California Governor signs order to ban gas vehicles by 2035

Thanks for reinforcing my point - since diesels are significantly more efficient than gasoline vehicles, they emit less CO2, which is the pollutant that is key in man made global warming. So Mercedes was just too avid to fix the global warming problem by keeping diesels in thier mix when they couldn't meet smog forming emission rules with them. Gasoline vehicles emit more CO2 emissions than diesels but diesels emit more smog forming emissions (e.g. HC, CO and NOx) than gasoline vehicles and diesels are much harder to control in terms of smog forming emissions.

Maybe if you check your facts before going to your keyboard, you would know the difference.

You don't really know much about global warming apparently but you say you are in the trenches building wind generators and know all about the economics and viability of those machines, the kinds of discussions that take place in engineering meetings and boardrooms, which I doubt you frequent.

You also make a lot uninformed posts relative to fusie vehicles on the site too for which we routinely call you out.
Wow you are so right. Mercedes cheats on emissions and that proves your point because they care too much to be honest???

CARBs big problem with diesels is particulate emissions LoL!!!

You assume I’ve never met with government officials, engineers and the project managers. You also assume I’m a lowly mechanic (your opinion not mine), and they/we don’t understand the first thing about “science”. Thanks for letting us know how you really feel about us dumb guys in the trenches.

I also make a lot of uniformed post relative to fusie vehicles. I’m crushed that you disapprove. Wow resulting to insults sure makes your point. You have no business telling people how to live. That’s all I’ve been saying.

You say I hate California that’s just stupid. I’ve been enjoying the fewer and fewer unruined spots my whole life. I’ve never done anything except dare to complain about how the state has been run to ruin by one party rule. Now like locusts after ravaging a field, your green buddies are fleeing to other states to destroy them too. I have a great job. I can leave anytime I decide. I think the place is still worth saving. The only thing that needs to change are the corrupt idiots running the state and the minds of the dupes that keep voting them in.

Leading to a mass exodus into neighboring states, I'm looking at you Arizona, Nevada, Oregon, etc.-keep your eyes open. Whereby they can then impact those states ala what is happening in my home state in regards to our "oh-so-friendly-neighbors" to the south. Don't move to another state only to say "You guys should do things the way we do them in my previous state". Somewhat akin to immigrants-legal or otherwise-flocking to this beautiful country doing and saying the same thing.
Transplants from CA are coming to Texas and bringing their liberal politics and voting for the same Democrats that made them want to leave CA, Doesn’t make any sense :/

Wow you are so right. Mercedes cheats on emissions and that proves your point because they care too much to be honest???

CARBs big problem with diesels is particulate emissions LoL!!!

You assume I’ve never met with government officials, engineers and the project managers. You also assume I’m a lowly mechanic (your opinion not mine), and they/we don’t understand the first thing about “science”. Thanks for letting us know how you really feel about us dumb guys in the trenches.

I also make a lot of uniformed post relative to fusie vehicles. I’m crushed that you disapprove. Wow resulting to insults sure makes your point. You have no business telling people how to live. That’s all I’ve been saying.

You say I hate California that’s just stupid. I’ve been enjoying the fewer and fewer unruined spots my whole life. I’ve never done anything except dare to complain about how the state has been run to ruin by one party rule. Now like locusts after ravaging a field, your green buddies are fleeing to other states to destroy them too. I have a great job. I can leave anytime I decide. I think the place is still worth saving. The only thing that needs to change are the corrupt idiots running the state and the minds of the dupes that keep voting them in.

Yep, everything I said about CO2 went right over your head and you got it all wrong again. And by the way, diesels have big problems with not only particulate, they also have big problems with controlling NOx. But they are good at producing low amouts of CO2.

YOU said YOU work in the trenches, so do you attend engineering meetings and Board Hearings to understand all the issues associated with the costs, benefits and so on relative to wind generators (folks in those meetings don't generally describe themselves as in the "trenches")? Yes or NO? If not, I just wanted to know why you think you are smarter than the guys who are doing the project management? You seem insecure...............since you end up trying to put words in my mouth to save yourself and denigrate me.

