would have done ww or bw if given an option before RWL. :steering:

... Sporty Fuseys and Slabs can, but not NY'ers. Newports can go either way. ... There is no stock answer, but you know when it looks wrong.

I agree for the most part, but don't differentiate between models. My split is 2 dr and convertibles vs. 4 dr cars in the ability to carry off the white letter look.

There are "era fitting" boundaries that I'll not cross (anymore. See 68 Monaco w/ m body service rims and dog dishes). For example, a magnum 500 on a slab works for me but not on a fusie. Similarly, a road wheel a fusie but not on a slab. I can't understand why one would put anything, factory or not from the 80's on up on any c body.... CERTAINLY not big ole flashy 4' diameter wall mirrors....
That said, to each his own... just don't ask me to pay an extra 10 grand for your car when you find out it rides like **** because of your wheel choices.

I have done RWL/OWL with factory wheel covers (on 15x8 steel wheels) before (on stroked 440 "sleeper" 76 monaco). I was good with it .. some folks hassled me over it -- until i took them for a ride. :)

00-1-1.jpg

Back