Camshaft characteristics?

Yeah, that's pretty much the sound I am looking for as long as 3:23 gears will work well. I can always run an electric vacuum pump for the power brakes if need be.

So, that is a special order grind? If yes, what is the grind number?

Yeah, that's pretty much the sound I am looking for as long as 3:23 gears will work well. I can always run an electric vacuum pump for the power brakes if need be.

With a 4 speed you may be slipping the clutch a little, but a 440 can tug down low if the tune-up is right. I say try it and if you have to 3.55 or 3.91 it later, you won't have to crack the motor open again anyway.

The .484" PurpleShaft needs more gear and cam. I would say 3.55 minimum, 4.10 max on gear and maybe a 2500+ converter. Vacuum still adequate but not as plentiful for power brakes. My .02c
That's the combo I have, luckily my brakes still have enough vacuum to work.

The 285 is pretty lumpy.
I had this "XE285HL" ground on a 112LSA (smoother) but with a slightly longer duration exhaust lobe. Should mimic the shelf cam pretty closely due to similar overlap. This is a TRW 6pack piston engine with milled open chamber heads, so 10:1 compression probably. 500+hp easy-peasy.

That's one engine build I plan on doing, any special tricks or just a basic rebuild? You can PM me so we don't hijack Andy's thread.

That's one engine build I plan on doing, any special tricks or just a basic rebuild? You can PM me so we don't hijack Andy's thread.[/QUOTE]

PM sent.

That's the combo I have, luckily my brakes still have enough vacuum to work.

That's one engine build I plan on doing, any special tricks or just a basic rebuild? You can PM me so we don't hijack Andy's thread.

Please include as we all would like to know. Myself as well.

That's what I thought. There was THE Original Purple Shaft Cam. Then MoparPerf came out with a "Purple Shaft Series" of cams, about 15 years ago? 'Updated " profiles and most 110LSA cams, as I recall.

CBODY67

That's what I thought. There was THE Original Purple Shaft Cam. Then MoparPerf came out with a "Purple Shaft Series" of cams, about 15 years ago? 'Updated " profiles and most 110LSA cams, as I recall.

CBODY67

That's right. The original Hemi grind B cam (PurpleShaft) was though by some to be too big of a "first step" upgrade, since most 383's and all 440's had a 12" converter (tight) and the short times (60ft.) usually would increase as the engine labored against stock converter and gearing to get to it's "sweet spot." At the same time the Street Hemi grind was updated to less advertised duration and the lobe centers increased to help vacuum/idle, they also released the 272/.455"/112LSA PurpleShaft as more of a "no-mods" upgrade with more torque but similar if not more HP than the 375hp resto (Road Runner) cam.

That would be part# P4286676. Specs like this is one up from an "RV" cam.

In the early '90s I built a stock 440 from a '75 Imperial with hardened valve seats, Street Hemi valvesprings and the P4286676 cam (272/.455/112) and it ran great! Loped a little cold but smoothed out nicely warm, good vacuum and great bottom end. I used it in a '70 D200 CamperSpecial with 3.54 (Dana 60) gears and a 727 with the 12" Imperial stock torque converter. Later a friend got it and the matched lifters in a trade we made, and used it in several 383's, including a 3.23 geared 4 speed '71 Super Bee.. :)

2017-04-22 21.11.20.jpg

Biggest problem with Mopar Performance cams is they are way over priced now (for who knows what reason) and no one has them in stock because of price, they are getting them drop shipped.

Biggest problem with Mopar Performance cams is they are way over priced now (for who knows what reason) and no one has them in stock because of price, they are getting them drop shipped.

MoPar Performance has shifted to Comp Cams now, so they are promoting them and de-emphasizing the Purple cams. :(

I was told by Steve Dulcich to run the XE275HL in the Polara with a 440, slight stall, and 3.55's, needs 9.0:1 compression as per company website. The XE285HL says 10.0:1, higher stall and deeper gears. I picked up the 285 for cheap, have touched ran this can in a car before, if so, how streetable was it? Trying to determine if it would work for my driver or if I should out it in my Dart, which will be more "wild".
Just curious, did you meet him in person? Or?

MoPar Performance has shifted to Comp Cams now, so they are promoting them and de-emphasizing the Purple cams. :(
That explains it. I am replacing a 292/509 cam in my brother in law's car. It was used, and I like it but he does not want it that wild and finnicky, to each their own. I wanted to put the 272/474 purple cam but $350 steered me clear so I had him buy a 275 comp cam. Need to get it in there this winter to make the car more drivable.

When Comp Cams "hit the scene" with their High Energy series in the '80s, they were "ground-breaking" in that they had asymetrical-shaped lobes, faster rise time, slower closing time. Prior to this, there were various ways to put more "area under the curve", whether by larger lifter diameters, mushroom lifters, or roller lifters, but nothing of this nature. One of their traits seemed to be that when new, they sounded like a solid lifter cam, but where hydraulics, for several thousand miles. The 268 worked great in Chevy 350s. Reasonably smooth idle at 650rpm, "radical" when slowed down to about 500rpm. Even better with headers The specs on the CC HE 268 are close to the MP272. I got one for a motorhome-block 440 I was going to put together I later chucked it into the short block, added the degree wheel and dial indicator, and checked its timing events. Sure enough, the intake valve was open for a full 10 crank degrees at max lift, unlike the orig Purple Shaft 284 that max lift happened for 1 crank degree at max lift (which I suspect is normal for most cams). Had to re-check that max lift duration!

Allegedly the ONLY Chrysler replacement cams which are designed for the larger Chrysler valve lifter are the Hughes Engines cams. Their claim is that the others are designed for "Chevy size" lifters and used with Chrysler-sized lifters. One "claimer engine" trick is to bore the lifter bores on a Chevy small block to Chrysler size and used the larger Chrysler lifters in them, for more power. In north TX, nobody had heard of Hughes, but his focus at that time (in the middle 1990s) was totally Mopar. When David Vizzard was beginning to tout closed chamber combustion chambers, Hughes had some "quench dome" pistons to make open chambers into closed chambers, effectively. Even now, he's probably more of a niche-builder than a mainstream-builder, but still worth consideration. Be that as it may.

Of late, many of the Lunati stock-type cams have raised my interest. Many new series of cams, also claiming assymetrical lobe shapes. Another is Rocket Cams. There are many camshaft "sellers", but very FEW actual camshaft grinders, under contact with the "sellers".

CBODY67

The "intensity" of most PurpleShaft cams equate to .875" (Ford) lifter minimums. Engle, Ultradyne (now Bullet), Lunati (also has Ultradyne masters), Howards Cams, Crane Cams, Comp Cams, and others offer .875 and .904" (MoPar, AMC and early Olds .921") lobes all day long, some on shelf cams.

Back