At least you don't deny you make a lot of incorrect statements in your C body posts relative to our cars.............why doesn't it bother you to not check your "facts" to be sure they are correct before posting incorrect information and not waste our time trying to correct you so often.............

Given your comments in the current post and also in the thread referenced below, just what is it that you like about California since you hate everyone who runs the state, you hate the gas prices, you hate the roads, you hate the wind generators, etc. I guess you like the scenery, the climate and the flowers and maybe the mountains?

Super Bloom !!! Look what I found out in the flowers...

All you do is make loose canon statements with little if anything to back them up and try to insult folks. Why not run for governor and see how far you get since you are so much smarter that Newsom and pretty much everyone else?

Over and out...................

Last edited:
America is about freedom of choice and capitalism.
Build whatever you think people want and keep the profits to make it all worth your while.
California liberals keep voting for Democrats and can't figure out why their taxes and cost of living are so high.
Every Democrat run state has the same problem, why is that?
They want to dictate and control everything, nanny states.
That is not freedom of choice.
Bottom line, if we want electric vehicles, that's fine.
But if I don't, then don't use the government to force them down my throat.
That keeps America Great!
Freedom of Choice!
I choose my 1968 Chrysler 300 gas guzzler.
Make an electric car that cool, I'll think about it.

Yep, everything I said about CO2 went right over your head and you got it all wrong again. And by the way, diesels have big problems with not only particulate, they also have big problems with controlling NOx. But they are good at producing low amouts of CO2.

YOU said YOU work in the trenches, so do you attend engineering meetings and Board Hearings to understand all the issues associated with the costs, benefits and so on relative to wind generators (folks in those meetings don't generally describe themselves as in the "trenches")? Yes or NO? If not, I just wanted to know why you think you are smarter than the guys who are doing the project management? You seem insecure...............since you end up trying to put words in my mouth to save yourself and denigrate me.

At least you don't deny you make a lot of incorrect statements in your C body posts relative to our cars.............why doesn't it bother you to not check your "facts" to be sure they are correct before posting incorrect information and not waste our time trying to correct you so often.............

Given your comments in the current post and also in the thread referenced below, just what is it that you like about California since you hate everyone who runs the state, you hate the gas prices, you hate the roads, you hate the wind generators, etc. I guess you like the scenery, the climate and the flowers and maybe the mountains?

Super Bloom !!! Look what I found out in the flowers...

All you do is make loose canon statements with little if anything to back them up and try to insult folks. Why not run for governor and see how far you get since you are so much smarter that Newsom and pretty much everyone else?

Over and out...................

Yah I have to meet with engineers, Company owners, the government and the guys who install. I set up air board invites for our customers to go to and attend them. I help get customers to tier 3 interim or tier 4 final with their fleets. I repower equipment to bring them into compliance. Funny when I do this I work with millionaire fleet owners in the offices and the equipment guys out in the dirt. I work with them to attain doors compliance or California puts them out of business. Diesel is all about after treatment and sorry but that’s mostly diesel particulate filters and after treatment. These contraptions burn up the particulate matter. The filters produce ash when full and that is kept out of the air. Meeting these standards has cost a lot of people their jobs. All our effort working tirelessly to meet the crazy goals seemed wasted as we watched others buy flex credits so they could continue sell their dirty machines for 20 to 30% cheaper than ours. They bought their credits from the government. How does that help anybody if we are serious about meeting these goals. We are in a much better position now than they are but it cost us dearly. They’re scrambling now to get to where we already are with clean emissions.

I never said I know everything about C bodies but I’m glad to know if I’m ever mistaken about anything there’s a prick like you out there to make fun of me.

PS my dog is smarter than newsom.

