Cam swap worth it? '68 383 newport

I'm talkin about the whole F-ing car, not just the underhood!!
Stubbs, where are any pictures of your car? I would like to see it.

@shaun65Polara where in Minnesota are you? I'm at the bottom of the state. Wow is all I have to say about the engine compartment, didn't expect that from the profile view! I like **** being wrong for all the right reasons, so you're good in my book. Looks like you enjoy the car and drive it often. A big Hell Yeah to that!

xiWczle14eOyOmh8PX3qD3bRHAEIrF9uM-EOisHU5LBYIhO9w9llPI_XwJwrW9Oe7ututduT.gif

Oh yeah, I've used the .484 purple shaft cam (used both times!) and I've been happy with the results. But I also have headers and a higher stall torque converter. Valve train remains stock with no issues.

the whole "f'n" car is a work in progress, of which the power plant was merely the first step...& i am doing the entirety of the mixed resto/upgrade by myself.
& YES, i am proud of my Polara Project !
I'm talkin about the whole F-ing car, not just the underhood!![/QUOTE

@shaun65Polara where in Minnesota are you? I'm at the bottom of the state. Wow is all I have to say about the engine compartment, didn't expect that from the profile view! I like **** being wrong for all the right reasons, so you're good in my book. Looks like you enjoy the car and drive it often. A big Hell Yeah to that!
Worthington, East Gateway mini storage is my temp. garage...for only a couple of more weeks. i spend most of my time driving a 2020 Kenworth. Polara road trip to Colorado coming up, so i'm still prepping car for that. Body work & Dark Gray paint job is a future aspect of my project.

Thanks man....
u near Worthington ?

tenor.gif

are you still open for suggestions ?
i have a 65 Polara/383/9.2-1 and just recently fired up my complete engine rebuild.
after lots of research about a year & a half ago...matching 383 commando specs as close as i could find, i went with a Howards racing cam with new Lifters & new TrickFlow push rods slightly different length vs OEM.
its runs really good, very responsive power and a sweet rumble with headers (TTI Style long tube), 2.5" Y pipe into 3" exhaust,
3" stainless magnaflow and 3" tail pipe.

if you're interested, i can get the info & send it to you perhaps this weekend. im currently in my big rig & away from my ride.

Quick Fuel 600
dual plane low rise intake
dual fuel pumps (mech+elec)
AmericanVolt radiator fan
MSD StreetFire w/Blaster2,
using factory dist
dual batteries & aux. fuse panel

Thanks for the info! I'm always open for good suggestions. Which specific camshaft do you have? And which torque converter and rear gears do you have?

Cool car! I like stuff being odd.

Oh yeah, I've used the .484 purple shaft cam (used both times!) and I've been happy with the results. But I also have headers and a higher stall torque converter. Valve train remains stock with no issues.

Thanks for your input! :) Which torque converter do you have? (which stall torque?)

Anyone have input on the camshaft and torque converters suggested by Hughes? Too big or fine?

Worthington, East Gateway mini storage is my temp. garage...for only a couple of more weeks. i spend most of my time driving a 2020 Kenworth. Polara road trip to Colorado coming up, so i'm still prepping car for that. Body work & Dark Gray paint job is a future aspect of my project.

Thanks man....
u near Worthington ?
I'm an hour east of you.

Thanks for your input! :) Which torque converter do you have? (which stall torque?)

Anyone have input on the camshaft and torque converters suggested by Hughes? Too big or fine?
I don't know what brand. Bought I of CL long ago and put it in when I swapped transmissions. It's probably a 2600 stall.

Couldn't tell you about Hughes as I haven't bought anything from them.

View attachment 381987

Thanks for the info! I'm always open for good suggestions. Which specific camshaft do you have? And which torque converter and rear gears do you have?

Cool car! I like stuff being odd.

torque converter is FACTORY
...i did NOT Change anything rear of engine.
Gear is 2.76

Hello;
I will leave the cam discussion to the many good posts, BUT.
Since you are taking the 383 engine apart, I have not seen any discussion of the exhaust port cleanup, as recommended by Mopar Performance for years.
These heads have a casting restriction, reasonably easy to clean up, that is worth 10 - 15 HP, for a little grinding.
Get the Mopar Performance engine manual for details. This is something I learned from an old NASCAR engine builder who guided me on one of my rebuilds.
Also, I assume the poster will be getting a three angle valve job too.
Mark

I don't know what brand. Bought I of CL long ago and put it in when I swapped transmissions. It's probably a 2600 stall.

Couldn't tell you about Hughes as I haven't bought anything from them.

Thanks for the info.
How is your experience with a 2600 stall converter.
Is it a bit cruisable?

torque converter is FACTORY
...i did NOT Change anything rear of engine.
Gear is 2.76

Thanks for the info :)

Hello;
I will leave the cam discussion to the many good posts, BUT.
Since you are taking the 383 engine apart, I have not seen any discussion of the exhaust port cleanup, as recommended by Mopar Performance for years.
These heads have a casting restriction, reasonably easy to clean up, that is worth 10 - 15 HP, for a little grinding.
Get the Mopar Performance engine manual for details. This is something I learned from an old NASCAR engine builder who guided me on one of my rebuilds.
Also, I assume the poster will be getting a three angle valve job too.
Mark

Great tip! Haven't come across this yet.
There are multiple "Mopar performance engine books" available.
Which specific one do you recommend?

mopar-performance-sprint-car-engine-build-up-manual-12.gif

978-155788302-5_1.jpg

Stick with that rear end gear! That's actually a GOOD highway gear ratio. I'm very happy with my 742 rear end so equipped.

