Camshaft characteristics?

I'm still very happy with the cam. I went from non HP 383 cam to Lunati 10230701 and that was a real difference.
I don't know how much difference it will be with the Lunati compared to the original HP 383 cam but I really like the 10230701.
Sounds good! Any issues with the installation? I'm going to run break in oil and lube everything up with black moly lube. Did you reuse your pushrods?

I'm still very happy with the cam. I went from non HP 383 cam to Lunati 10230701 and that was a real difference.
I don't know how much difference it will be with the Lunati compared to the original HP 383 cam but I really like the 10230701.
As a cross reference it is the old Lunati 60301 designation.

No issues with the installation but remember that the 10230701 is a 3 bolt cam.
Follow the break in instruction exactly from Lunati and you will be fine.
I changed my head gasket at the same time and the new gaskets was not the same thickness as the old ones so it messed up the prelod of the lifters so I didn't use my old pushrods.
If you don't change anything that changes the height you will probably end up with right preload with your old ones and you can use them.

I run a 292H in a ford 390 FE great sound. no power under 2500 until I installed a multispark ignition then it would pull from 1500. This is with a 3.91 rear gear. It is explosive above 3500. pulls to 6500 but I redline it at 6k. Needs either a vacuum can or vacuum pump for power brakes, engine vacuum is between 7 &9 inches at 850 rpm. With just the vacuum can I needed to blip the RPM up to 2500 when in traffic (4speed) to keep enough vacuum for the brakes. timing had to be set for 20 degrees initial with 36 degrees max. I run a vacuum pump now. It dropped my ET from 13.9 @ 99 mph to 13.1 @105 in the quarter, but that may not be all cam I also installed a Detroit locker at the same time.

No issues with the installation but remember that the 10230701 is a 3 bolt cam.
Follow the break in instruction exactly from Lunati and you will be fine.
I changed my head gasket at the same time and the new gaskets was not the same thickness as the old ones so it messed up the prelod of the lifters so I didn't use my old pushrods.
If you don't change anything that changes the height you will probably end up with right preload with your old ones and you can use them.
Sounds good. I wont be taking the heads off so I should be ok on pre-load as all clearances should remain the same. I picked up a pack of 3 cam bolts. Main reason for going in is to replace the original timing chain. I'm going to do new oil pan gasket and rear main seal also. Decided to put in new gas pump and oil pump while things are apart. Water pump was recently replaced. Also, valve springs and stem seals were replaced by previous owner.

I think that Lunati has some pretty mild hydraulic rollers for B engines. They're pricey but available.
Which Lunati "series" is that cam from? Just curious.

In looking at cams, I now find more that I like in the Lunati line than in the past. Wish there were more "street rollers', with normal valve lift figures, though, that would last 100K miles or more.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Sounds good. I wont be taking the heads off so I should be ok on pre-load as all clearances should remain the same. I picked up a pack of 3 cam bolts. Main reason for going in is to replace the original timing chain. I'm going to do new oil pan gasket and rear main seal also. Decided to put in new gas pump and oil pump while things are apart. Water pump was recently replaced. Also, valve springs and stem seals were replaced by previous owner.
Then you should be ok.
Please share the work of the rear main seal, are you doing the work with the engine and transmission still in the car?
I did this a couple of years ago and I didn't get it 100% sealed, a small, small amount of oil leaks from the rear main seal. Nothingt that worries me but very irritating.

Then you should be ok.
Please share the work of the rear main seal, are you doing the work with the engine and transmission still in the car?
I did this a couple of years ago and I didn't get it 100% sealed, a small, small amount of oil leaks from the rear main seal. Nothingt that worries me but very irritating.
I will take and post some pics of the entire job. I'll be working on it with the transmission and crank/engine installed, which of course, is the difficult way to install a rear main seal.

Back