Yah I have to meet with engineers, Company owners, the government and the guys who install. I set up air board invites for our customers to go to and attend them. I help get customers to tier 3 interim or tier 4 final with their fleets. I repower equipment to bring them into compliance. Funny when I do this I work with millionaire fleet owners in the offices and the equipment guys out in the dirt. I work with them to attain doors compliance or California puts them out of business. Diesel is all about after treatment and sorry but that’s mostly diesel particulate filters and after treatment. These contraptions burn up the particulate matter. The filters produce ash when full and that is kept out of the air. Meeting these standards has cost a lot of people their jobs. All our effort working tirelessly to meet the crazy goals seemed wasted as we watched others buy flex credits so they could continue sell their dirty machines for 20 to 30% cheaper than ours. They bought their credits from the government. How does that help anybody if we are serious about meeting these goals. We are in a much better position now than they are but it cost us dearly. They’re scrambling now to get to where we already are with clean emissions.

I never said I know everything about C bodies but I’m glad to know if I’m ever mistaken about anything there’s a prick like you out there to make fun of me.

PS my dog is smarter than newsom.

Thanks for making your background much more clear and that was just what I wanted to know - just what you actually do.

I personally have felt that any retrofit diesel aftertreatment systems are a mess and would be very hard to get to work properly for any length of time. If I had realized you were in the business you are in, I would feel very much the same way as you do. Vehicles, especially diesels, have to be developed as a system from new and trying to put retrofit "one fits all" systems on diesels down the road is nothing but a fiasco. And diesels are the very hardest engines to control. If you start the regeneration of accumulated soot too early, the filters will eventually clog up and if you start it too late, the fire inside will run away and melt/destroy the filter substrate - a very delicate balance and the timing has to right - trying to get it right given the various duty cycles of vehicle operation will make that decision point a big guess at best much of the time.

I would just be glad you don't have to deal with NOx adsorber retrofit systems (I hope) and they too would be a big mess in a retrofit program - I don't think requirements will ever be put in place for those as retrofit system (they are the systems that use diesel DEF fluid (or also called adblue urea or cow piss). Even new vehicle manufacturers have had a lot of trouble getting both the PM filters and NOx adsorbers well-developed but these days they are becoming much more reliable on new diesel vehicles.

Maybe I will see you around in Southern California sometime and we can talk about it but I am certain we will both be on the same page regarding diesel retrofit programs.

You don't need to call me or anyone names - it never helps and it is immature. Usually I find that most of the time I can get along well with just about anyone if we can sit down and talk and understand where we are each coming from. I was not making fun of you and that was not my intent - I just wanted some background as to where you are actually coming from and why you make such "sure of yourself" brash, harsh statements about matters and what your real experince is to back it all up. A little humility also goes a long way in this world has been my experience and improves your credibility.

I personally do not believe Newsom is all that bad given everything he has to deal with and compared to other governors no matter what state. It too is a tough job.

Just one last question, how does your job tie in directly with wind generators themselves or is your job involved mostly with the need for back up CAT systems for them for some reason (maybe the heavy equipment is used to install/erect them probably)?

Last edited:
Thanks for making your background much more clear and that was just what I wanted to know - just what you actually do.

I personally have felt that any retrofit diesel aftertreatment systems are a mess and would be very hard to get to work properly for any length of time. If I had realized you were in the business you are in, I would feel very much the same way as you do. Vehicles, especially diesels, have to be developed as a system from new and trying to put retrofit "one fits all" systems on diesels down the road is nothing but a fiasco. And diesels are the very hardest engines to control. If you start the regeneration of accumulated soot too early, the filters will eventually clog up and if you start it too late, the fire inside will run away and melt/destroy the filter substrate - a very delicate balance and the timing has to right - trying to get it right given the various duty cycles of vehicle operation will make that decision point a big guess at best much of the time.

I would just be glad you don't have to deal with NOx adsorber retrofit systems (I hope) and they too would be a big mess in a retrofit program - I don't think requirements will ever be put in place for those as retrofit system (they are the systems that use diesel DEF fluid (or also called adblue urea or cow piss). Even new vehicle manufacturers have had a lot of trouble getting both the PM filters and NOx adsorbers well-developed but these days they are becoming much more reliable on new diesel vehicles.

Maybe I will see you around in Southern California sometime and we can talk about it but I am certain we will both be on the same page regarding diesel retrofit programs.