Thanks. But I think I'm going to swap my 724 to 3.23 or 3.55. I won't use it a lot on the highway anyway. Mainly B-roads etc.
Highways are crappy to drive on in the Netherlands anyway. Especially since they've lowered the speed limit from 80mph to 60mph.

Thanks. But I think I'm going to swap my 724 to 3.23 or 3.55. I won't use it a lot on the highway anyway. Mainly B-roads etc.
Highways are crappy to drive on in the Netherlands anyway. Especially since they've lowered the speed limit from 80mph to 60mph.

Alas! You live in a PROFOUNDLY DIFFERENT environment from my own. Mathilda lopes along just past her idle at 60 mph. I love taking her on the Interstate to run her up to 80 mph, which, you rightly surmised is the speed the 2:76 rear end was designed for in 3rd gear. Of course, you could run more in 2nd gear, as I do in town often when I need a little more "gear" on my wheels. I had the tranny shop install a mild shift kit to help things with that.

By all means, adopt the 3:23. Its a very popular ratio. Not every driver likes shifting as I do.

Last edited:
Hello from Sweden,
I'm in a simular situation during TC but have already build the engine:
-66 Polara, 383 0.030 (389 cu.i.) flat forged pistons @0.019 down the hole, Edelbrock RPM intake, E-Body HP manifold, 2.5 double exhaust, 650 AVS2 carb, cold air intake air cleaner, 3.23 Auburn rear end, 915 heads, stock rebuild -66 727 with a valve body from -71 (with part throttle kickdown), full throttle shift @ about 4.700 rpm..
As the C-Body is a heavy car I choose the very mild Lunati 256/262 cam (Voodoo Hydraulic Flat Tappet - Chrysler 361-440 256/262) and I'm very pleased with the performance the last 3 years.
I've got the power where I want it.

BUT I have the stock TC and it have a stall speed @ about 1500rpm (measure from when the tires start spinning during breaking) and even if the cam makes a good torque down low the stall speed is to low to get a decent start from standing still. (The RPM intake kills a bit of low end but I have the regular Performance intake before and will never go back, the RPM intake is my absolute favorite).
I want at least another 500rpm stall speed but not too high, I still want to use the car as a daily driver.
Could this TC be something? Hughes Performance Street Rod Torque Converters 24-20
Or would I not feel any difference from stock TC?
Or should I go with this TC? Hughes Performance Street Master Torque Converters 24-25

Maybe a new thead about TC?...

Last edited:
Hello from Sweden,
I'm in a simular situation during TC but have already build the engine:
-66 Polara, 383 0.030 (389 cu.i.) flat forged pistons @0.019 down the hole, Edelbrock RPM intake, E-Body HP manifold, 2.5 double exhaust, 650 AVS2 carb, cold air intake air cleaner, 3.23 Auburn rear end, 915 heads, stock rebuild -66 727 with a valve body from -71 (with part throttle kickdown), full throttle shift @ about 4.700 rpm..
As the C-Body is a heavy car I choose the very mild Lunati 256/262 cam (Voodoo Hydraulic Flat Tappet - Chrysler 361-440 256/262) and I'm very pleased with the performance the last 3 years.
I've got the power where I want it.

BUT I have the stock TC and it have a stall speed @ about 1500rpm (measure from when the tires start spinning during breaking) and even if the cam makes a good torque down low the stall speed is to low to get a decent start from standing still. (The RPM intake kills a bit of low end but I have the regular Performance intake before and will never go back, the RPM intake is my absolute favorite).
I want at least another 500rpm stall speed but not too high, I still want to use the car as a daily driver.
Could this TC be something? Hughes Performance Street Rod Torque Converters 24-20
Or would I not feel any difference from stock TC?
Or should I go with this TC? Hughes Performance Street Master Torque Converters 24-25

Maybe a new thead about TC?...

Hi from The Netherlands!

Thanks for your input and engine specs. How do you like your lunati cam? It seems rather small for the engine combination?
How do you like your 3.23 rear end? I'm still not sure if I want the 3.23 or 3.55s...
And does the Part Throttle Kickdown add a lot to drivability in your opinion?

I'm pretty curious what TC you are going to pick and how you like it.
I'm also in between the 24-20 and 24-25..

Offtopic.
Since you are living in Sweden. Where do you get most of your parts from? Are there reasonable priced shops in Sweden (since there are a lot of restored american classics in Sweden). Or do you get most parts from the US?

Hi Metalmarty,

As the C-body is a heavy car i want as much torque as possible down low and that mild Lunati cam give me the power where I want it, It pulls real good from idle to full throttle shift, but with a higher stall TC I might have choose a little less mild cam.
To me the 3.23 is a good combination of acceleration and not that high rpm at highway cruise.
The PTK adds a lot of driveability in town, it was worth every penny.
I haven't make the choose of TC yet.

The prices from shops in Sweden is about (maybe a tad more expensive) what I pay for the parts from the US when including taxes and shipping etc. but if you're lucky you can find cheap used parts in Sweden once and awhile.

Back