You don't need to call me or anyone names - it never helps and it is immature. Usually I find that most of the time I can get along well with just about anyone if we can sit down and talk and understand where we are each coming from. I was not making fun of you and that was not my intent - I just wanted some background as to where you are actually coming from and why you make such "sure of yourself" brash, harsh statements about matters and what your real experince is to back it all up. A little humility also goes a long way in this world has been my experience and improves your credibility.

I personally do not believe Newsom is all that bad given everything he has to deal with and compared to other governors no matter what state. It too is a tough job.

Just one last question, how does your job tie in directly with wind generators themselves or is your job involved mostly with the need for back up CAT systems for them for some reason (maybe the heavy equipment is used to install/erect them probably)?
You’re right there is no need to resort to name calling but it sure seemed like I was being personally insulted about my 40 plus years experience with Chryslers or lack there of. If that was not your intent then I apologize with no strings attached. Nobody deserves to be made fun of or called out for lack of Chrysler knowledge on this site. It kinda defeats the purpose of its existence.

We actually go to the project sites as often as needed. Mud sun wind and rain 5am safety meetings the whole enchilada. I have about 5 old gate tags still on my rear view mirror as souvenirs. We are onsite so often and at such varied times they give us these to let you bypass the guard shack.
We’ve helped put up miles of solar and hundreds of the huge turbines. I also work at places that use geo thermal I am not at liberty to discuss. We help with everything from small back up power generation to the huge basement set ups in hospitals, which under current regs is difficult at best. The only way we can help our customers is to be intimately involved with the scope of the job from a green site to finish. We work with most of the huge wind turbine companies and support them throughout their projects. The holder of the Government contract is seldom the company that constructs them. This is from nothing to the roads then the power grid then grooming sites for the pillboxes. The towers bolt onto pillboxes buried in the ground about the size of a D6 Dozer. Part of this Job includes meeting with the project engineers and when we are lucky we get to meet with the machine engineers as they do visit the jobs from time to time. I am not an expert in the wind turbines by any means but I do have over 15 years of meeting with them. They are very forthright with the information that they depend on government assistance to put them up and some types will never really pay for themselves. That comes from them not me and I’ve never felt they had any reason to lie to us. I remember something about them telling us about a huge (German?) company overseas dumping their turbine division when it looked like Romney might win. We thought that was silly because a Republican or Democrat administration wasn’t going to stop the wind projects. The fallout from the press would’ve been too bad. Trump didn’t pull the plug either the projects are mostly held up now by the virus. We were on track to throw up about 300 more before the shutdown. Hope that sheds a little light on where I’m coming from.

301245910ff77698b14a1b6901554c075fc74b7c.jpg

You’re right there is no need to resort to name calling but it sure seemed like I was being personally insulted about my 40 plus years experience with Chryslers or lack there of. If that was not your intent then I apologize with no strings attached. Nobody deserves to be made fun of or called out for lack of Chrysler knowledge on this site. It kinda defeats the purpose of its existence.

We actually go to the project sites as often as needed. Mud sun wind and rain 5am safety meetings the whole enchilada. I have about 5 old gate tags still on my rear view mirror as souvenirs. We are onsite so often and at such varied times they give us these to let you bypass the guard shack.
We’ve helped put up miles of solar and hundreds of the huge turbines. I also work at places that use geo thermal I am not at liberty to discuss. We help with everything from small back up power generation to the huge basement set ups in hospitals, which under current regs is difficult at best. The only way we can help our customers is to be intimately involved with the scope of the job from a green site to finish. We work with most of the huge wind turbine companies and support them throughout their projects. The holder of the Government contract is seldom the company that constructs them. This is from nothing to the roads then the power grid then grooming sites for the pillboxes. The towers bolt onto pillboxes buried in the ground about the size of a D6 Dozer. Part of this Job includes meeting with the project engineers and when we are lucky we get to meet with the machine engineers as they do visit the jobs from time to time. I am not an expert in the wind turbines by any means but I do have over 15 years of meeting with them. They are very forthright with the information that they depend on government assistance to put them up and some types will never really pay for themselves. That comes from them not me and I’ve never felt they had any reason to lie to us. I remember something about them telling us about a huge (German?) company overseas dumping their turbine division when it looked like Romney might win. We thought that was silly because a Republican or Democrat administration wasn’t going to stop the wind projects. The fallout from the press would’ve been too bad. Trump didn’t pull the plug either the projects are mostly held up now by the virus. We were on track to throw up about 300 more before the shutdown. Hope that sheds a little light on where I’m coming from.

Yes, that is very clear now and I appreciate the insight and knowing where your information comes from - it does seem like unfiltered info straight from some of the engineers that know the financial side of things too.

What I was trying to say regarding your 40 years of experience with Chrysler products was that sometimes you surprisingly state something that isn't correct as if it is utterly reliable, when it isn't. I was just suggesting that checking to be sure you are correct helps keep the confusion down. I know I more often than I expect sometimes go to answer a question and am pretty sure I am correct if I state it in a post, but then I think to myself, maybe I should just check that "fact" to be really sure I am correct and not forgetting something - and often I find that if I had posted that "fact", I would have been wrong. That was the gist of my suggestion, nothing more than that. I do not want to demean you.

What is your age if you don't mind answering and how long have you been in the business of erecting the wind turbines? I can see why you like your job as it seems to vary quite a bit so things don't get dull.

Last edited:
Wow! We seem to have an expert on everything! Government, mental health, science, everything!
I have a challenge for the global warming/ man made climate change believers.

Prove with observed scientific data that GW/MMCC is, in fact, man made.
You can't do it.

Yes, that is very clear now and I appreciate the insight and knowing where your information comes from - it does seem like unfiltered info straight from some of the engineers that know the financial side of things too.

What I was trying to say regarding your 40 years of experience with Chrysler products was that sometimes you surprisingly state something that isn't correct as if it is utterly reliable, when it isn't. I was just suggesting that checking to be sure you are correct helps keep the confusion down. I know I more often than I expect sometimes go to answer a question and am pretty sure I am correct if I state it in a post, but then I think to myself, maybe I should just check that "fact" to be really sure I am correct and not forgetting something - and often I find that if I had posted that "fact", I would have been wrong. That was the gist of my suggestion, nothing more than that. I do not want to demean you.

What is your age if you don't mind answering and how long have you been in the business of erecting the wind turbines? I can see why you like your job as it seems to vary quite a bit so things don't get dull.

10-4. I’ll try to do better with my home spun repairs. My Dad’s family owned a Texaco for many years and besides regular repair & maintenance they specialized in “grapes of wrath” type of repairs when no one else would help a poor stranded traveler. My dad told us how they’d let people work off their bill rather than turn them away. And if you could only afford (not willing to or just couldn’t work for some reason) to pull a rod and push the piston out of the way in your model T block well they’d do that too. Only thing they absolutely would not do is install snow chains you didn’t buy from them.

Snow chains for sale, installed $3. Install your personal snow chains $3.50.

Here is my first real car I’m about 18 and this is 1982 or 83ish so you can do the math. It was a real AAR 4spd with 391s. My buddy’s mom thought that would make a funny picture.

My first car I bought at 14 with 4H money I saved up over the years.
$350 for a car with no radiator no transmission no brakes no windshield no paint and no upholstery. It took about a year or so to rebuild it on a pay as you go & learn as you go plan.

I’ve owned cudas chargers roadrunners darts fury’s polaras lots of brand X iron and a Shelby Charger. My daily drivers have always been older than 1972 except for a couple of short lived newer cars, the Shelby and a Mustang convertible. My wife’s cars are the new ones with AC. She’s always loved old cars because of her Dad a WW2 vet and his good friend Frannie Becker. He was a big forward look and C body collector in Arizona you may have heard of. Chrysler used to get pics of his collection for some museum stuff they were doing back east. Coolest car I almost purchased was the duster 1 showcar in the 80’s at Scottsdale Air Park. I was 2 grand short of the $10k asking price. He would not budge so we bought 8 grand worth of NOS parts instead. The One that got away LoL!!! We also passed on a fuzzy flocked tv bat mobile ($10k) and could not afford the $65k asking price of the Dodge Diamante. He owned some cool cars and was dumping them to take care of his sick child. I can tell you that the Diamanté’s hidden headlights pop up at exactly 98 mph with a startling huge bang.

Most of the wind jobs I’ve been involved with are the Tehachapi, Mojave & jawbone canyon areas. Solar jobs all over creation, warren buffet’s was the largest we ever worked on. They try to use abandoned farmland because there is little environmental impact as it’s not virgin desert. We’ve done some crazy stuff for the military and we even pulled 6 1950’s diesel generator engines out of Reagan’s decommissioned bunker and replaced them all with just one 3512 CAT engine. Those all went to a museum in the Midwest. Most of the bomb shelters and Nike missle sites in California now belong to AT&T. I was told that bunker was last used by Bush during 9/11. That may or may not be true. It’s important because it used to be the only continuous buried landline from the west coast to DC. That fall out bunker is hiding in plain sight on the 58 by the Kia proving grounds outside Cal City. Looks like a closed down rest stop.

Here is a replacement engine for a repower. You can see how challenging or frustrating it is to redesign an older machine’s engine bay and doghouse to make it fit. The after treatment on top is almost as big as the engine and it generates a ton of heat. Most shade tree repowers don’t take that into account and if you don’t revamp the cooling package you’re eventually done for.

Hope that fills in the blanks. - Ed

27E21E27-65E3-44B8-B28C-F68154EF19B2.jpeg

7F00CF7C-8356-4B3C-B988-99A3194C921E.jpeg

9F4CC199-2330-476A-BF12-00D8ABA16D06.jpeg

7B15979D-E844-43F1-9BCE-B7A5C1A46878.jpeg

1CD9732B-1977-42F0-9D43-DF990B34130F.jpeg

D5FE9096-11B1-4594-8EDC-5A11AAF5505D.jpeg

E1E730FA-5D85-43F6-B08A-A505037B4AF6.jpeg

D08C733C-CC96-46B2-A193-C82CD2F37DD3.jpeg

Last edited:
10-4. I’ll try to do better with my home spun repairs. My Dad’s family owned a Texaco for many years and besides regular repair & maintenance they specialized in “grapes of wrath” type of repairs when no one else would help a poor stranded traveler. My dad told us how they’d let people work off their bill rather than turn them away. And if you could only afford (not willing to or just couldn’t work for some reason) to pull a rod and push the piston out of the way in your model T block well they’d do that too. Only thing they absolutely would not do is install snow chains you didn’t buy from them.

Snow chains for sale, installed $3. Install your personal snow chains $3.50.

Here is my first real car I’m about 18 and this is 1982 or 83ish so you can do the math. It was a real AAR 4spd with 391s. My buddy’s mom thought that would make a funny picture.

My first car I bought at 14 with 4H money I saved up over the years.
$350 for a car with no radiator no transmission no brakes no windshield no paint and no upholstery. It took about a year or so to rebuild it on a pay as you go & learn as you go plan.

I’ve owned cudas chargers roadrunners darts fury’s polaras lots of brand X iron and a Shelby Charger. My daily drivers have always been older than 1972 except for a couple of short lived newer cars, the Shelby and a Mustang convertible. My wife’s cars are the new ones with AC. She’s always loved old cars because of her Dad a WW2 vet and his good friend Frannie Becker. He was a big forward look and C body collector in Arizona you may have heard of. Chrysler used to get pics of his collection for some museum stuff they were doing back east. Coolest car I almost purchased was the duster 1 showcar in the 80’s at Scottsdale Air Park. I was 2 grand short of the $10k asking price. He would not budge so we bought 8 grand worth of NOS parts instead. The One that got away LoL!!! We also passed on a fuzzy flocked tv bat mobile ($10k) and could not afford the $65k asking price of the Dodge Diamante. He owned some cool cars and was dumping them to take care of his sick child. I can tell you that the Diamanté’s hidden headlights pop up at exactly 98 mph with a startling huge bang.

Most of the wind jobs I’ve been involved with are the Tehachapi, Mojave & jawbone canyon areas. Solar jobs all over creation, warren buffet’s was the largest we ever worked on. They try to use abandoned farmland because there is little environmental impact as it’s not virgin desert. We’ve done some crazy stuff for the military and we even pulled 6 1950’s diesel generator engines out of Reagan’s decommissioned bunker and replaced them all with just one 3512 CAT engine. Those all went to a museum in the Midwest. Most of the bomb shelters and Nike missle sites in California now belong to AT&T. I was told that bunker was last used by Bush during 9/11. That may or may not be true. It’s important because it used to be the only continuous buried landline from the west coast to DC. That fall out bunker is hiding in plain sight on the 58 by the Kia proving grounds outside Cal City. Looks like a closed down rest stop.

Here is a replacement engine for a repower. You can see how challenging or frustrating it is to redesign an older machine’s engine bay and doghouse to make it fit. The after treatment on top is almost as big as the engine and it generates a ton of heat. Most shade tree repowers don’t take that into account and if you don’t revamp the cooling package you’re eventually done for.

Hope that fills in the blanks. - Ed

View attachment 405521

View attachment 405522

View attachment 405523

View attachment 405524

View attachment 405526

View attachment 405530

View attachment 405531

View attachment 405532

Thank you very much for the personal history review as I feel like I know you a lot better now. You have had a wide variety of cars over the years and the Cuda AARs are one of my favorite cars. A friend of mine bought one new in 1970 who also worked for Chrysler engineering in Highland Park, Michigan. He worked in the steering and suspension lab, so an AAR was a natural fit for him. We often would ride to work together and I always enjoyed riding in that beast - it handled like a slot car on rails and was a great overall package. His was lime green with the black stripes.

I also got my first Cuda right around 1982 as well, (when I was 35) after I had left Chrysler when they went bankrupt in about 1980. I got the car with only 32K miles on it back then when they weren't so expensive anymore and it was one of my earlier restorations. It is kind of the opposite end of the spectrum from yours in the sense that it doesn't handle all that great since its weight balance isn't so good -mostly nose heavy but it does very well in a straight line once you get hooked up. I launched into restoring it right after I bought it since while it was low miles, it wasn't treated that well in terms of paint/body etc. I had already done a couple forward look cars by then and I was still learning when I did the Cuda. But it came out all right and I still have it. But it is a genuine one too with a factory shaker hood (photos below).

The only non-Chrysler product I have owned is a 1969 Mustang Mach 1.

You have a very interesting background and it sounds like you get around quite a bit in the job you now have and get to see things that most of us do not.

I hear you with the issues on repower emission controls on top the engines - those filters get really hot and regeneration is a real pain as I mentioned in my previous post. But everything looks very sanitary in terms of the workmanship.

Like you, I love California too, and glad you do as well.

All the best and thanks for sharing your background Ed. Very interesting and unique!

Steve

Cuda #2 (1) (1) (1) (1) (1) (1).jpg
Cuda #3 (1) (1) (1).jpg
Cuda #4 (3).jpg
Cuda #5 (1) (1) (1).jpg

Last edited:
Your pic of AAR being pushed reminds of my first car at 18 in 82. A challenger T/A auto burnt orange. I was always running out gas or breaking down and having friends come help push it home. There was always the guys that wanted to push by the deck spoiler and break it.

a lot of successful engineers and scientists innovating their way to prosperity and includes Tesla
As you know some on this board adamantly disagree that there is any real evidence for a "climate emergency" and I for one won't go down that rabbit hole with you again. WRT most established large corporations picking up the baton and moving forward I have little confidence with one exception Tesla. The energy storage problem is unlikely to be solved in the long run with battery technology but rather with capacitors. Capacitors using polymer technology have recently in the lab have been shown to be at the 200 wh/kg level but they are still far from any practical application. The only hope in the interim is using batteries albeit with more efficient production processes. In this regard Elon Musk has made the most recent progress although in his words "its hard".

They have mental health issues predominantly
Is that really the case? Most studies site a mental illness rate of somewhere between 20-30% among the homeless population. In the general population the annual rate of mental illness is estimated at 1 in 5. Not a big difference. Could it be that the rise of the "free stuff" welfare state makes opting out of the rat race and living on the margins, particularly in nicer climates, a viable option?

Back